Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why was Cozy Glow evil?

TheUnknownPhantom5

Perhaps she was misunderstood. 

You see, her cutie mark is a rook, a chess piece that can move along a the horizontal and vertical access. To rook someone means to manipulate them. Perhaps she misunderstood her cutie mark and used it to try and rule over ponies. Maybe her parents weren't there for her. If Cozy's story continued, the one pony that I think would help her in her redemption story is Diamond Tiara. Another brony analyst said this. 

Cozy Glow is one of those very complex characters that takes some time to really know why they are evil. But to answer your question: Because she did not know the true meaning of her cutie mark and fell into a dangerous trap that blinded her from her real destiny. I believe that her true talent would be to help people make the right decision, providing them valuable inside, like a counselor. 

• Brohoof 3

Nicole Dubuc created Cozy Glow as similar to Baby Doll from Batman TAS, who is an adult stays cute throughout her life.

Cozy Glow could've been an interesting character, but man the writers dropped the ball on that.

• Brohoof 2

Well, considering Hasbro's fundi-I mean, considering that being born evil was done in the franchise with Chrysalis' backstory in the comics, I wouldn't put Cozy just having been born evil past them, sadly. :maud: When Jim Miller said, "Who says she has parents?", I hope what he meant to imply was that she was evil because she was an abandoned, unloved orphan.

I wish there was more of a reason for the way Cozy Glow acted. I think it could have been really interesting. They gave Starlight a reason, albeit a bit of a pathetic one, for why she turned even and started stealing cutie marks and talents. They could have done the same for Cozy, even though she's a filly. Or presumably a filly. We just assume she's a filly given her size and demeanor. There are people who stay small and look very child-like for their entire lives. Who says Cozy isn't a case like Scrappy Doo from that one live-action Scooby-Doo movie? He wasn't a puppy for real; he had some sort of glandular problem according to that movie.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, MidnightFire1222 said:

I wish there was more of a reason for the way Cozy Glow acted. I think it could have been really interesting. They gave Starlight a reason, albeit a bit of a pathetic one, for why she turned even and started stealing cutie marks and talents. They could have done the same for Cozy, even though she's a filly. Or presumably a filly. We just assume she's a filly given her size and demeanor. There are people who stay small and look very child-like for their entire lives. Who says Cozy isn't a case like Scrappy Doo from that one live-action Scooby-Doo movie? He wasn't a puppy for real; he had some sort of glandular problem according to that movie.

Starlight has a good backstory....it was executed poorly... For the kids I guess.... Cozy was nice.

• Brohoof 2

11 hours ago, TheUnknownPhantom5 said:

Did it bother anyone else that Cozy Glow didn't get a backstory. If you could, what would your backstory for Cozy Glow Be?

Actually I though about it too when I was watching season 8 for the first time back in January. This could have been an interesting one. After seeing the end of show I assumed Cozy didn't get a back story because she was only considered one final final villain which could not be reformed anyway and so the creators didn't bother to write one. This is also sad because I always thought she was a very complex character. Not a nice one, of course, but interesting. Maybe there is something in the comics? (I really don't know)

Sadly I had not the time to come up with a back story for her.

6 hours ago, Kujamih said:

Starlight has a good backstory....it was executed poorly... For the kids I guess.... Cozy was nice.

We can agree on this one, but it was executed very poorly.

She got hit by Truck-kun and isekai'd into a world she doesn't care about by Harmony who wanted to prove that anything can be redeemed as long as it is turned into a pony.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Astral Soul said:

Actually I though about it too when I was watching season 8 for the first time back in January. This could have been an interesting one. After seeing the end of show I assumed Cozy didn't get a back story because she was only considered one final final villain which could not be reformed anyway and so the creators didn't bother to write one. This is also sad because I always thought she was a very complex character. Not a nice one, of course, but interesting. Maybe there is something in the comics? (I really don't know)

Sadly I had not the time to come up with a back story for her.

We can agree on this one, but it was executed very poorly.

One back story is  she's pen pal with tirek.....

5 minutes ago, Kujamih said:

One back story is  she's pen pal with tirek.....

True that is in the show quiet dominantly. I understood the OP in that regard of what happened before that. 'What made Cozy to start a pen palship with Lord Tirek in the first place'. This part is really missing there.

Not having the right influence. I don't think the issue is her misinterpreting her cutie mark as some have said, what if manipulating others to do what she wants to do literally is her talent? An example of a "bad" cutie mark, if you could call it that? Also the issue is poor writing, no backstory.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Starforce said:

Not having the right influence. I don't think the issue is her misinterpreting her cutie mark as some have said, what if manipulating others to do what she wants to do literally is her talent? An example of a "bad" cutie mark, if you could call it that? Also the issue is poor writing, no backstory.

Haha that's why he has the rook as the cutie mark. The rook is very influential and has a big deep meaning.

Moments ago, Kujamih said:

Haha that's why he has the rook as the cutie mark. The rook is very influential and has a big deep meaning.

Also by the way, let's get past the "Good" and "Evil" generalizations. Saying somethings evil has no meaning. Learn what it is, question why it is, find out why it is that way instead of just assigning a word to it and ignoring the underlaying details. 

• Brohoof 1

23 minutes ago, Starforce said:

Also by the way, let's get past the "Good" and "Evil" generalizations. Saying somethings evil has no meaning. Learn what it is, question why it is, find out why it is that way instead of just assigning a word to it and ignoring the underlaying details. 

.....no matter how you put it... cozy is still evil though  :mlp_laugh:.

It was really unfortunate that she didn't have even a morsel of a backstory. No mention of where she's from, who her family is, and how she even got to that point. Along with that, they turned a her, a character who had potential, into a one-dimensional character who was just evil for the sake of it. Plus, they reformed villains like discord and Starlight, yet they didn't even bother with Cozy. Instead they through a little filly into Tartarus!

As for my guesses as to why she was evil, I'd say it probably stemmed from things such as: being bullied, being neglected, and not understanding her cutie mark and purpose. It's a shame that we didn't get to know her past due to her being so poorly written.