Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The G5 movie is PG

eventyraren

About as violent as the last movie, which was also PG. 

So expect them to also go against the Geneva convention and commit war crimes via the use of a baby dragon. 

It won't feature any extreme levels of violence or the other connotations that constitute what anything is rated. I'm going to say that it will have minor violence perhaps for comedic effect or wanting to drive home some kind of despair. There might even be some words that are deemed slightly inappropriate which can cause a movie's rating to be increased accordingly. Or, maybe the rating was given because of there potentially being some slapstick comedy. I know I'm pulling at straws here but this is what I came up with.

• Brohoof 3

The tv show has more cruelsome death scenes so i dont how the movie could top it because the last movie couldnt. Nothing can beat Sombra second death or Mean 6 getting their face melt. I expect some dark humors at least.

• Brohoof 1

Considering that the G4 movie was also rated PG, it's not a big surprise that this one is rated that as well. What is intriguing though, is that instead of the reason being for mild action and violence, it is for thematic elements, which could be all sorts of things. Maybe it is referring to the three pony types being separated and disliking towards each other. That might fit under the category of "thematic elements".

(edited)
9 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

It won't feature any extreme levels of violence or the other connotations that constitute what anything is rated. I'm going to say that it will have minor violence perhaps for comedic effect or wanting to drive home some kind of despair. There might even be some words that are deemed slightly inappropriate which can cause a movie's rating to be increased accordingly. Or, maybe the rating was given because of there potentially being some slapstick comedy. I know I'm pulling at straws here but this is what I came up with.

Valid concerns, because PG-rated material, as well as series rated G and TV-Y7, tended to show violence, rude language, and the like. 

If that ends up being the case for G5, I'm taking that as a warning sign because I don't watch MLP for that.

Edited by Sasoriman

Hm, I've never really paid attention to movie ratings. When I was a kid my parents never much cared if I saw violence or swearing and I never asked to watch anything with a lot of sex.

But this won't be a theater movie, will it? As far as I know there's no point getting an official rating if it's not so maybe that's just an unofficial rating so parents won't complain.

This sounds even less PG than the FiM movie.

Both of which should have been G, and would have been 15 years ago

1 hour ago, Sasoriman said:

Valid concerns, because PG-rated material, as well as series rated G and TV-Y7, tended to show violence, rude language, and the like. 

If that ends up being the case for G5, I'm taking that as a warning sign because I don't watch MLP for that.

With animated movies, they can do things that can't be done in a regular animated cartoon show which may explain the PG rating for the generation five movie.

I mean, what else were you expecting? This is still a movie about colourful ponies discovering friendship, so PG is kinda to be expected. No different than your typical Pixar or Disney movie.

2 hours ago, Sasoriman said:

By today's MPAA standards, "violence" could mean "violence on the level of the Mane Six going up against Chrysalis and Tirek", and "rude language" could mean anything remotely insulting from one character to another (like how one Canadian network censored the word "fools" from "The Cutie Map").

The last G-rated movie I remember that wasn't aimed exclusively at preschoolers was the 2015 Peanuts movie.

(edited)
1 hour ago, HedonismBot said:

The last G-rated movie I remember that wasn't aimed exclusively at preschoolers was the 2015 Peanuts movie.

Cars 3 & Toy Story 4 are also G-rated, and they came out in 2017 and '19, respectively.

———

15 hours ago, eventyraren said:

I am not an expert on film rating, so how violent do you think the movie will be?

The MPAA attached the PG rating to the 2017 film for mild action, and the violence warranted it. However, this one's due to "thematic elements," so it may have something to do with the film's presentation and themes. Zootopia was rated PG in part because of its themes of prejudice and political corruption; we might see something similar here.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 3

16 hours ago, Pearly Marshmallow said:

image.png.db528fd2efd87b49a8492119693a82cb.png

image.png.346d23065934b46bf71e0b5cefaa2cbb.png

It might sound strange, but the idea of a dystopian society and the theme of corruption being present in the movie really catch my attention. :huh:

OMG! Imagine what the film would be like if every thematic element listed was prominently featured!

4 hours ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Cars 3 & Toy Story 4 are also G-rated, and they came out in 2017 and '19, respectively.

4 hours ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Zootopia was rated PG in part because of its themes of we might see something similar here.

Soo growing old and abendenment i G but prejudice and political corruption is PG? Good to know. 

On 2021-07-08 at 11:19 AM, Pearly Marshmallow said:

image.png.db528fd2efd87b49a8492119693a82cb.png

image.png.346d23065934b46bf71e0b5cefaa2cbb.png

It might sound strange, but the idea of a dystopian society and the theme of corruption being present in the movie really catch my attention. :huh:

Pull out your checklist and mark every subtle thing you find in there:mustache:  

• Brohoof 1

That's good, PG doesn't heavily restrict the content of a movie like G does, but it also doesn't go too far regarding content intended for adults alike any rating above PG-13. In my opinion, PG and PG-13 are very good ratings for a movie since most audiences can enjoy them equally.

• Brohoof 2