Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Spoilers: Avoid or seek out?

Venomous

When it comes to spoilers for upcoming movies and/or television series, do you view spoilers or try your best to stay away from them? Why?

prefer spoilers. I want to know what is going to happen. They don't ruin things for me at all.

• Brohoof 3

• The title was changed to Spoilers: Avoid or seek out?
2 hours ago, The Wife of Rengoku said:

When it comes to spoilers for upcoming movies and/or television series, do you view spoilers or try your best to stay away from them? Why?

prefer spoilers. I want to know what is going to happen. They don't ruin things for me at all.

I feel the same way. I try to avoid spoilers but they draw me in like a moth to a flame. :wau:

• Brohoof 1

It all depends. For pony, I actually prefer spoilers to a degree, since it helps me look at things more objectively going in. If we're talking something like an anime or a manga series, I avoid spoilers at all costs. Same with video games that have a good deal of focus on story, I want to be surprised my first time viewing. 

I avoid spoilers for things I absolutely will or want to see soon, but if it's going to be a while then spoilers can lure me back in.

As an example, I still haven't seen "The Last Jedi" and "Rise of Skywalker", but managed to avoid major spoilers up until a few months ago.

4 hours ago, The Wife of Rengoku said:

I'm with you. One step in deciding which movie to watch for me is finding out some info about the plot - maybe the "plot" section in wikipedia or somewhere else. I have to have some sort of an idea of whether I am going to like the movie before I buy (or even just download) it and watch.

I usually watch old movies, including movies about real events, so the information is already out there. By the way, I got interested in MLP:FIM after watching the review of the first two episodes by SFDebris. The review did a retelling of the plot including the ending and I though "this seems interesting, I should download those episodes and watch them, because they look like something I would like".

My question to those who avoid spolers at all costs - what if the movie is about real events (that you know about from history lessons or because you are interested in them)? Do you not watch it or do you enjoy it much less compared to pure fiction?

It depends on how much I care. For example, I spoiled myself on Rise of Skywalker and Sonic Forces because I had lost complete interest in them, but in the case of G5 and a couple of other things, I try to avoid spoilers like the plague.

For me it depends too. 

Normally I don't really care if I see them before the movie.  In case of a franchise which is important to me I try to avoid them as good as possible.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used to seek them out and watch them one frame at a time to get every detail I could get (which i did with the Star Wars prequels because I knew they wouldn't show anything too revealing no matter what). 

But nowadays I don't really like to know what's coming unless I'm indifferent to the movie or show in question. 

• 3 weeks later...

I avoid spoilers, generally, at all costs. I don't watch trailers, read synopsis, etc. This is the case for anything I am already interested.  

I like to view things as through the eyes of the protagnist/characters so that's why I hate spoilers. 

I check if shows have fanservice before I watch them so there's that. I check if the shows are respectful towards lgbt issues etc. So minor spoilers at most. 

Or if it's something I was never planning on watching then I watch spoilers. 

Edited by Miss

I usually try to avoid spoilers for the sake of suspense but there are some cases when spoilers actually attracted me to a work specifically, Persona 2 and YGO GX. Sometimes it takes awhile for something to take off and knowing something exciting Is gonna happen is a good enticement to keep going. But in a lotta cases where I'd like to keep guessing, especially something like a murder mystery~

• 1 month later...

Avoid like the plague if it's something I plan on checking out at some point, otherwise I don't care tooooo much.

I just like the surprise factor and being able to experience certain things myself for the first time.

• 3 months later...