Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Am I the only one who has a problem with Celestia and Luna’s retirement?

TheUnknownPhantom5

I mean think about it. I know Celestia has been ruling for thousands of years, but Luna spent most of those thousand years stuck on the moon, and then she only ruled alongside Celestia again for around four or five years.

Then whenever a big threat comes to Equestria like Discord, Chrysalis, or Tirek. Twilight and her friends have to deal with it, while Celestia, and Luna just sit on their thrones. 

Because of that, don’t you think the mane six are the ones who deserve to retire, and get some rest?

• Brohoof 2

Nope..... That's what my boss does too... It's called supervising the next gen.

Prettyuch sure that's what twilight would do... And pretty much what I would do to my next in line. ( I'm actually doing it right now.)

Edited by Kujamih
  • Brohoof 1

Personally my only problem with their retirement was their apparent relinquishing of their Sun and Moon duties. That’s their CUTIE MARKS.

Pretty sure you don’t retire from your life’s passion. They don’t have to be rulers anymore, but they can still do their sun and moon thing. It took them like two seconds to do everyday.

I’m just gonna pretend they got THAT back from Twilight later after a break.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, ShadOBabe said:

Personally my only problem with their retirement was their apparent relinquishing of their Sun and Moon duties. That’s their CUTIE MARKS.

Pretty sure you don’t retire from your life’s passion. They don’t have to be rulers anymore, but they can still do their sun and moon thing. It took them like two seconds to do everyday.

Sorry...pffttt... I shouldn't laugh at it but..... Their life passion is raising the sun and moon?.... Pffftt ... This made me giggle.:mlp_laugh:

...are they a cult or something:okiedokieloki:

Sign me up!:mlp_laugh:

1 minute ago, Kujamih said:

Sorry...pffttt... I shouldn't laugh at it but..... Their life passion is raising the sun and moon?.... Pffftt ... This made me giggle.:mlp_laugh:

...are they a cult or something:okiedokieloki:

Sign me up!:mlp_laugh:

Creating beautiful day and night skies is an art.

Here’s an example from my own art:

Spoiler

7AF46C31-C78F-4DCC-A720-F1AEC0AC88EB.thumb.png.3bc14b75056aa8e3af6a0143ab065e34.png

1 hour ago, ShadOBabe said:

Regardless of how much they might enjoy their talents, they would retire from them if they weren’t able to do them anymore, though. 

It’s not necessarily true that they’re immortal, and though they appear to be ageless, we don’t know exactly what that entails. :ooh:

• Brohoof 1

I can see why you'd say Luna should stick around for longer, and I agree in principle...  But then again, what's the point of retiring one princess if the other sticks around?  They won't get to spend time with their family that way.

Personally, my problem with Celestia's and Luna's retirement is the fact that the thing that made Twilight so effective at protecting Equestria was the fact that she had such a close bond with her friends.  That bond was strengthened by the time they spent together.  Saddling Twilight with the responsibility of ruling all of Equestria would obliterate their ability to spend time together, and thus make Twilight less effective.

At least, that's what most of G-4 led me to expect; if the decades-later finale was any indication, Twilight was still effective in spite of that lack of time...somehow.

• Brohoof 1

I found it weird that they wanted to retire, but it didn't bother me too much. I think it makes sense, because Celestia and Luna have been reigning for a very long time, especially Celestia who has clocked in over 1,000 years of work in the sun-raising department as well as Equestrian monarch duties. I'm not sure how long ponies live and how long it is before they need to retire, but 1,000 years seems like a pretty long time to me. Remember, it took several unicorns and Starswirl to raise and lower the sun and moon, and they lost their magic as a result (excluding Starswirl). The means it takes a ton of energy and magic to raise the sun and moon, so Celestia and Luna must have been tired from going it and needed to take a long break. As for political duties, well, that is very stressful and 1,000 years of it is probably enough for one to consider retiring from it.

• Brohoof 1

I have mixed feelings on the concept. On one hand, them retiring was bound to happen at some point, and the show seemed to hint towards that, but on the other hand, the Sisters did such an amazing job at ruling Equestria, and it's a bit sad they ended up stepping down (though at least they can have a nice retirement as long as Twilight doesn't screw things up). I do feel the execution was pretty poor though. With only a few months or so in notice, the sisters announce their retirement, and expect a pony with no experience with or knowledge about ruling a country to take their place. I wouldn't be surprised if that caused a fair amount of issues to arise in Twilight's first few years/decades as ruler.

