Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Teaser Trailer For Pixar's Turning Red

PoisonClaw

Growing up is a beast. Check out the new trailer for the upcoming all-new original feature film “Turning Red” from Pixar Animation Studios’ director Domee Shi, who won an Oscar® for her 2018 short film, “Bao.” Young actress Rosalie Chiang lends her voice to Mei Lee, a 13-year-old who suddenly “poofs” into a giant red panda when she gets too excited (which is practically ALWAYS). Sandra Oh voices Mei Lee’s protective, if not slightly overbearing mother, Ming, who is never far from her daughter—an unfortunate reality for the teenager. Directed by Shi and produced by Lindsey Collins, Disney and Pixar’s “Turning Red” releases March 11, 2022.

Thoughts? I think this looks super cute personally, and the fact that it clearly takes place in Toronto given the clear view of the CN Tower in one scene makes me super happy as a Canadian.

• Brohoof 1

25 minutes ago, ExplosionMare said:

Interesting :huh:

I may need to see a second trailer before I decide if I like this, but it doesn’t look bad right now. I wonder what the mom is up to, maybe she’s being a helicopter parent?

That appears to be the case, not only judging by her actions in the trailer but the brief blurb describing her as a "Protective, if not slightly overbearing mother who is never far from her daughter". Sounds like classic helicopter-parenting to me.

This looks kinda stupid...definitely more-so aimed at children rather than children & adults like a lot of other Pixar movies.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, The Wife of Hawks said:

This looks kinda stupid...definitely more-so aimed at children rather than children & adults like a lot of other Pixar movies.

It looks like a modernized version of Brave that is set in Canada instead of Scotland. 

2 hours ago, ExplosionMare said:

maybe she’s being a helicopter parent?

Maybe, the mother will turn into a helicopter and chase after her Red Panda daughter. Now *that* could be interesting. :wau:

(edited)

It is low key reminding me of the anime Ranma1/2

Genma Saotome turns into a panda if he gets splashed with cold water. His son, the manly Ranma, turns into a very pretty girl (In EVERY DETAIL) if he gets splashed with cold water.

image_400x400.jpg

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

On 2021-07-14 at 3:53 AM, TomDaBombMLP said:

That is just... weird and I have so many questions about how on earth that's happening. :blink:

But, it's Pixar. I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing. ;)

Why does this remind me :arethosehands:of the Shadow the Hedgehog video game?  Or it could be The Incredible Hulk, you know, for kids:ticking:  

I'll give it a shot, but I still miss the scope of the older Pixars. Pixar's movies always used to be 'event' movies that I'd anticipate all year but now they're just sort of, "That's nice, I'll take a look when it shows up." Luca was just a time waster, harmless and mildly entertaining, but ultimately a write-off. The character design of their newer movies look like something out of Wallace and Grommit. Not very appealing. I still like Pixar movies, I just can't break an excited sweat over them anymore.

I mean it looks cute. But I haven’t heard Backstreet Boys used for anything really in years holy shit I feel like it’s the early 2000s with that trailers music.