Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How would you rank the G4 MLP Villains from least to most evil?

AveryGamerDude

I've been seeing a lot of videos on YouTube that ranks every villain from shows or franchise from evil to most evil, and I've been wondering that about G4 MLP. Where do you think all the series villains rank from the least to most evil? As for me, I'm not gonna make my entire list yet, but I'd say Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon are probably the least evil, because they don't really harm anyone, they're just bratty kids. As for most evil, I'm not entirely sure, but most people on the forums think King Sombra is the most evil, which they're probably right. What do you think? Where would you rank all the villains from least to most evil? (Also, I'm gonna make a follow up post asking where the G4 protagonists would rank from least to most good.)

• Brohoof 1

The villains are difficult to rank based on evil, since everyone has different views on their backstories and what would "justify" their evil. Not to mention that Cozy Glow is a child. :maud: Sombra is not the most evil villain to me at all. Even discounting his comic backstory, he never even tries to kill any pony unlike the "Terrible Trio". Even Nightmare Moon tried to kill the Mane 6 and Celestia. Past me would've said Chrysalis, even discounting her comic backstory, but even as I still don't buy the excuses that people make for her, her cracking up over having no army makes me suspect that she's just lonely. With what we know right now, I'm actually going to say Discord. The fact that he's reformed and still did something as awful as he did in the finale really says something about him. :mellow: 

• Brohoof 1

Out of the main villians, my ranking are probably:

1. Chrysalis
  2. Discord (pre-reformed)
  3. Tirek
  4. Starlight (pre-reformed)
  5. Sombra
  6. Storm King
  7. CozyGlow
  8. Nightmare Moon
  9. Tempest
  10. Pony of Shadows

This list could change upon further thinking, but for now that is how I'd rank them upon Evilness.

That being said, I doubt Chrysalis is going to leave the number one spot. The fact that she and her army went around sucking ponies love and emotion, basically killing them at times, shows how evil she was.

Spoiler

An instance of this happening is in the comic Fiends Forever #5. In that comic, she sucked all the love and emotion out of an entire population of sparkle-eyed pegasi living in the city of Timbucktu. Seeing all the ponies she basically killed and the city she completely devastated just highlights how evil she and her army were. Did any survive the attack? Did she kill of the entirety of the Sparkle-eyed pegasi? How did this affect Equestria? Granted, the MLP comics canon are very iffy, so this may have not actually happened. But still, it does show how Evil of a character Chrysalis really is.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

-Least-

Trixie, fueled by jealousy at Twilight, inadvertantly became corrupted with a dark artifact, but just ruled a whole town, with not too many outside it aware of what happened.

Starlight before reformation: Kept to her own corner of Equestria until engaged with, but definitely controlling of her little world to the point of imposing fear. After her first defeat, became much more of a threat when getting back at Twilight. (time travel magic!) Motivation based on fear of losing potential friends, and not any active villanous desires.

Tempest: Conqured the entire capital city under her new king, driven by her desire to become whole again, amplified by her broken and jaded views of the world based on her experiences, never used to be antagonistic. 

Pony of Shadows: Became a villain through despair and spite, desired to shroud the world in darkness, but it the dude the darkness possessed wasn't setting out to be a villain.

Discord before reformation: Like a mad puppetmaster playing with others like toys. Destructive and problematic, but there's more villainous characters. 

Nightmare Moon: Driven by jealousy, but only wanted the world to be hers alone and is seen as the ruler in the alternate scenario.

Cozy Glow: Freaking demon child!

Tirek: Super destructive.

Chrysalis: Lots of sinister actions, but is nonetheless the leader of her similar creatures. After getting dethroned and having a bone to pick, she is even worse.

Sombra: The freaking dark lord of Equestria, wanted world domination, pure darkness.

-Most-

Grogar would be on the list too, and potentially quite high up, but we never saw him in action.

Edited by Toastypk
  • Brohoof 2

10 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

The villains are difficult to rank based on evil, since everyone has different views on their backstories and what would "justify" their evil. Not to mention that Cozy Glow is a child. :maud: Sombra is not the most evil villain to me at all. Even discounting his comic backstory, he never even tries to kill any pony unlike the "Terrible Trio". Even Nightmare Moon tried to kill the Mane 6 and Celestia. Past me would've said Chrysalis, even discounting her comic backstory, but even as I still don't buy the excuses that people make for her, her cracking up over having no army makes me suspect that she's just lonely. With what we know right now, I'm actually going to say Discord. The fact that he's reformed and still did something as awful as he did in the finale really says something about him. :mellow: 

Fair point. The videos I've seen on YouTube rank them by how much harm they've caused, so which villain caused the most harm? I'll have to rewatch the show again to find out, ha ha!

8 hours ago, Toastypk said:

-Least-

Trixie, fueled by jealousy at Twilight, inadvertantly became corrupted with a dark artifact, but just ruled a whole town, with not too many outside it aware of what happened.

Starlight before reformation: Kept to her own corner of Equestria until engaged with, but definitely controlling of her little world to the point of imposing fear. After her first defeat, became much more of a threat when getting back at Twilight. (time travel magic!) Motivation based on fear of losing potential friends, and not any active villanous desires.

Tempest: Conqured the entire capital city under her new king, driven by her desire to become whole again, amplified by her broken and jaded views of the world based on her experiences, never used to be antagonistic. 

Pony of Shadows: Became a villain through despair and spite, desired to shroud the world in darkness, but it the dude the darkness possessed wasn't setting out to be a villain.

