Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music What Music Genres Do You Dislike The Most?

EpicEnergy

There is rock, EDM, dubstep, rap, jazz, heavy metal, pop, country, and many more - which ones do you dislike the most?

As for me, I think that rap and country music are the music genres that I dislike the most in general, although there are some rap and country songs that I really love.

I have a few.

The one I can say most confidently that I dislike because I have heard a lot of it, and not by choice, is Country. Country is just straight-up unbearable. Funny thing is that I adore Country Rock, Country Folk (like John Denver) and even Bluegrass. But Country itself is horrible. The best way I can describe it is that it is either one of two things (or both): Irritating or Depressing. I quite like depressing music, but the kind of depressing that some country songs are is literally depressing, as in it saps all of my energy and will out of me, it's so bad.

Some other genres that my more limited experience with has not been so positive:

Christian Rock. Christian Rock is just boring. I don't know why it is, but it is.

Metal. Just not a big fan of the way that the music sounds. I also don't like the screaming vocals that a lot of metal has. It completely turns me off.

Dubstep. Nearly anything electronic like this is a major turn-off for me, but dubstep really takes the cake. I have yet to hear a dubstep song that doesn't randomly devolve into unlistenable noise. Hey, if you like that, fine... But for me, no.

(I've heard a lot of modern pop that follows that trend of using strange sounds and devolving into ear-hurting noise, and.. I don't get it. I just don't)

• Brohoof 1

I am not a fan of:

• Jazz, all sounds the same
  • Classical, all sounds the same
  • Rap, all sounds the same and most songs seem to have the same overall theme
  • Rock, dislike it due to my overexposure to it
  • Country, all sounds the same but some songs are great
  • Any song with excessive screaming, some screaming here and there is okay but the whole song? No. Turn it off, that’s not music.

I normally don't like talking too much about things I don't enjoy, but since music is important to me I am giving this a shot.

Reggaeton - You can't build a genre over every song having literally the same beat. I think it is overblown and overrated, I apologize to its fans. 

Christian music in general - if the only "strong point" of your work is religious/ideological preaching then it is not good music in my opinion. Sadly most christian music I've heard was... very weak musicianship-wise. 

Thrash metal - metalhead disliking metal genre? This must be the part, where those who knows me fainted xD I consider thrash metal a little too... raw. I like my music spacey, not raw. 

Any kind of music with lyrics that are primitive at best and lack of any other hooks like good musicianship. 

Disclaimer: I don't hate these genres. Well, except one, which I will respectfully keep a secret. They simply are not in my taste and I won't think any less about their fans ever. Music is to be enjoyed by the listener, no matter what it is. You can enjoy every single genre I listed (that would be the weirdest musical perferences combination ever so please tell me someone like that exists so I can ask "HOW!!" xD) and I will like You still <3 

• Brohoof 2

Kpop, (I do not apologise for that, don't know why people like it) rap, (Because they love themselves) dubstep, (Because it sounds fake) and anything autotuned. (Because it's not real singing and it's proof they have no talent)

Edited by TomDaBombMLP
  • Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, Starforce said:

I really hate Rap and Christian music. Rap because its always about drugs, sex, violence and constant cussing / racial slurrs and Christian rock because of how preachy it is.

yeah, true
I can only handle Eminem cause he's at least the only one that've heard that isn't like trying to teach you a drug deal or just constant n word
though i can understand why many don't like it at all cause of the violence and swearing and sex

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

Kpop, (I do not apologise for that, don't know why people like it) rap, (Because they love themselves) dubstep, (Because it sounds fake) and anything autotuned. (Because it's not real singing and it's proof they have no talent)

If I may about the autotune part as someone who has a little knowledge on how music is being produced:

I'd change it to "excessive autotune used to hide obvious lack of musician's skills". Autotune is an amazing tool when it is used for artistic purposes (like in some Daft Punk's music) or to fix that one out of 200 notes that simply was way off and would require rerecording entire part, which in turn leads to paying more money for the recording session ;) 

Few times I was even fixing pitch on my guitar recordings, when for example guitar decided to be a jerk to me and suddenly go out of tune, ruining otherwise perfect recording (high five to every guitarist trolled by that stupid G string) :fluttershy: That's essentially the same thing autotune was invented for before being overused. 

