Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Weather without magic?

Skylight Scintillate

(edited)

There's a question I have been pondering recently. We know that Gen 5 takes place in Equestria, but all magic is gone. In Gen 4, magic is seen being used to control certain things, such as the weather and the sun and moon. I think it is safe to assume that the sun and moon still rise and set and the weather still moves in and out by itself in Gen 5. For the sun and moon, my best guess is that it is a ceremonial thing done by royalty. On the other hand, why would they need the pegasi to micromanage the weather in Gen 4 then? Like in Hurricane Fluttershy, they needed to create a twister to suck up the water to Cloudsdale, but in Gen 5, it is safe to assume the water evaporates without ponies interfering. How would you explain this discrepancy?

Edited by Ocean Wavedream
  • Brohoof 2

• The title was changed to Weather without magic?

It is definitely something I ponder as well. I always thought it was such a cool concept that pegasi were the ones who controlled the weather, and it really helped set Equestria apart from the real world. Plus, by  having pegasi be the only ones who could do this made them essential to Equestria, and really helped show that all three pony types were needed for Equestria to function. So now that Equestria is seemingly functioning without magic or friendship between the three types, things start to get confusing.

Weather making technology is a possibility, but unfortunately that really takes away the unique charm that Equestria had in G4. Making technology the means to Equestria's functionality rather than magic makes Equestria feel less unique and interesting as a place. But then this raises a Question: If and when magic is returned to Equestria, will pegasi go back to controlling the weather? I really want them to, considering how interesting of an aspect that was in G4, but it is hard to tell at this point.

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, Landi said:

Weather making technology is a possibility, but unfortunately that really takes away the unique charm that Equestria had in G4. Making technology the means to Equestria's functionality rather than magic makes Equestria feel less unique and interesting as a place. But then this raises a Question: If and when magic is returned to Equestria, will pegasi go back to controlling the weather? I really want them to, considering how interesting of an aspect that was in G4, but it is hard to tell at this point.

Exactly my thoughts. 

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe magic held the clouds in place and stopped the water from evaporating on its own
Think about it, doesn't it seem pretty magical that clouds just stay in place and need to be manipulated by the pegasi?

The wild weather in the everfree is controlled by wild everfree magic, but without magic you'd just get normal weather that changes on its own
Now that it's free to change on its own, nopony needs to change it

and nopony can without magic

how do the pegasi even fly anymore?

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-08-07 at 9:09 AM, Sparkly sparks said:

how do the pegasi even fly anymore?

I actually don't think they can fly anymore. Like there was that whole thing about the royal pegasi pretending to fly in the mlp annual.

Edited by Stardust
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

The reason for control over the weather, sun, and moon in G4 is pretty straight forward. Controlling the dispersal of solar radiation and precipitation makes the management of life far easier. Floods, droughts, storms, heatwaves, flash freezes, all cause significant damage to crops and infrastructure, but Equestria for the most part manages to do away with this. No one goes hungry, trade isn't interrupted, it's all smooth sailing in Equestria. And all are happy for it!

I like to think other flying species can control the weather as well, but infighting/lack of Friendship has resulted in it not being nearly as organized. It's a fight against nature rather than maintaining a way of life.

Obviously they can manage without just as we have in the real world, but things would be so much easier if we could.

Alright, let's rustle some jimmies.

Magic is an intrinsic, inalienable building block of everything. A thing devoid of magic is no longer itself.

Ponies cannot use magic cause they naturally cannot use it. They haven't turned grey since their magic levels remained the same; however, such creatures can only utilize magic through an external distribution system that is switched on/summoned by a specific ritual.

• 1 month later...

The movie doesn't explain why the weather works without magic. But it does show technology. And with technology, magic is not needed. You can still move the sun, moon, and change weather, with gadgets and smart phones.

Again, the movie is kinda lazy at covering these plot holes :awwthanks:

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...
On 2021-10-18 at 12:15 AM, Splashee said:

The movie doesn't explain why the weather works without magic. But it does show technology. And with technology, magic is not needed. You can still move the sun, moon, and change weather, with gadgets and smart phones.

And you just need a civilization type II on Kardashev scale to do it :mlp_smug: