Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ranting About The Grogar twist.

TheUnknownPhantom5

Grogar being DIscord was the worst thing the writers ever did. They littlerly Iron Man 3d us. Why did they think that was a good idea?! Let's look at some examples of when we were promised something.

In the MCU we were promised Thanos. We got Thanos and he deilvered.

In Avatar the Last Airbender we were promised Aang vs Ozai. We got Aang vs Ozai and it was arguably the best fight in the entire series.

In MLP we were promised Grogar. We did not get Grogar. This is just like what's happening with the New He Man series on Netflix where a writer lies to their fans about what's going to happen in the show, and they what they promise doesn't actually happen. And I feel like if we tell Jim Miller about how we feel he'll proably just say we're haters when were not. We are fans who have a genuiene right to be upset, because we were promised something that we didn't get.

This is like making a Godzilla movie, calling it Godzilla, and then killing Godzilla in the first five minutes!

• Brohoof 5

Nah, I actually love Grogar was a fake. Don’t get me wrong, he as the final villain would have been fantastic.  but between him being the main antagonist, and three prior villains sharing the role, I’d pick the latter 

• Brohoof 4

1 minute ago, Steve Piranha said:

Nah, I actually love Grogar was a fake. Don’t get me wrong, he as the final villain would have been fantastic.  but between him being the main antagonist, and three prior villains sharing the role, I’d pick the latter 

There's nothing wrong with Tirek Chrysalis, and Cozy Glow being the final villians. But with how Grogar was built up it was still very infurriating.

• Brohoof 4

It was a genuinely idiotic twist just for both how invalidated the entire season and how terribly they tried justifying it

1 hour ago, TheUnknownPhantom5 said:

They littlerly Iron Man 3d us.

That’s an insult to Iron Man 3 both because they at least acknowledged that the twist was dumb, and that they eventually acknowledged the existence of the real Mandarin in universe 

• Brohoof 1

40 minutes ago, TheUnknownPhantom5 said:

There's nothing wrong with Tirek Chrysalis, and Cozy Glow being the final villians. But with how Grogar was built up it was still very infurriating.

So was Chrysalis since the end of S6. Afterwards, we only got her incompetent performance with the Mean Six, and she was practically doomed to leave her revenge unfulfilled until “Grogar” recruited her

• Brohoof 1

I think it was Jim Milller, but someone said they wanted the final confrontation to be between villains the main characters already had a history with, and I didn't have a big problem with that.

Though I definitely would have loved to see Grogar in action too.

• Brohoof 3

Yeah, that whole Grogar twist was poorly written. Not only did we not actually get to see the real Grogar in action, but discord's character was brutally hurt. All those seasons of learning about friendship and life in general, and he does this? It doesn't matter if he somehow had good intentions, it was an extremely stupid idea! Along with all that, it really made discord out as a safety net for the mane six (until his awful plan backfired, that is). The whole thing was just a lousy attempt to subvert our expectations. While there are writing decisions I think are worse than this (the School of Friendship being one), this is definitely still a pretty bad one.

• Brohoof 6

2 hours ago, TheUnknownPhantom5 said:

Grogar being DIscord was the worst thing the writers ever did.

For the ending of Season 9, yes.... Maybe.

But Grogar was still part of some episodes before that, when we didn't know he was just Discord. We got "Frenemies" because of Grogar, and that was the best episode for me of the entire series, so I won't complain.

What would Grogar have done, if he was really Grogar? Would it have made a better season finale? With the current writers of the show (at that time), I don't believe so.

So not the worst thing. I think the Pillars and Princess Twilight Sparkle wings were worse.

2 hours ago, Landi said:

Yeah, that whole Grogar twist was poorly written. Not only did we not actually get to see the real Grogar in action, but discord's character was brutally hurt. All those seasons of learning about friendship and life in general, and he does this? It doesn't matter if he somehow had good intentions, it was an extremely stupid idea! Along with all that, it really made discord out as a safety net for the mane six (until his awful plan backfired, that is). The whole thing was just a lousy attempt to subvert our expectations. While there are writing decisions I think are worse than this (the School of Friendship being one), this is definitely still a pretty bad one.

It would have been pretty fantastic developing the real Grogar’s reign and his defeat at the hands of Gusty in greater detail instead of one or two of the mostly pointless episodes the final season was plagued with tho :yuck:

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, one of the few times the series truly messed up. All that build-up and potential development and all we got was an excuse to somehow hate Discord even more than we already did. The twist was not in any way shocking like it was supposed to be, it just ended up being infuriating. :dry:
Along with the Student Six, this was the worst thing that ever happened to the show. :lostit:

• Brohoof 2

Don't remind me. Talk shit about Twilicorn all you want, but at least it didn't piss me off compared to the Grogar twist.

Not that I'm fan of Grogar or anything, but I would love to have Grogar to be the final villian in the series. Explore the origins on where he came from, his vendetta against friendship and harmony, his relationship between Tirek, Scorpan, and Grogar, and all that kind of stuff. It would've been so fascinating and I would love to see it come to life.