• Brohoof 1

Let's see.. I dislike rap and hiphop (the most of all), electronic music (excluding eurodance and techno which I actually like), kpop, pop, R&B, jazz and country. Those genres are just big no-no for me

Country fucking sucks, 99% of the time they're singing about how they lost their truck or slept with their sister and need to drink the pain away

Modern pop music is the most corporate bullshit ever

Mumblerap, gone are the days of Tupac and DMC Run, now it's just a ton of rap music that all sound the same and you can never understand apart from the occasional expletive

Christian Rock is some of the most grossest, soulless trash ever, and only exists to push their religion on young people. The only good thing to ever come out of Christian Rock was that King of the Hill quote, "You're not making Christianity better, you're just making Rock n' Roll worse!"

Edited by Soundwave
  • Brohoof 3

gonna echo a lot of people here and say i don't like country at all. bo burnham's parody of country music is pretty much how i feel about it tbh.

also can't get into mainstream pop, it just sounds super boring ): typically i just stick to indie subgenres

• Brohoof 1

I love a lot of music styles lately. More than I did before, since someone has opened my eyes (ears).

I don't like rap that much, but that was mostly because it got too much at one point. Thankfully the rest caught up.

Music about faith, love, anything, is completely fine to me.

• Brohoof 2

I can’t stand country or rap unless the singer and/or lyrics are really good. For example, I like Carrie Underwood as a country singer and Mike Shinoda as a rapper. For me, the genre is less important than what the purpose of the song is.

• Brohoof 3

Modern rap. The rap songs I like are all pre-2000s. I also find most modern pop to be very bland and country has never been my thing either. Dubstep on the other hand is something that I used to sorta like, but I've heard so much of it, so now my ears just shut themselves off whenever I hear it.

While I dislike a lot of styles, if I heard some on the radio, I would reach for the tuning knob pretty fast. The ones I really dislike are avant-garde jazz (what I heard of it had less of a melody than the noise of a construction site) and mumble rap.

I also don't like dubstep and some styles I don't know the names of (when I don't like something, I am not really interested in information about it), but I can tolerate these for a while.

• Brohoof 1

Music genres I really don't like:

-Hip hop and rap. I really dislike this music. The worst of them in my opinion is btw. german rap for me.

-Hardcore techno and gabber. I love EDM when it is melodic (like Trance), but only a beat without anything other is just boring. 

-Extreme Metal like Black Metal, brutal death metal and mostly Grindcore. Same reason like Gabber and Harcore techno. But I like melodic death and symphonic black metal. 

-Schlager, a german music genre what is really strenous to hear for me personal. 

There is also a lot of modern pop music I find boring and uncreative.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021-08-27 at 6:42 PM, EpicEnergy said:

EDM, dubstep

Dubstep is a subgenre of EDM. EDM encompasses a lot of types, Eurobeat (the best one), drum n bass, drumstep, house, etc. 

On 2021-08-27 at 7:43 PM, Envy said:

Metal. Just not a big fan of the way that the music sounds. I also don't like the screaming vocals that a lot of metal has. It completely turns me off.

Again, Metal is one big genre with a lot of subtypes. A small selection of metal subs have screaming. And metal is a subgenre of rock which is an even bigger genre. 

As for me, I cannot stand country music. 

Edited by Celli

2 hours ago, Celli said:

Again, Metal is one big genre with a lot of subtypes. A small selection of metal subs have screaming. And metal is a subgenre of rock which is an even bigger genre. 

Well I didn't say that all metal has it. I'm aware that's not the case, but a lot of it I have tried to listen to does, and plus, I just don't much care for the 'sound' of the genre in general. Plus, due to the increased sensitivity of my ears over the past several years, I don't even listen to "louder" music I like often anymore (Streetlight Manifesto, Bad Religion - laugh all you want, those are the heaviest bands I have ever regularly listened to), so there's no way I'd be able to listen to metal which is even heavier.

Edited by Envy