Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

the more realistic hooves on the g5 ponies

cupcakery

(edited)

I barely noticed the hooves on the g5 ponies, and not going to lie I don't rlly like it. It isn't that deep I know, but it's kinda weird since it's the first time the mlp franchise had those hooves I'm pretty sure (?) I also noticed that the they're the same in Pony Life. (in the photo, you can see what I'm talking about. They are thick and have fur. The hooves we are used to seem more...squishy ig? ps. I hope the photo works)

2620226__safe_izzy+moonbow_pipp+petals_sunny+starscout_zipp+storm_earth+pony_pegasus_pony_unicorn_g5_my+little+pony-colon-+a+new+adventure_official_puzzle_raven.jpg

Edited by cupcakery
  • Brohoof 2

They remind me of stuffed golden pillows, so not so realistic in my opinion.

I think the main design choice here is the hoof fur. It has been a trend for a long time to add more fur onto pony art, and I think Hasbro's designers picked up on that. Again, I want my ponies to be marshmallow and not cotton candy.

• Brohoof 2

I might be one of the very, VERY few that kinda find the hooves to be cute. :wacko: I have little to no issue with the visual designs, other than the sometimes uncanny blank stares. I also feel the hooves match the 3D far better than if they went with the G4 standard. That's key to me. It gives the design more of its own identity. 

• Brohoof 8

27 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

I might be one of the very, VERY few that kinda find the hooves to be cute. :wacko: I have little to no issue with the visual designs, other than the sometimes uncanny blank stares. I also feel the hooves match the 3D far better than if they went with the G4 standard. That's key to me. It gives the design more of its own identity. 

I understand what you mean, I'm just used to the more cutesy romanticized versions of ponies LOL

• Brohoof 3

TBH, I thought it was a interesting design choice, but I can understand why you don't like them.

5 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

They don’t bother me as much. Better than Horse Life that’s for sure :dash:. I do still prefer non visible feathered hooves as in FIM however 

Ditto.

43 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

That's fair.

15 minutes ago, cupcakery said:

I understand what you mean, I'm just used to the more cutesy romanticized versions of ponies LOL

Same here.

• Brohoof 3

9 hours ago, cupcakery said:

I barely noticed the hooves on the g5 ponies, and not going to lie I don't rlly like it. It isn't that deep I know, but it's kinda weird since it's the first time the mlp franchise had those hooves I'm pretty sure (?) I also noticed that the they're the same in Pony Life

It would be nice if you provide a picture and you're opening post so I'll be able to see what you're talking about. Please add one in

• Brohoof 2

38 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

It would be nice if you provide a picture and you're opening post so I'll be able to see what you're talking about. Please add one in

Of course! 

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

I like their hooves too, I don’t have a problem with them

• Brohoof 4

I like them? More realistic hooves make sense with computer animation, which is supposed to make things look more realistic, less cartoony. Also do not see the Pony Life resemblance. Pony Life did give the characters visible hooves, but there, they look like crowns, not actual hooves. 

I am sort of neutral on the hooves myself, but I can definitely see what you are saying. I also have some issues with the G5 pony designs such as body shape, wing design/colors, and the sometimes off-putting expressions. It could be worse of course, but it is still is nothing like G4.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

I like them? More realistic hooves make sense with computer animation, which is supposed to make things look more realistic, less cartoony. Also do not see the Pony Life resemblance. Pony Life did give the characters visible hooves, but there, they look like crowns, not actual hooves. 

efhjekshf what I mean is that they're visible in the first place /nm (that stand for not mad)

I don't mind the new hooves, they look fine to me. I also appreciate the different appearance that the G5 ponies have compared to G4, it's good that the developers are changing things.

• Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

I might be one of the very, VERY few that kinda find the hooves to be cute. :wacko:

Oops I find them kinda cute too :please: 
Maybe it's to remind people that these are horses despite the human-like faces :huh:

• Brohoof 1

i actually think they're super cute, i loved that look in some G4 fanart so i'm pretty happy with the change. they look like the pony equivalent of nail polish and i love that lol.

i'm not super familiar with mythology but i could've swore unicorns sometimes had hooves that look like that?

• Brohoof 2

34 minutes ago, Zero said:

i actually think they're super cute, i loved that look in some G4 fanart so i'm pretty happy with the change. they look like the pony equivalent of nail polish and i love that lol.

i'm not super familiar with mythology but i could've swore unicorns sometimes had hooves that look like that?

true! also I like your icon, I love blaze ^^

• Brohoof 1

I am indifferent to this design choice. The designs of everything in the movie are meant to look realistic so the choice for the hooves makes sense. I think it’ll just take some time to get used to.

• Brohoof 2

24 minutes ago, Dusky Wings said:

I don't really mind it since G5 is meant to looking be a bit more realistic. Besides, I don't they'd look right if their hooves were full-on fur

I get what you're saying, a lot of people have been saying this, but I think them going for a realistic look is my problem in the first place :T /nm (sorry if this sounded mean/rude i don't have ill intentions at all)

• Brohoof 2