Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Only Hope for the G5 Special and Netflix Series for 2022

JMTV99

This is something that it has been on my mind lately, and I had to let this out.

We already know that the Generation 5 movie-A New Generation-will be coming out on Netflix in September of this year. However, Hasbro announced on their investors panel that MLP G5 will have a 44-minute special and TV series for Netflix next year(as well as YouTube content on the side).

On top of that, familiar faces in G4 such as G.M Berrow and Rebecca Dart will be coming back to work on G5.

So it looks like it's going to be a pretty big deal.

However, even though I'm very excited about it after seeing the trailer, I'm kinda worried about the series for G5.

I know it sounds a bit of a stretch to say that because the series won't come out until next year. No, it's not the animation since Boulder Media will be working on the series alongside with Atomic Cartoons. I'm not worrying about that.

What I am worrying about is the writing quality for the G5 series.

I mean, here's the thing. One of the main problems of G4 from the very beginning is that the writers being freelance writers and not being full time series staff writers. They would be assigned their episodes for a season, submit them, and then they were done. Maybe they would come back next season, maybe they won't. In addition to the new writers constantly joined the roster ever since Season 4. Finally, the old writers from the early days left to work on other projects and replaced by newbies who didn't even watch the show when they're writing(something that Larson had trouble with ever since he became the story editor in the first half of S5).

That's why the writing inconsistencies in the later seasons had much more to do with that than anything else.

But to be fair, I don't think that's a bad thing to bring freelance writers. It's the showrunners and the story editors' responsibilities to make sure to keep the quality consistent and natural.

The point is that the main reason why I was worried about it because I don't want the G5 series suffered the same inconsistent writing quality as G4 does since I want the series to stand out on it's own, rather than rehashing plot elements, inconsistent characterization, and questionable to downright awful writing decisions.

My hope for the G5 series going forward is to have a GOOD new writing staff who are actually know what they were doing, Plan out on what to do with the series from the very beginning. Keep the characters consistent and likable. Explore more lands in the G5 story, but also pays respect to G4. So that way, G5 will be in good hands.

So what do you guys think? Am I overthinking too much and should wait and see or you agree on some of my points? If not, let me know.

• Brohoof 8

I think we'll just have to wait and see. :coco: It will probably be best to wait until the series has ran for a couple of seasons (if it does) and they've been through a few people before noticing any writing problems or inconsistencies. Just my view. The thing I'm most worried about is the already outdated social media rubbish and the music. :sealed:

• Brohoof 3

5 hours ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

I think we'll just have to wait and see. :coco: It will probably be best to wait until the series has ran for a couple of seasons (if it does) and they've been through a few people before noticing any writing problems or inconsistencies. Just my view.

3 hours ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

We'll just have to wait and see, but I think we'll be fine. 

Okay, I understand.:kindness:

5 hours ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

The thing I'm most worried about is the already outdated social media rubbish and the music. :sealed:

Oh yeah, you're right lol:ButtercupLaugh:

2 hours ago, Courageous Thunder Dash said:

As others stated, we'll just have to wait and see how things pan out. Maybe these writers could've learned from the mistakes of the G4 writers (I'm looking at you Newbie Dash writers). 

And also learned from the things the G4 writers got right. Let's not be exclusively negative. 

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, Courageous Thunder Dash said:

As others stated, we'll just have to wait and see how things pan out. Maybe these writers could've learned from the mistakes of the G4 writers (I'm looking at you Newbie Dash writers). 

11 minutes ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

And also learned from the things the G4 writers got right. Let's not be exclusively negative. 

You guys are right. Sorry if I'm being a bit too negative(I don't want to be negative), but this helps make me feel better. Thank you so very much.:kindness:

• Brohoof 1

I agree that the writing should be kept consistent. Toward the later seasons it was especially noticeable that as old writers left and new ones came in, some of the newer writers didn't seem to have the same understanding of the characters and the world they were writing about. It also sometimes seemed that they didn't all have that same passion for the series as the writers who helped create it early on. That being said, I hope that G5's writers will have at least close to that same passion for the franchise as the original writers of G4, and that the writing can be kept fairly consistent throughout.

3 minutes ago, Landi said:

I agree that the writing should be kept consistent. Toward the later seasons it was especially noticeable that as old writers left and new ones came in, some of the newer writers didn't seem to have the same understanding of the characters and the world they were writing about. It also sometimes seemed that they didn't all have that same passion for the series as the writers who helped create it early on. That being said, I hope that G5's writers will have at least close to that same passion for the franchise as the original writers of G4, and that the writing can be kept fairly consistent throughout.

I understand.;)

If the writers, show runners and story editors give even a quarter of a damn more than the ones in S6, 8 and 9 did then it'll already be a step in the right direction

• Brohoof 2

18 minutes ago, Soundwave said:

If the writers, show runners and story editors give even a quarter of a damn more than the ones in S6, 8 and 9 did then it'll already be a step in the right direction

Yeah definitely.