29 minutes ago, Ocean Wavedream said:

Well I think that Luna actually has quite an important job looking over the ponies dreams while they sleep. It seems kind of strange that she would just retire without a replacement...

Yeah, it sure does. Considering that 1000 years of her life were wasted on the moon, I would hope that she at least got to continue on with her dream-walking job, even after retiring as co-ruler.

• Brohoof 1

21 minutes ago, Landi said:

I have mixed feelings on the concept. On one hand, them retiring was bound to happen at some point, and the show seemed to hint towards that, but on the other hand, the Sisters did such an amazing job at ruling Equestria, and it's a bit sad they ended up stepping down (though at least they can have a nice retirement as long as Twilight doesn't screw things up). I do feel the execution was pretty poor though. With only a few months or so in notice, the sisters announce their retirement, and expect a pony with no experience with or knowledge about ruling a country to take their place. I wouldn't be surprised if that caused a fair amount of issues to arise in Twilight's first few years/decades as ruler.

Yeah, it sure does. Considering that 1000 years of her life were wasted on the moon, I would hope that she at least got to continue on with her dream-walking job, even after retiring as co-ruler.

Rainbowdash took that job....

9 hours ago, TheUnknownPhantom5 said:

Because of that, don’t you think the mane six are the ones who deserve to retire, and get some rest?

I think we all can agree on that Josh Haber can retire now :orly:

No, I have a problem with it too. It was obviously always going to happen at some stage but I especially didn't like the fact that they forced it all onto poor Twilight who very clearly didn't want to do it. :worry:

But the thing that truly broke my heart was the fact that it forced Twilight to abandon her friends and I know that's something of a controversial word to use. It was implied that they occasionally see each other, fair enough but why would you possibly force Twilight to leave her friends who she has conquered almost every challenge with for the last nine years?! :angry: It's like they want her to be depressed! 

People who argue with me about that always use the phrase, 'Friendship is eternal, even when you're not together.' I understand that but I think you're forgetting that that completely goes against the fact that as far up as the episode right before the last one, Twilight and the others were saying 'As long as you're all by my side, nothing can go wrong!' Brilliant, so let's split them up then! :Cozy:

A very rare truly terrible mistake the show made in my opinion and the fact that it can't be reversed because it was the finale makes it much harder. :(

• Brohoof 1

To me,  it left way to many open plot points myself for them just to step down.  Yes the Sun and Moon are their cutie marks and does that mean Twilight never sleeps?  How does she balance their duties to hers?  What do they do now?  We never had anything explained to what they do now after stepping down? I can see Tia going on to maybe being a teacher of somekind with her school?  Luna,  maybe explore the world or even act as a diplomate as some kind?  Fixing up the old castle?  We just never got ANYTHING even now what what happened to the sisters...

Like pretty much everything in seasons 8 & 9, Celestia and Luna's retirement was an incredibly stupid idea that wasn't thought out well at all. They both have extremely important jobs that only they are able to do, yet they just relinquished it all out of nowhere and saddled Twilight with everything. It just felt so out of character for the wise and thoughtful princesses that we came to know over the course of the series. It's one of many reasons why I don't consider anything post-S7 to be canon.

• Brohoof 4

Yeah, the timing of it all was very weird just because the show was ending.

Retirement, they're still really young. Celestia and Luna ruling with the mane six as the first line of defense(or actually the LAST line when the usual guards and whatever fail) is better.

• Brohoof 1

22 hours ago, Landi said:

expect a pony with no experience with or knowledge about ruling a country to take their place. I wouldn't be surprised if that caused a fair amount of issues to arise in Twilight's first few years/decades as ruler.

Twilight had plenty of royal duties in her castle in Ponyville, so I think it's an exaggeration that she had no experience.  Not a huge one, though:  she was freaking out on getting more responsibilities.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

I guess it was fine for Celestia. I mean, ruling for a thousand years? She must be exhausted now! It was very stupid for Luna to retire, as she was in the moon for a thousand years and she didn't get much of a chance to do her part as a princess.

• Brohoof 1