Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which season of MLP: FIM is the best?

Paleopony

Which season of MLP: FIM is the best?  

24 users have voted

1. 1. Which season of MLP: FIM is the best?

• Season 1
    • Season 2
    • Season 3
    • Season 4
    • Season 5
    • Season 6
    • Season 7
    • Season 8
    • Season 9

Season 7 just for the first half alone, so many high quality episodes(Parental Glideance, Perfect Pear, A Royal Problem, Discordant Harmony), while the second half still has it's fair share of strong episodes as well(Once Upon A Zeppelin, A Health of Information, Mane Thing About You). Heck even some of the episodes I was getting ready to hate I actually ended up liking quite a bit(A Flurry of Emotions and Secrets and Pies comes to mind)

• Brohoof 6

For me, the best season is season 2. This season took the already amazing first season, and improved upon it. From the character development, to the writing, to the worldbuilding, and even just the overall feel of the season, it was amazing all around. I still find myself going back to this season to watch its plethora of great episodes, and just reminisce in it's simple, heartwarming charm. In fact, my favorite episode in the entire series, "Hurricane Fluttershy", is also in this season. It's just a great season overall.

• Brohoof 4

Season 5. I love the series-changing events like the Cutie Mark Crusaders finally getting their cutie marks, I love Starlight Glimmer, both the premiere and finale are fantastic, I love the introduction of alternate timelines, and it has Slice of Life. Definitely my favorite season besides Season 4. :kirin:

• Brohoof 2

Personally, I'll go with the first 5 seasons of the show. The best one for me it's Season 1. I don't care what anyone said, I'll defend it til the day I die. It's a season it knew where it wanted to be. I love it's laid back nature. I just love seeing cute ponies just being cute. It's happy, lighthearted, and all around fun. It had a great mix of Powerpuff Girls, Foster's Home, and Ed Edd n Eddy all in one show. I wish the show was still like this because it just make the show all the more fun.

I used to think Season 2 is overrated, but looking back on it, Season 2 is a close second favorite season because it started to grow on me a lot more than I do back then. It had a lot of charm and wit like Season 1 did. I find the jokes hilarious, the animation was bouncy and expressive and it works so well(unlike the later seasons). Sure, Mare Do Well, Putting your Hoof Down, and Dragon Quest exists, but the good always outweighs the bad.

Season 3 was a bit of a mixed bag. There are some good things about it, but others? Not so much. Is it as bad as Season 6-9? No. It's nowhere near that bad. Is it as good as the previous seasons? No. It's nowhere near that good. 

On the other hand, Season 4 is a massive improvement and I really like that season so much. 

2 hours ago, Megas said:

Season 7 just for the first half alone, so many high quality episodes(Parental Glideance, Perfect Pear, A Royal Problem, Discordant Harmony), while the second half still has it's fair share of strong episodes as well(Once Upon A Zeppelin, A Health of Information, Mane Thing About You). Heck even some of the episodes I was getting ready to hate I actually ended up liking quite a bit(A Flurry of Emotions and Secrets and Pies comes to mind)

I could say the same thing about Season 5. I adore this season just for the first half. So many God-teir episodes like A Lost Treasure of Griffinstone, Tanks for the Memories, Slice of Life, Amending Fences, and Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep. While the second half of the season had great episodes like Crusaders of the Lost Mark, The Main Attraction, Brotherhooves Social, Heartbreakers, Carousel Boutique and Made in Manehattan. Season 5 had some okay episodes, but when Cutie ReMark came along, the show went downhill from there. Other than that, I love Season 5.

So yeah, I prefer Season 1.

• Brohoof 6

It's a tie between 8 and 9 for me.

Those two have always just been my favorites lol.

Idk, I'm just not really a big fan of the earlier seasons. (Mainly 1 and 2)

I do also kinda like season 5 though, good stuff.

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, JMTV99 said:

Me too, bro. Me too.:ticking:

I enjoyed it bc it was lighthearted fun that was serious when it needed to be. anyone could just sit down, watch it, and enjoy themselves :)

• Brohoof 2

Either Season 5 or 7. I'd say Season 7 was a bit more consistent quality-wise, but at the same time Season 5's best episodes still just stick out to me a little more than a lot of Season 7's best episodes (although The Perfect Pear is easily one of the show's best), and I admittedly do have more nostalgia for Season 5 (as well as 4 for that matter) largely due to how much more active the fandom felt back then, plus how fun it was to discuss some of the episodes.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, cupcakery said:

I enjoyed it bc it was lighthearted fun that was serious when it needed to be. anyone could just sit down, watch it, and enjoy themselves :)

Yup.:mlp_pinkie:

(edited)

I can never decide really. I love the earlier seasons where everything was so simple and easygoing, but I don't mind the large amount of world-building that we got in the later seasons, even if I didn't always like the revelations. :kindness: I love the show too much to decide and I can gladly sit down and watch any episode any day. :wub: (Except for the ones with the Student Six.) :P

Edited by TomDaBombMLP
  • Brohoof 6

I like the 8th season the most. It's exactly where the Young Six were introduced. There are plenty cool songs. It was good to hear new voices in the series.

• Brohoof 2

For me it's Season 5 for several reasons. It was the 1st season that came out after I became an MLP fan, it has my favorite episode, and its general quality is consistently good, in my opinion. 

