Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do your parents think about you being a fan of MLP?

Paleopony

How did your parents first react? Do they think of it positively or negatively? Has their opinions changed since then?

My parents have a negative opinion of MLP and probably don't like the fact that I like it as much as I do. They know I like it but they never have explicitly said anything about it to me. I do hope they change their minds about it!

How about you guys?

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

I dunno they know I like it a bit I guess since I drawn and made stuff I'm not like big into it like some ppl who are so it isn't a big thing plus i'm female so it's not so weird I guess. Though they probs be weirded out if I had much of the toys.

A lot of it is kinda tacky anyway xP fan stuff is better mostly imo tho the small figurines can be good and cute or the comics or that. It's not really that weird really just a show.

Edited by Stardust
  • Brohoof 3

Sadly, my parents wanted me out of the fandom right away. They wanted me to "grow up" and get away from those "lost losers". I hate to say this, but my parents will become the "lost losers" if they keep that mindset, as even though I am a Christian, I live by the motto made by Skillet "I'll do what I want 'cause this is my life."

• Brohoof 7

6 minutes ago, Courageous Thunder Dash said:

Sadly, my parents wanted me out of the fandom right away. They wanted me to "grow up" and get away from those "lost losers". I hate to say this, but my parents will become the "lost losers" if they keep that mindset, as even though I am a Christian, I live by the motto made by Skillet "I'll do what I want 'cause this is my life."

I won't tell my parents since I know they think that people who watch mlp are disabled or something. It sucks that I have to hide my true talent from them out of fear of judgement. I do know that they knew that I watched it years ago and they used to tease me about it.

• Brohoof 2

I remember my mom was completely okay with being a fan with MLP. She told me that if it was something that I liked and that it didn't hurt me, then she was okay with it. My dad didn't really say much about it as he never really said anything on the subject. However, I think he wasn't all for me being a fan. I think after some time, he was supportive of me become a fan with MLP. 

• Brohoof 3

My entire family, and closest friend know about me being into MLP now. They didn't know when I joined this Forum.

They are all supportive, clearly understanding, and really nice about it. 

But it took quite a long time before I told or talked about it, so it was clearly not easy.

• Brohoof 2

I shove ponies on my friends mouth.. so they could only react through chocking.:laugh:

20 minutes ago, SugarPaws said:

My parents are supportive of it since it's something they know I really like

I give you a bro hoof..... FIRST!

• Brohoof 1

My parents think it is funny :P although they aren't a fan when it eats into family time. We negotiate around that.

Also I have got literally all my family saying "hoof" and "hoofing" at all opportunities and made all my nieces and nephews fall in love with MLP :mlp_pinkie:

• Brohoof 3

Since I'm a married 42 year old woman (OMG, I'm old!) my parents don't care what I watch.

^_^

My husband claims he's not a brony, but he watches with me sometimes. I did get him to admit to being a fan of She-Ra though!

• Brohoof 4

ever since i started watching (i was around 7-8 yrs old btw) my mom kinda made fun of me??? even tho i was target demographic, she would still poke fun at me :okiedokieloki:

she still sometimes jokes about it, after 10 years, but she doesn't care c': 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think my parents were a bit surprised and confused at first, but they got used to it pretty quick. They even got me pony bed sheets for Christmas one time. That's probably one of my favourite gifts ever from them. :P I think they'd only start having a problem with it if it started taking over my life in a negative way.

• Brohoof 2

It's kinda strange. My parents are pretty conservative. I'm almost sure they at least passively wondered if I was gay when I was a teen. My dad flipped out like a devout Catholic when he found out I was interested in the Occult. And I know they thought it was weird when I got into the Pony fandom. But I had always been a very depressed person, and they saw the positive impact it had on me. They saw me becoming happier. They saw me go from being terrified of people, to becoming very outgoing. After years of therapy, antidepressants, and psychological reprogramming going absolutely nowhere, In this case, it seems the results spoke for themselves, so they just stepped back and accepted it.

Im a bit younger so it's not as weird, but my siblings make fun of me constantly. I'm not bothered by it. I just wish they had something better to do than make fun of me for watching a show XP