Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

New Definition of Nerd/Geek?

Skytrotter

(edited)

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines Nerd as: an unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person, especially: one slavishly devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits

and Geek as:

2: a person often of an intellectual bent who is disliked

3: an enthusiast or expert especially in a technological field or activity

I've been noticing that a lot of individuals are now claiming to be nerds/geeks because they watch Sci-Fi shows/movies. As someone who was always ridiculed and bullied throughout my childhood because my peers labeled a nerd, I find this...a tad offensive. The only time anyone ever spoke to me without insulting me was when they wanted to copy my work. The only time anyone ever wanted to be around my unsightly self was when their grades depended on it. I only have one "friend", and she's only around because nobody else is, but when when someone else comes along, she'll throw me out so fast my neck will probably break on impact.

Watching a Star Wars movie, or any Sci-Fi film or television series, reading comic books or anything of the sort does not make you a nerd, or a geek. It's not some elite group, either.

Maybe I'm just feeling sorry for myself. Maybe I'm overreacting, but a lot of people who claim to be nerds have never been bullied throughout their lives, or else they wouldn't go around flaunting those words because they'd understand the social stigma.

****I'm making an OBSERVATION as to how the past DEFINITION has changed since my childhood, or since it was implemented into the dictionary. I am NOT claiming to be a nerd, as my bible: The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines it to be a derogatory word. I am also NOT saying that I was a nerd before this new trend (apparently this makes me sound like a hipster) and I am also not trying to say that you CAN'T call yourself a nerd if you don't fit into the dictionary's definition. Call yourself WHATEVER you please*****

Edited by Robin

Wow your lucky, you get bullied about your geekyness.... Nobody ever confronts me Q_Q

Anyways, if they aren't obsessed/read/watch it all the time then they aren't geeks. They can say they are, but it's like saying that gravity doesn't exist.

"Nerds" are cool now, haven't you heard?

Posted Image

I sympathize. I was also bullied for being a nerd/dork/whateverthefuck, and now it's the coming thing. All you can really do is know you were ahead of the crowd.

But then, you sound like a hipster.

Oh life, you never stop putting people in places they don't want to be.

• Brohoof 1

I have always considered being called a nerd/geek a compliment. After all, it means they are calling you smart. If some calls you a nerd or geek say "thank you" it's hilarious.

"Nerd" to me is a self-derogatory term. If you acknoledge yourself as such, you're basically calling yourself "an unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person".

If that's the intention of the people who label themselves as such, I have no problem with that. Who knows what reasoning that have behind that? The action of watching a single film does not tell the whole story of their life. But those who call themselves nerds/geeks because they think it sounds "cool" should really just cut it out.

one slavishly devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits

I think you just labeled half the people in East Asia. :P

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

"Nerd" to me is a self-derogatory term. If you acknoledge yourself as such, you're basically calling yourself "an unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person".

If that's the intention of the people who label themselves as such, I have no problem with that. Who knows what reasoning that have behind that? The action of watching a single film does not tell the whole story of their life. But those who call themselves nerds/geeks because they think it sounds "cool" should really just cut it out.

I didn't label them, the Merriam-Webster dictionary did!

"Nerds" are cool now, haven't you heard?

Posted Image

I sympathize. I was also bullied for being a nerd/dork/whateverthefuck, and now it's the coming thing. All you can really do is know you were ahead of the crowd.

But then, you sound like a hipster.

Oh life, you never stop putting people in places they don't want to be.

You don't have to be a "hipster" to notice this trend. It's everywhere. You'd have to be incredibly dense to not notice it. Oh, wait. I think you may have been making fun of me.

Edited by Robin

So all self-proclaimed nerds are masochists?

I do call myself a nerd, and I sure as Hell's Bells am unstylish, unattractive, and socially inept. I don't really think it sounds "cool" per se, but God ordained that I would be a tech-ie kind of person, so here I am, a silly nerd.

You don't have to be a "hipster" to notice this trend. It's everywhere. You'd have to be incredibly dense not to notice it.

Yes you do. The second you say, "I liked X before it was Y.", you sound like a hipster. *shrug*

(edited)

Yes you do. The second you say, "I liked X before it was Y.", you sound like a hipster. *shrug*

I didn't say, or if I did, mean to say that I was a nerd before this new trend. I'm not even saying that I AM a nerd. Just defining it and giving my lame story. My lame story should have implied that I am not, nor have I ever been prideful of the fact that people have labeled me as a nerd. I don't define myself as a nerd. *shrug* whatever, you're entitled to your opinion.

Edited by Robin

I DON'T KNOW WHAT I AM ANYMORE!!! :(

I've always considered myself to be a nerd (preferring that term to geek for some unknown reason) but that was mainly due to my love for reading, video games, the Internet, math, and science.

