Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How popular will G5 be?

CastletonSnob

It won't come close to the popularity of G4 mainly as it had an army of 4chan pretty much making the show a meme. Which then became a fandom, I mean that's how it started bros who like ponies. Though now my little pony is pretty much seen as a show like any other there isn't really this gasps for air you watch a show for little girls. So you know I think it'll be as popular as most Netflix shows or movie in other words people will likely watch it then forget about it haha. 

The mlp we love is special and you know I don't think that will be something we'll see again anytime soon. Some probably are trying to overhype it because maybe they miss the golden days of the fandom. Yet honestly to me at least the fifth generation in my opinion is a step away from the fourth generation. In other words I believe it will be more tailored towards selling toys and I suppose they might try to keep it somewhat gender neutral learning from the success of the fourth generation. Yet come on let us not kid ourselves it'll not come anywhere close in popularity that and the interest in ponies well I mean the fourth generation will have a fanbase that will last forever yet the new generation I'm guessing at best they'll be fun but like honestly it will doubtfully be like the my little pony we love. 

That's my opinion at least would love for Hasbro to prove me wrong but well given the direction the show was already going and the very controversial Twilicorn mostly about selling toys it is obvious even the fourth generation was being kept away from going full kids show by the writers and cast hasbro so long as they can produce and sell toys are happy as such they may be completely content with just making this show and some toys then that's it. I have been in the fandom for a long time and I know the previous generations, remember the dramas it would be great if the fifth generation was great though also a miracle honestly we still should be optimistic for it.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94
  • Brohoof 5

It will not top the show that popularized brony culture, not a chance. It just does not happen. I once compared G4 to the Final Fantasy VII of the franchise. G5 will likely be the Final Fantasy VIII of the franchise. Good, arguably great, but will not resonate with people anywhere near as much. :nom: 

• Brohoof 5

Hopefully it’s at least good enough to keep it around for a while 

24 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

It will not top the show that popularized brony culture, not a chance. It just does not happen. I once compared G4 to the Final Fantasy VII of the franchise. G5 will likely be the Final Fantasy VIII of the franchise. Good, arguably great, but will not resonate with people anywhere near as much. :nom: 

as someone who’s favorite mainline game is VIII, I hope it’s as good 

• Brohoof 4

43 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

And the characters will earn bits as salary rather than through monster encounters.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Soundwave said:

Hopefully it’s at least good enough to keep it around for a while 

as someone who’s favorite mainline game is VIII, I hope it’s as good 

Second favorite for me. :twismile: You get the comparison though, nothing ever tops what popularized that franchise in popularity. For more video game comparisons, look at Street Fighter II, Resident Evil 4, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Always goes like this. 

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, Fluttershyfan94 said:

It won't come close to the popularity of G4 mainly as it had an army of 4chan pretty much making the show a meme.

Don't forget that MLP FiM premiered on a network that no one even had at the time (The Hub).

2 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Second favorite for me. :twismile: You get the comparison though, nothing ever tops what popularized that franchise in popularity. For more video game comparisons, look at Street Fighter II, Resident Evil 4, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Always goes like this. 

This could also applied to cartoons such as Spongebob and Adventure Time.

To expand my thoughts:

I still think it's a bit too early to say since G5 was not even out yet. Although, from the looks of the clips and trailer, it may not be as good as G4 as it looks like a generic modern animated kids film with ponies in it.

But then again, it doesn't have to be as good as G4. You can stand out by doing your own thing.

I mean, G4 does it and I don't see G4 banking off the success of G3 other than re-using characters and settings.

That's what G5 should do. Just be your own thing.

Yeah, it may sounds risky, but at least it will be different.

• Brohoof 1

I honestly don't think it will because FiM was more unique and had just that little something that clicked with so many people. G5 just looks interchangeable with a lot of things that are out now. Even though I kind of like the animation, I just don't think it's as pretty as G4

• Brohoof 6

Right now, no, I don't think it'll reach the same popularity as G4. I do think it will be good at the very least and hopefully it will bring in some new fans.

• Brohoof 2

Something I did think of, whenever there was a new episode coming or season the forums would become popular. Lot of posters and speculations now you see none of that. It is obvious that there is no hype from bronies, perhaps as many of them moved on yet honestly if this was going to be popular. Then would it at least not reflect that in the hype for new seasons I mean come on there was more hype for equestria girls then this. 

Where is the hype my bros, or do we maybe just all acknowledge the fact that this will at best be a cash grab and maybe a little enjoyable one perhaps. Still I will watch it and I will discuss it.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94
  • Brohoof 3

honestly, i have to agree with some people, it won't be as popular as G4. It really depends on the show, whats the story about, how will the story flow, the characters, the popularity of the show etc.

• Brohoof 3

I think that it could be popular, but it most likely won't be as popular as G4. I heard that G4 was kind of in the right place at the right time, at the dawn of internet fandoms and such, so it blew up in popularity. G5 would have to be really good to became as popular is G4.

Edited by Ocean Wavedream
  • Brohoof 1

G5 will never have the same kind of popularity that G4 had. G4 was one of those once-in-a-lifetime type of things so even if G5 replicated it right down to the very last detail, it would still be seen as playing second best to something which had been done before. That doesn't mean G5 will fail, far from it. So long as Hasbro has faith in it, it should last for several years. Of course, the success of the toy line will play a huge factor given how the company relies on this to determine whether to keep something going or ending it and starting over again.

• Brohoof 3

I don't expect G5 to reach the popularity that FIM reached. FIM was basically lightning in a bottle that caught 4chan's eyes before spreading throughout the internet like wildfire. Not to mention it was The Hub's flagship show from the day of its birth, and no other show could compete it in terms of quality and engagement.

Now, does this mean G5 will be worse than G4? No. It can be every bit as good as G4 or better; it depends on the characters, worldbuilding, and storytelling.

That said, I'm more than happy to be wrong, and if ANG starts off strongly, then it could lead to bigger and better things. Here's hoping.

• Brohoof 3

21 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

I don't expect G5 to reach the popularity that FIM reached. FIM was basically lightning in a bottle that caught 4chan's eyes before spreading throughout the internet like wildfire. Not to mention it was The Hub's flagship show from the day of its birth, and no other show could compete it in terms of quality and engagement.

Now, does this mean G5 will be worse than G4? No. It can be every bit as good as G4 or better; it depends on the characters, worldbuilding, and storytelling.

Wow, that's really putting it into perspective!

Personally, I think it can surpass G-4, but it'll be difficult to pull off.  It can take G-4's worldbuilding and run with it; it could show us locations we've only seen on maps before.  But they'll need to be careful and really good at storytelling!  ...Not to mention characterization!

• Brohoof 4

Completely impossible to say at this point. Being a direct sequel to the most popular iteration of the frsnchise will certainly help. But on the other side of the coin, G5 invites comparisons to G4 due to the association. 

It's also hard to know how long Netflix will keep the show around. Might last a full 3-5 seasons + specials, might get canceled, etc.

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-09-18 at 10:29 AM, TheAnimationFanatic said:

Completely impossible to say at this point. Being a direct sequel to the most popular iteration of the frsnchise will certainly help. But on the other side of the coin, G5 invites comparisons to G4 due to the association. 

It's also hard to know how long Netflix will keep the show around. Might last a full 3-5 seasons + specials, might get canceled, etc.

I hope the Netflix MLP show has a three season model like Disney has with their shows but since Netflix is a streaming service they operate differently. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234