Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight won’t outlive her friends- explained?

ManaMinori

I have seen a lot of debate through the years of fans trying to interpret Megan McCarthy’s answered question as to whether Twilight Sparkle will outlive her friends. The definite answer was “no she will not outlive her friends.” I have seen people arguing that tweets from the writers were not to be taken as cannon; I have seen arguments and debate over this meaning that Twilight’s friends will become alicorns and “immortal”. I have seen debate that this means that Twilight and friends will live forever, metaphorically, through the everlasting spirit and power of the elements and their traits that she and her friends embody. 

But while rewatching old episodes- namely, The Cutie Map, I was struck by a certain line that Twilight spoke to Starlight Glimmer….

Twilight Sparkle: “I studied magic for years too! But what I didn't know then was that studying could only take me so far. Each of my friends has taught me something different about myself! It was their unique gifts and passions and personalities that helped bring out the magic inside of me! I never would have learned that I represent the element of magic without these five! And I certainly wouldn't be here to stop you now!”

Interestingly enough, just a few lines later, she says this: 

“But the map didn't send me. It sent us. You're a part of me, all of you. And there's no doubt you're a part of my mission to spread friendship too.”

To which Pinkie Pie promptly replies:

“This feels like an ending! It doesn't have to be an ending yet, right? 'Cause that Sugar Belle can bake!”

So I’m thinking, what if this bit of dialogue was foreshadowing what eventually would happen to Twilight and her friends? The “you’re a part of me” bit would seem to eventually imply Twilight choosing to assimilate with her friends and their magic, when the time came for them to depart and pass on, forever being together with them in body, mind, and spirit. I don’t think that this is so far-fetched, as we saw Luna having herself assimilated with the sentient Tantabus. We have also see other’s magic being passed on and housed into others, such as when the royal sisters and Cadance transferred their energies into Twilight. 

So maybe this explanation is what Megan McCarthy really meant by Twilight not outliving her friends 

• Brohoof 1

14 minutes ago, Starforce said:

She would because she is an immortal alicorn.

In what canon (book, comic, episode, TCG) did it ever say that alicorns were immortal? Do you have reference?

Ugh, yeah, it was a huge debate during the whole Twilicorn fiasco. While, The Last Problem adds more fuel to the fire. I tried not dwell on it too much, but honestly, I believe Twilicorn only existed so Hasbro can shill more plastic to 5 year olds.

I remember Meghan McCarthy said "every little girl wants to be a princess" after Twilight became a alicorn. Even though Lauren's original intention for the show that there are more different ways to be a girl than just being a princess. How funny.

I still don't mind Alicorn Twilight, but I'm still sticking to Unicorn Twilight a lot more.

• Brohoof 2

8 minutes ago, ManaMinori said:

In what canon (book, comic, episode, TCG) did it ever say that alicorns were immortal? Do you have reference?

Immortal for all intense and purposes. Normal ponies live shorter lives. Alicorns do not. So Twilight would outlive her friends. 

12 minutes ago, Starforce said:

Immortal for all intense and purposes. Normal ponies live shorter lives. Alicorns do not. So Twilight would outlive her friends. 

While it was confirmed that in the Journal of the Two Sisters, alicorns did in fact age at a slower rate than regular ponies, i do not think that this translates to “immortal”. 

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, ManaMinori said:

While it was confirmed that in the Journal of the Two Sisters, alicorns did in fact age at a slower rate than regular ponies, i do not think that this translates to “immortal”. 

Either way, Twilight will still outlive her friends. I believe that is responsible for the state of the world in G5.

Funny timing on this topic, the G5 movie's literally just one month away and will very likely explain the fates of the Mane 6 now that Equestria's ancient. No need for debates when we are so close to getting the "final say", I believe. 

• Brohoof 2

What you said is a potential explanation, but it is also an interpretation. It cannot be disproven or proven, and therefore does not conclude the long-lasting debate as to whether Twilight will outlive her friends. Not that I disagree with your conclusion though.

As for my opinion as to whether Twilight will outlive her friends, I think it depends. I don't believe Twilight possesses immortality, but I also don't believe she possesses the lifespan of an average pony. Perhaps something in the middle, like an extended lifespan. However, whether she will outlive her friends really depends on if she will die a premature death.

• Brohoof 1

Quite a deep analysis that I'll have to agree with. :adorkable: I don't think Twilight could live with herself if she let all her friends slip away in front of her like that. That will kind of go against what she always said about 'You're a part of me, all of you,' or 'As long as we're together, we've definitely got this.' 

G5 will hopefully answer that question, either in a good way or a bad way. I think the fact that she's no longer there kind of implies that she did in fact slip away with the others. At least I hope so because I couldn't bear the thought of her outliving her friends. :(

Edited by TomDaBombMLP

8 hours ago, Ocean Wavedream said:

I think that Hasbro and the writers have left it quite vague for obvious reasons. However, what ultimately happened to Twilight should be answered with G5.

Not sure why what I said was disliked when it was...basically the same as this. :ButtercupLaugh:

It's pretty sad, but saying that Twilight 'never outlives her friends' reminds me of the way people refer to those who have passed who live in their memory. Because Twi made good friends with the other Mane 6 they will never leave her - they live in her memory. It's bittersweet :3 Celestia and Twi are destined to outlive their friends physically - this is hinted at with 'Tia multiple times, like with Starswirl, but 'Tia will never outlive the personalities she befriended and nor will Twi. 

Reminds me of this song:

All my life I tried so hard
To separate myself from all
That is and was and will be torn apart
You were running unafraid
I know you, but I've changed my way
You know I take it all to heart

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-08-10 at 8:45 PM, ManaMinori said:

Journal of the Two Sisters stated alicorta are long-lived, not immortals. With that, it’s entirely possible Twilight passed away by the time G5 begins

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

Twilight outlives her friends. Hasbro, and the writer's won't say it though because of the dreaded "D"(die)word, since My Little Pony is a kids show.

Edited by LonelyYugi

• 1 year later...

And wouldn’t you know it, they didn’t answer any of it fit G5. All that is hinted is that Twilight is a “posthumous character”. Which I think is retconning the longevity of alicorns’ lifespan. When Twilight went into the past to witness Celestia banishing Luna 1000 years prior, she has shown no signs of aging between that and her in the current day in the show. So the fact that an Alicorn younger than Celestia will die during a gap of time that Celestia has shown no signs of aging makes absolutely no sense. I wouldn’t be surprised if they tried to say that Flurry Heart is somehow dead. Which would make even less sense. I feel the whole thing with G5 is that they wanted an excuse not to bring back ANY of the preceding characters, regardless of how popular they were, even if some of them (Flurry Heart) returning makes perfect sense.