You have every right to be worried, I agree. I fully expect writing to be the weak area of the G5 movie and don't expect much from writers from TV shows in general these days. Except writers who actually have a love for the thing they're writing for. :o

On 2021-08-30 at 1:32 AM, TomDaBombMLP said:

The thing I'm most worried about is the already outdated social media rubbish and the music. :sealed:

As I said before on another topic, social media can be both a good thing and a bad thing and let's be honest it's important to also talk about how friendships can be affected by such things and how it can be used responsibly and irresponsibly. technically it's not outdated it's actually now part of our culture and has been for the past few decades. It's not going away. Heck if it wasn't for "outdated" social media, this very website we're using to talk with each other right now wouldn't even exist

And as long as the showrunners can show both sides of social media and how to use it responsibly I won't have any trouble

• Brohoof 1

When we say: "bad" or "not good" writing, can someone explain what that means? How specifically was it lackluster or inconsistent? I ask because this isn't the first time I have heard of this complaint/observation and didn't understand it. I don't mean that in the sense that I disagree, I just want to know why the writing is seen in this light.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

You have every right to be worried, I agree. I fully expect writing to be the weak area of the G5 movie and don't expect much from writers from TV shows in general these days. Except writers who actually have a love for the thing they're writing for. :o

I understand.

1 hour ago, Will Guide said:

As I said before on another topic, social media can be both a good thing and a bad thing and let's be honest it's important to also talk about how friendships can be affected by such things and how it can be used responsibly and irresponsibly. technically it's not outdated it's actually now part of our culture and has been for the past few decades. It's not going away. Heck if it wasn't for "outdated" social media, this very website we're using to talk with each other right now wouldn't even exist

And as long as the showrunners can show both sides of social media and how to use it responsibly I won't have any trouble

Fair enough.

41 minutes ago, The Wife of Rengoku said:

When we say: "bad" or "not good" writing, can someone explain what that means? How specifically was it lackluster or inconsistent? I ask because this isn't the first time I have heard of this complaint/observation and didn't understand it. I don't mean that in the sense that I disagree, I just want to know why the writing is seen in this light.

It mostly because the writers making the characters out of character, not learning their lessons, and forcing to go in any situation just for the sake of making the plot work.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

I never see the writing to be an issue. If people want to find the higher meaning in a cartoon show about ponies, then I view that as a losing battle. I only desire consistency. One of the things that angered me a the most about G4 was the retconning they did for my favorite pony Rainbow Dash. One episode she would be nice the next season she would be a jerk. So I not so much care about good episode writing but rather consistent episode writing. Where the main characters learn from their mistakes and grow episode to episode. Personally I could care less about flaws in the "morals of each episode" I would view the "morals of the main characters" to be more important.

7 hours ago, EarlBowserDube said:

I never see the writing to be an issue. If people want to find the higher meaning in a cartoon show about ponies, then I view that as a losing battle. I only desire consistency. One of the things that angered me a the most about G4 was the retconning they did for my favorite pony Rainbow Dash. One episode she would be nice the next season she would be a jerk. So I not so much care about good episode writing but rather consistent episode writing. Where the main characters learn from their mistakes and grow episode to episode. Personally I could care less about flaws in the "morals of each episode" I would view the "morals of the main characters" to be more important.

That's fair.

You know, I think that many critics put too much of an emphasis and too high of importance on quality writing when they criticize a TV show or movie. I know that lack of quality writing really bothers many of them, but quality writing is not necessarily imperative to the entertainment and enjoyment that a TV show or movie provides. That is a large flaw in the criticize of movies and TV show nowadays, the overemphasis of quality writing.

To put what I said into perspective, G5 does not necessarily need quality writing to be enjoyable and successful, and therefore to worry about such is unnecessary.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, EpicEnergy said:

You know, I think that many critics put too much of an emphasis and too high of importance on quality writing when they criticize a TV show or movie. I know that lack of quality writing really bothers many of them, but quality writing is not necessarily imperative to the entertainment and enjoyment that a TV show or movie provides. That is a large flaw in the criticize of movies and TV show nowadays, the overemphasis of quality writing.

To put what I said into perspective, G5 does not necessarily need quality writing to be enjoyable and successful, and therefore to worry about such is unnecessary.

I understand your point.

Like I said, sorry for overthinking a bit too much. I'll just wait and see on how the show plays out.

You have valid concerns which is understandable and you've every right to feel that way. However, we don't know how things are going to turn out until we actually see it for ourselves. We need to give the writers the benefit of the doubt.

9 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

You have valid concerns which is understandable and you've every right to feel that way. However, we don't know how things are going to turn out until we actually see it for ourselves. We need to give the writers the benefit of the doubt.

Okay, I understand.

On 2021-08-31 at 8:41 AM, The Wife of Rengoku said:

If you compare the plots of "Spike at Your Service" and "Gauntlet of Fire", what people are talking about when they gripe about bad writing is the lack of consistency between characterizations of one character in a given episode showing their best traits versus one with their worst traits, the latter of which is generally permissible on the condition that the writers allow the character to learn and grow.

See, it comes down to this: People like watching their favorite TV characters make mistakes, learn, and grow up, not a rollercoaster of making mistakes and learning in one episode, and then completely undercutting it in the next. It doesn't respect the viewer; in fact, it makes them not want to relate to a character at all.

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-09-01 at 1:38 AM, JMTV99 said:

I understand your point.

Like I said, sorry for overthinking a bit too much. I'll just wait and see on how the show plays out.

No need to apologize for holding an opposing opinion, but it's a good idea to wait until G5 is fully released to make any judgments on it.

6 minutes ago, EpicEnergy said:

No need to apologize for holding an opposing opinion, but it's a good idea to wait until G5 is fully released to make any judgments on it.

Okay. Thanks.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

After watching the G5 movie, I can safely say that Generation 5 is in good hands (for now).

At least we have one G4 writer, GM Berrow, to write the G5 movie. So that's fine by me.