Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which G4 special do you think is the best?

Paleopony

Which MLP G4 special do you think is the best?  

23 users have voted

1. 1. Which is best

• The Best Gift Ever
    • Rainbow Roadtrip
    • I don't like any of them
    • I haven't seen any of them

Both of these specials have their pros and cons, but of the two my favorite would have to be "The Best Gift Ever".

I was so disappointed by season 8 that I decided to take a break from MLP once the mid-season Hiatus started. However, when "The Best Gift Ever" came out, that break ended. While the special wasn't anything mind-blowing or outstanding, it felt like a pretty big improvement on season 8 and it gave me some hope back for the franchise. The special has some fun parts with interesting character interactions (The Derpy scene being especially memorable), and overall felt like a simple, but nice Christmas special. Another plus is that the School of Friendship was hardly, if at all, ever mentioned or shown in this special. Again, it's nothing crazy spectacular, but it is pretty good for being between two disappointing seasons.

As for "Rainbow Roadtrip" it was okay, but nothing too special. My main issue with it is that the plot feels very slow and lackluster, and the town of Hope Hollow wasn't very interesting. That being said, the big positive with this special are the characters. From Petunia, to Kerfuffle, the Barrel Twins, Torque Wrench and more, there are a lot of fun, interesting characters introduced in this special to help make up for the somewhat boring plot. It's too bad that these characters were introduced so late into their show's lifespan, because they have some great potential.

• Brohoof 3

Best Gift Ever is probably more interesting and well written(apart from Discord's bullshit) than Rainbow Roadtrip, but I like Rainbow Roadtrip more simply because it was the kind of special that I absolutely needed when I watched it. I think the simplicity really helps it, no massive apocalyptic event, no character-ruining/lore breaking trash. The story is really nothing special, it's as simple as it gets, it's just a story about the Mane Six helping other ponies, but the Mane Six here are at their absolute best, and the new characters introduced are really great. When I watched Rainbow Roadtrip, I had just quite literally rage quit the show after being burned one too many times, but I gave this special a chance upon finding out certain people weren't involved, and I'm glad I did. It really reminded me of the old days of S1 in all the right ways. It wasn't just where the show ended for me personally, but it's where the show I fell in love with back in 2011 ended

Edited by Soundwave
  • Brohoof 2

I'm not that big of a fan of either of them, but I prefer Best Gift Ever because I have a soft spot for Christmas specials and it does have some pretty funny and memorable moments (PUDDING!). Rainbow Roadtrip...is just too sluggishly paced while playing things way too safe for me to really get into. 

Don't make me choose D:

Seriously, I love them both pretty much equally. They both have flaws - RR is a little slow and low-key, but I do love the new chars, while the Best Gift is more fun but doesn't add much.

Ultimately maybe it has to be The Best Gift Ever, due to the songs :)

For EQG specials, I enjoyed the Holiday Special shorts compilation the most. I <3 the way they did the seasons. Also the snow-ball fight was great :D Forgotten Friendship and Backstage Pass are also great - maybe the Backstage Pass is marginally better. Groundhog ponies! If you liked EQG but got turned off the series like I did then give some of the specials a go.

i think rainbow roadtrip is incredibly underrated, the art style was really cute, the new characters were fun, and it was nice having a more simplistic special overall. i really only watch mlp for slice of life type episodes so it was nice to see something that wasn't focused on equestria ending or whatever. i also liked best gift ever but i enjoyed rainbow roadtrip more

• Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

The songs from The Best Gift Ever are more memorable than the ones in Rainbow Roadtrip. Plus, all the movie references like Charlie Brown, Elf, and Home Alone 2 are fun to find.

Edited by Twilight Luna
  • Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I love the art style and new characters (especially Petunia ^_^) in "Rainbow Roadtrip", but my pick is "Best Gift Ever", as I felt it had the more interesting story of the two. It also gave us Pistachio (third best fashion pony). :pistachio:

• Brohoof 1