Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will the Season 10 Comic Overwrite the Show's Canon?

Misty Shadow

I just finished reading the first five issues of Season 10 in the first compilation book and the introduction to the new Tree of Harmony surprised me. Applejack doesn't even comment on Sombra or how the Tree should be destroyed. I have read...interesting comments on how the comic has already retconned Zecora's character, among other things, and of course, a lot of people are unhappy. Me personally, I would not mind at all if the comic overwrote some things from the show as opposed to some things from its own continuity. Not just because there were some things in the show I didn't like, but because I like the idea of the comic doing its own thing and having some way to distinguish itself from the show, having its own identity. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

the comics and novels have always felt like "B" canon to me. 
official, but only so far as it doesn't contradict the show, and it isn't fair to judge show characters based on what they learned or experienced in the comics.  
the comics and novels benefited from freedom to to less oversight, but less oversight also meant they didn't necessarily conform to the overall vision.  

this opinion of the comics isn't changed by some of the comics being called "season 10".  

but if you disagree, that's fine.  i know i don't have much of a leg to stand on in support of my theory. 

--

" I like the idea of the comic doing its own thing and ... having its own identity. "

yeah, for sure.  that's made them really great.  

Edited by weesh
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

The comics on multiple occasions has gone against a lot of what was established in the past for the main show, often for the worst. S10 just feels like just doesn't care. Personally my biggest issue with S10's main arc is not just for how lame it its but just for how much time its wasted to it's own detriment.

Edited by Megas

From what I've read of the "Season Ten" comics, they definitely do ignore pre-established world-building and aspects of characters. Especially with the whole "multiple-ToH" thing that very much broke the uniqueness of Equestria and made the mane six seem less significant. Of course, since it's still just the comics, which have been known to break canon multiple times before, they can just be considered non-canon (which is what I consider them at this point). It's just tricky when they slap the title "Season Ten" on there, despite it going against and damaging the pre-established world of Equestria.

I hate when they do stuff like this. :dry: Why is it so hard to just keep a story consistent?

I know the comics have always done their own thing but with this being called "season 10" and with no show to contradict it you'd think they could get it right. :adorkable:

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-06-30 at 1:05 AM, Metal Brony 42 said:

You think that's bad, they team up with the Transformers. How's that for canon? :blink:

The sequel starts out by using Quibble Pants to flat-out state that it's not intended to fit within established canon.

I kind of like the general idea of every nation having their own Tree.  It reminds me of something from one of C. S. Lewis's novels, That Hideous Strength, where the characters are sort of discussing the denouement, and saying that every nation has its own set of virtues that need to be nurtured for them to truly be themselves.  If each nation in Equestria's world has their own Tree, their own set of virtues from which they derive their magic, that'd be a beautiful thing, indeed.

That being said, I do see some problems:

1) Harmony---which I define as "The Whole Is Greater Than The Sum Of The Parts"---is Equestria's thing.  Other nations should have their own virtues; their trees shouldn't be called Trees of Harmony.

2) The Tree of Harmony in Everfree Forest had a specific event that led to its creation:  it was created by the Seven Pillars.  So what even led to the creation of the other Trees?  Unless seeds of the original Tree of Harmony flew to and germinated in other countries, it doesn't make sense that the other Trees would even exist.

• Brohoof 1