• Brohoof 3

Season 5.

1. Best two-part premiere, best villain song, and (at the time) the best villain.
  2. This season experimented by putting the Mane Six and CMCs in the role as teachers of the Magic of Friendship, and for the most part, they put it into really good use.
  3. When the season released a good episode, it was REALLY good.
    1. Slice of Life: still a severely underrated episode, with a tightly-written story, an excellent moral, and fantastic characterization of the background ponies.
    2. Cutie Map: A multi-layered episode with a masterful mix of humor and especially horror. The most disturbing episode outside of Health of Info.
    3. Amending Fences: Best Twilight episode with the first moment to make me cry.
    4. Lost Mark: Best CMC episode, and a phenomenal conclusion to their first arc.
    5. Mane Attraction: Best AJ episode at the time.
    6. Re-Mark: Fantastic conclusion with one of the best reformations of the series.
  • Brohoof 3

41 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Season 5.

1. Best two-part premiere, best villain song, and (at the time) the best villain.
  2. This season experimented by putting the Mane Six and CMCs in the role as teachers of the Magic of Friendship, and for the most part, they put it into really good use.
  3. When the season released a good episode, it was REALLY good.
    1. Slice of Life: still a severely underrated episode, with a tightly-written story, an excellent moral, and fantastic characterization of the background ponies.
    2. Cutie Map: A multi-layered episode with a masterful mix of humor and especially horror. The most disturbing episode outside of Health of Info.
    3. Amending Fences: Best Twilight episode with the first moment to make me cry.
    4. Lost Mark: Best CMC episode, and a phenomenal conclusion to their first arc.
    5. Mane Attraction: Best AJ episode at the time.
    6. Re-Mark: Fantastic conclusion with one of the best reformations of the series.

Funny because in my mind I pretty much chose season 5 not because of how objectively good the episodes are but more because it gave me more material to think about potential fanfiction to write.

Especially with the final episode where I decided to come up with a premise that answers the question where did spikes egg came from and what were his parents like?

• Brohoof 1

My top three seasons are 4,5 and 7. I always find it hard to order them further, because for me they are really close. In another thread I picked 7 to be on spot #1.

• Brohoof 2

There are many things that the later seasons add that I appreciate, and I somewhat respect their higher ambition, but I still think season 2 is the best, and it's not even particularly close. It has the highest batting average of the lot for me; even the weaker episodes have some charm to them. But compared to season 1 it's also a little darker, a little more mature, a little more cohesive. The best episodes of the later seasons are different in ways I really like. My problem is the middling episodes, which are way less entertaining to me later in the show; something was lost along the way. Season 2 isn't perfect, but it's still probably the strongest this show ever was. 

• Brohoof 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 2021-07-17 at 10:43 PM, JMTV99 said:

Personally, I'll go with the first 5 seasons of the show. The best one for me it's Season 1. I don't care what anyone said, I'll defend it til the day I die. It's a season it knew where it wanted to be. I love it's laid back nature. I just love seeing cute ponies just being cute. It's happy, lighthearted, and all around fun. It had a great mix of Powerpuff Girls, Foster's Home, and Ed Edd n Eddy all in one show. I wish the show was still like this because it just make the show all the more fun.

I used to think Season 2 is overrated, but looking back on it, Season 2 is a close second favorite season because it started to grow on me a lot more than I do back then. It had a lot of charm and wit like Season 1 did. I find the jokes hilarious, the animation was bouncy and expressive and it works so well(unlike the later seasons). Sure, Mare Do Well, Putting your Hoof Down, and Dragon Quest exists, but the good always outweighs the bad.

Season 3 was a bit of a mixed bag. There are some good things about it, but others? Not so much. Is it as bad as Season 6-9? No. It's nowhere near that bad. Is it as good as the previous seasons? No. It's nowhere near that good. 

On the other hand, Season 4 is a massive improvement and I really like that season so much. 

I could say the same thing about Season 5. I adore this season just for the first half. So many God-teir episodes like A Lost Treasure of Griffinstone, Tanks for the Memories, Slice of Life, Amending Fences, and Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep. While the second half of the season had great episodes like Crusaders of the Lost Mark, The Main Attraction, Brotherhooves Social, Heartbreakers, Carousel Boutique and Made in Manehattan. Season 5 had some okay episodes, but when Cutie ReMark came along, the show went downhill from there. Other than that, I love Season 5.

So yeah, I prefer Season 1.

My opinions had changed a lot since then(and some stay the same), so I want to update my thoughts on the first 5 seasons:

I still love Season 1. No changes there.

Season 2 really did grew on me and I really love it as much as Season 1.

Season 3? Still a mixed bag, but I didn't like it that much compare to the first two seasons.

Season 4? I still think it's a good season and I like some of the episodes. However, compare to Season 2 in hindsight, it wasn't as good as I thought it was(now that I think about it).

Season 5, on the other hand, is a massive improvement than the other two, and it has more memorable episodes for the most part. Best season next to S1 and S2 by close second.

So yeah. Season 1 and 2 (the Faust era seasons) are the best.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I have a pretty big attachment to the first 3 seasons. But, if I were to remove that attachment, I'd probably say that Season 5 was the best. Well, in my opinion of course.

• Brohoof 2