Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

New Definition of Nerd/Geek?

Skytrotter

(edited)

Why can't a nerd call themselves a nerd? In my experience, the word isn't a good or a bad thing, it's just a noun (well, that's how it was at my schools, a least). I refer to myself as a nerd. Now, I don't go out of my way to call attention to my nerdiness, but if it comes up, I will, and if someone asks, I'll reply that I am indeed a nerd.

(

Again, I wasn't trying to imply that individuals aren't allowed to/have the right to call themselves whatever they wanted. All I was doing was making an observation as to how the word/identity is interpreted in society today, and the differences between the past and the present. Call yourself whatever you want. You have the right to.

Edited by Robin

I have noticed that. That a real nerd is someone into school, technology, and being smart and always get bullied, and now it's video gamers into Nintendo, playstation, xbox, and being an otaku (Meaning obsessive of things) lol, I guess im that nerd, an otaku :P

Nerds, geeks... in other words, stereotypes. People are not stereotypes. They are real folks with real feelings, with their own character and personalities. Sure, they may have the credentials to be called "nerds", but once again that is a label.

Speaking again on the "deeper personality" thing, a person's sense of character should always overshadow stereotypes. Take me for example. I wear glasses, love video games, have a fondness for the sciences (especially biology and health), and am a good student. In the eyes of people, at first glance I would be considered a nerd. However, I am also highly jockish. I love sports. I just can't get enough of the thing. Athletics are really "my thing", as it were. I live for the competition, I am also arrogant at times and trash talk a lot. Would it make me a jock or a nerd in this case?

The answer is both and neither. You are what you are. If you allow yourself to be labelled as a stereotype, instead of standing up for your true character, then you are reinforcing the idea that all people who actively have interests for getting education, have glasses, and are good students are nerds.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yeah I'm getting really tired of this trend, too.

Posted Image

OMG! Real nerds don't have eyes!

I call myself a nerd all the time. I see no problem with it. While I wasn't actually teased or bullied in school, I do have a bit of a learning disability with mathematics. That didn't stop me from building two computers from discarded parts, and selling them for a nice profit. Besides that. Nerd girls are hot, just ask my husband!

PS. My glasses aren't a fashion statement. I have extremely poor vision. I don't drive much any more, because I don't trust my sight.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

I personally do not refer to myself as a nerd or geek. I do like things that are generally looked upin as nerdy, such as Pokemon, MLP, and Star Wars. I agree that being a "hipster"(realize the quotation marks :P) is the new cool thing for kids to do. I've seen so many kids go from 6th to 8th grade and COMPLETELY pretend to hate things that they used to like and pretend ti be gamers and internet users so that they can jump on the bandwagon. and most of these kids are tge obnoxious trolls that no-one likes and who just act like dicks because they can.

I am NOT claiming to be a nerd, as my bible: The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines it to be a derogatory word.

Oh gods I just realised this.

You know Merriam-Webster also added "funner" to their dictionary?

When I was little, I was a nerd with my nerd buddies. We were beat up, verbally abused, trashcanned, and all that jazz. We truly enjoyed various fantasy and sci-fi things. We were there, the opening day of the Phantom Menace, we've beta tested more games then we care to remember, and we've all owned tech ranging from C64's to XBox 360's. We were a group of friends, mainly together to spread the hatred over multiple shoulders. We are all still nerds, we just don't hang out anymore.