Discord before reformation: Like a mad puppetmaster playing with others like toys. Destructive and problematic, but there's more villainous characters. 

Nightmare Moon: Driven by jealousy, but only wanted the world to be hers alone and is seen as the ruler in the alternate scenario.

Cozy Glow: Freaking demon child!

Tirek: Super destructive.

Chrysalis: Lots of sinister actions, but is nonetheless the leader of her similar creatures. After getting dethroned and having a bone to pick, she is even worse.

Sombra: The freaking dark lord of Equestria, wanted world domination, pure darkness.

-Most-

Grogar would be on the list too, and potentially quite high up, but we never saw him in action.

Thank you for your in depth examination. :)

There is no definitive answer really, this is really subjective and it also depends on what you count as the parameter. Is this their goals? What they actually caused, maybe what they would do to justify the end goals were? Is enslaving many people and taking their free will is worse than killing one? Also, some of theirs motives and goals are not exactly clear...

If we are taking all of them into consideration, here is my ranking for the main big villains:

10. Starlight- while what she did as an antagonist is definitely evil, she thought (or maybe convinced herself) that she was doing the right thing, and during her revenge phase she did not want to destroy equestria, she just wanted to destroy twilights and her friends lives, and yeah this is evil but its not as bad as the other villains.

9. POS- not sure how to rank him, as there is the shadow that possessed stygion and stygion himself, as for stygion it was more out of spite and despair. His goals are not exactly clear, what did he mean by darkness? As for what he did, he didn't do much as far as we know.  

8. Tempest- since she was young she was stuck with a bad mentality, but she was ready to enslave many races in order to get her horn back, its very selfish regardless of what happened to her. She did plenty damage as it is, but deep down she wanted friendship and acceptance, no one gave it to her until twilight.

7. Nightmare moon- born from jealously for her older sibling, she was set on taking celestia out (by banishing or killing her) and taking equestria for herself. But as we seen in S5 finale, ponies are not completely enslaved have some degree of free will. Its not a good world but its ponies can still live. We don't know for sure how lack of sun effects the population as a whole, but in a world run by magic its possible that many found a way to keep the crops alive and what not. She did not want to destroy equestria and its citizens, but she is selfish and doesn't particularly care for their well being. Its important to note that she did barely anything in the original time line.

6. Discord- its appears like he went crazy with power, he did not have friends and wanted to do what ever he wanted, which contradicted what the populace wanted so he just forced it on them. He was selfish, wicked and manipulative, while he had fun, the ponies suffered, he totally dismissed everyone else feeling and well bring for his amusement but when someone really stuck with him and got to know him, discord showed that he is lonely and wants company. Thats probably also why he never actually killed anyone as far as we know.  He did manage to rule equestria for a while, unlike many other villains.

The next 5 are much closer to each other, its pretty much splitting hairs from now on, you can make for case to all of them for being the most evil.

5. Tirek- Tried to take all the magic to himself, wanted to rule equestria with the only one with magic. He did plenty damage in all of his appearances including destroying twi's tree, and pretty much taking over twice (season 4 and 9). He is greedy, manipulative and the need arises and doesn't afraid to use all the force he needs. He does seem to hold onto some of his promises, like freeing twis friends and not killing anyone when he could, although he definitely tried to in season 9. He is

4. Cozy glow- She is a psychopath, either she is a child or not she is clearly not all there in the head. She is violent, doesn't have compassion for anyone, obssessed with being the most important and strongest figure, she tried to take control over the villains team quite blatantly.  She will stab anyone in the back given the chance, she is manipulative and she loves using others for her gain and hurt them, she is clearly evil. She nearly got rid of magic and was eager to hurt the main characters later on, even more than the other 2 co-conspirators. 

3. Storm king- Took over many nations, according to the comics he left them in ruins, enslaved canterlot, (through tempest) used his army for his own selfish reasons and did not care about them in the least. I am not sure how to rate him, since we don't know his personality as much as the other main villains, but its clear he is on their level more or less. He has no morals, and got what was coming for him in the end. 

2. Chrysalis- She was ready to pull her species through hunger and starvation if it put her in charge if it gave her an opportunity to keep leading through intimidation and hurting others. She at some point went a bot crazy, the exile was clearly getting to her, but her pride and hatred to her enemies is what really left her stoned in the end. She was set on revenge and destruction, as well as getting minions that nothing could change her mind, even in her final defeat she went out screaming and scowling and set on revenge, even tirek and cozy glow realized by than that its over, they lost.  

1. Sombra- He took over the crystal empire (maybe by killing the previous rulers), enslaved all the ponies, mind controlled some, even the young ones. He left them without any will the residents were mentally hurt. He revels in someone elses misery, destroyed the tree of harmony, which is probably one of the most important and devastating things a villain did. He preferred to rule alone instead in working with others, he is arrogant, powerful. Its possible he tried to kill the main 6 in season 9 after he 'defeated' discord, he fought till the very end, not to mention the elements essence and the crystal heart both destroyed him, they did not strip him from his powers, turn him to stone, they oblittirated him. 

As for the minor villains\antagonists, I don't know, spoiled is pretty vile as a slice of life character, wind rider, lightning dust was not bothered in the least that she nearly really hurt, if not killed some characters. The FF brothers are very unpleasant people too, sludge was awful, neighsay was not far from becoming the main villian in season 8, he almost started a war because of his bias against other creatures.