I've never been popular per se, but I'm far from unpopular. I have plenty of friends with whom I have enjoyable times with, impressing them with my wild assortment of random (and probably useless) facts.

...This thread is so against what happens in my school.

I am a dork, but a theater dork, and so many girls like me for that .-.

I get bullied by no one, even the guys come to see my plays.

I remember back when I was in Tpro last semester, the senior jocks loved my part so much (Sexual dwarf), that they got my autograph and invited me to a party. I said no of course, but you catch my meaning.

I guess the way kids bully differs from location to location.

So all self-proclaimed nerds are masochists?

It tends to be a trend, yes. Not all, but think about it. We're talking about the supposed "unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept".

Oh, wait. I think you may have been making fun of me.

Nope. I honestly wasn't. That's just how I see it. I do make fun of people around here sometimes, but not usually about things like this.

Sorry if you took it the wrong way.

(edited)

I recently got my haircut and before I did so, my hair looked like a Kuriboh.

The fact that I know what a Kuriboh looks like is enough to get me called a nerd by some people I know.

They failed to get the ShadyVox reference.

Edited by Vinyl Pon3 Scratch

What's with all the strict definitions?

If you like nerdy stuff (actually like it, not just pretending because they think its cool) and it takes up a lot of your free time, you're a nerd.

And sadly, hipsters have ruined the whole "liked it before it was cool" thing. That used to actually be a good thing. You were ahead of the rest of popular culture. Ahead of the curve.

But now, you're just some stupid hipster if you ever mention that you liked something before it was mainstream.

Same thing with irony :(

• Brohoof 3

If you like nerdy stuff (actually like it, not just pretending because they think its cool) and it takes up a lot of your free time, you're a nerd.

And sadly, hipsters have ruined the whole "liked it before it was cool" thing. That used to actually be a good thing. You were ahead of the rest of popular culture. Ahead of the curve.

But now, you're just some stupid hipster if you ever mention that you liked something before it was mainstream.

Once I saw you had commented on this topic, I came in.

I knew we'd agree /)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Maybe I'm overreacting, but a lot of people who claim to be nerds have never been bullied throughout their lives, or else they wouldn't go around flaunting those words because they'd understand the social stigma.

Exactly. Only false nerds take pride in their nerdyness and a true nerd does not label ones self as a nerd.

Edited by Flare^03

(edited)

I recently got my haircut and before I did so, my hair looked like a Kuriboh.

The fact that I know what a Kuriboh looks like is enough to get me called a nerd by some people I know.

They failed to get the ShadyVox reference.

You win my internets. ShadyVox is brilliant. Edited by Chill Mists (Chilly)

Posted Image

I haven't ever done that... So I'm not an average gamer girl... OH GOSH I'M SO HIPSTER RIGHT NOW.

I tend to hate this, too. Calling themselves "nerds"... Okay, I admit, I call myself a nerd pretty much. But I do see myself as the upper picture in roomforapony's pic... (except I'd me larger than the girl, tho. :D)

I've always been an oddball and I've been bullied because of that too. But I'm actually starting to like myself - I'm not talking about my looks, but what I actually like.

But even tho I might get shot... I'm one of those who say "I'm proud about being nerdy!" or even "being a nerd"!

(

Yeah I'm getting really tired of this trend, too.

Posted Image

)

(edited)

I'm not the one that created the definition. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary did. Society dictates what behaviors and or activities are nerdy, not I.

As I stated above, I cannot take credit for the past definition of nerd. I was making an OBSERVATION as to how the past DEFINITION has changed since my childhood, or since it was implemented into the dictionary.

And I most definitely was NOT saying that I was a nerd (I cannot stress this enough. I do NOT define myself as a nerd, as my bible: the dictionary, defines it as a derogatory term. I'm just me.) before this new "trend". All I was doing was making an observation as to how the world view has shifted. And providing an example of the past definition of nerd, and societies views on "nerds". Perhaps my opening comment wasn't as clear as I thought it was.

I've never understood the concept of irony, obviously.

Edited by Robin

Yeah I'm getting really tired of this trend, too.

Posted Image

Couldn't have said it better myself.

But the glasses thing isn't a necessity.

(edited)

Why can't a nerd call themselves a nerd? In my experience, the word isn't a good or a bad thing, it's just a noun (well, that's how it was at my schools, a least). I refer to myself as a nerd. Now, I don't go out of my way to call attention to my nerdiness, but if it comes up, I will, and if someone asks, I'll reply that I am indeed a nerd.

Once I saw you had commented on this topic, I came in.

I knew we'd agree /)

(

Edited by Evilshy