But NOPE! Instead, Discord planned out the entire time all because he set another test for Twilight?! 

WHAT?!

That makes absolutely NO sense! Not only Discord put Equestria in danger by shattering friendship across the nation(and open up Pandora's Box with The Windigos BTW), but make me hate Discord even more as a character. Discord was a supposed to be a villian who is the embodiment of chaos, but he once he got reformed, his reputation started to go downhill from there. Why Meghan McCarthy though it was a good idea is really beyond me.

But to be fair, I can see the twist working if Discord was the villian the entire time, but even that was a bit iffy since it left a lot more questions than answers. What was Discord's intentions of doing this in the first place? Why did he disguising as Grogar? We'll never know because the show never told us anything. Even though the second part of the series finale was written by Mike Vogel, but I heard Big Jim Miller planned that from the beginning. On top of that, for what I've heard from the leaks, there was an original outline for the twist with The Elements of Disharmony. It would arguably make sense for it to happen, but Hasbro reject it due to concerns of killing off the princesses and Discord (if that's implied). Instead of starting off from scratch, they just half assed all the way through, making this whole experience like it was for nothing.

This, along with the Student Shits, and the Friendship School, I really don't understand why they thought it was good idea in the first place. If this twist trying to subvert our expectations, then it failed miserably. It just sour the entire final season for me. It was massive kick in the balls to Lauren Faust's original intention for the show. If Lauren were to see this, she would NEVER approve this.

P.S: Discord should never reformed and have him stay stone for all I care.

• Brohoof 5

If you look deep into season 8 and 9... I understand why the mane six went to that path and them repeating their mistakes? Acceptable and reasonable....

It's okay to complain about season 8 and 9... I bet you guys also complain about life too right?:toldya::mlp_laugh:

• Brohoof 1

14 minutes ago, JMTV99 said:

This, along with the Student Shits...

Student sh*ts! :ButtercupLaugh::laugh: Perfect way to describe those little buggers! I'm definitely gonna use that. ;)

14 minutes ago, JMTV99 said:

P.S: Discord should never reformed and have him stay stone for all I care.

I wish he did. It would have made things sooo much easier. :dry: Hasn't Twilight had enough bloody 'tests'? :wacko:

Edited by TomDaBombMLP

3 hours ago, Landi said:

I agree with this. I didn't care about it not being the real Grogar and the Legion of Doom worked fine as the final threat. The problem was that they sacrificed Discord's character for the sake of a pointless twist. They could've had Chrysalis break out Tirek and Cozy Glow somehow or done literally anything else. The revelation that it was Discord orchestrating this whole mess ruined the finale for me. 

Edited by RulesofRarity
  • Brohoof 6

Surprised that this is still a hot topic even now. Gotta be fair though, even though I'm long over it, I still don't enjoy the twist. Really sullied my opinion on Discord, which irritated me more than there being no Grogar. At least Grogar is still real in their universe and the twist could've worked if they didn't have to rush it. Making Discord such a sociopath, setting others up and putting everyone in danger and only getting a "Bad dog!" style scolding for it...whatever they intended, it just LOOKS SO BAD

• Brohoof 2

13 minutes ago, TheUnknownPhantom5 said:

Hey I actually like the young six.

Don't mind them:blush: 

It's weird that the topic is about grogar and the student 6 became a topic... 

Student 6:.... Wtf! what did I do this time!?

Edited by Kujamih
  • Brohoof 1

You know what's intriguing? Discord was and still is one of my favorite characters because he reminds me of Aladdin's Genie (Robin Williams or Dan Castellenata, your pick), but that the writers would put him in a position to pretend to be Grogar, that's upsetting. 

If they were truly aiming for an Avengers-style ending, they would've made Grogar the real villain besides the Mean 3, adding him to the mix of characters from seasons past. Too ambitious? Maybe, but it would've worked. 

• Brohoof 2

There were a lot of bronies who wanted Grogar to make a comeback---he was a very dark and effective G-1 villain, openly discussing enslaving human characters simply because they had hands! 

He wasn't the G-1 villain I'd wanted to see make a comeback; I was hoping for Hydia, Reeka, and Draggle to become villains who last at least a season, and whose machinations would drive either the A-plot or the B-plot of a majority of the season's episodes---most villains only appeared in an episode or two, and their appearances in between were few and generally not plot-centric.  I'd hoped for those three witches because they had a good Vile Villain/Laughable Lackeys dynamic to them that would've worked really well with G-4.  (I have to admit, I might just be raving about Grogar's Vile Villain/Laughable Lackey dynamic with Bray if I remembered more about Grogar, TBH).

If they'd played up Hydia, Reeka, and Draggle's presence as if it were going to be huge, and then pulled the rug out from under that...I know I'd be upset!

• Brohoof 1