Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A philosophical inquiry about the afterlife

Discordian

• 3 months later...

Eenope. To me afterlife is just a way that allows certain people to better cope with the idea of death. After all, it's much nicer to think that your spirit will live on or you'll go to heaven rather then just believing that you die and your body will slowly rot for hundreds of years. All in my own opinion, but for me the "afterlife" is just a way to remain unafraid of the inevitable death.

• Brohoof 1

I'd be glad if I did, I'd like to, but it just doesn't seem too... logical. I'll probablyh start believing when somebody from my closest family dies, I don't know if I'm strong enough to keep sticking to logic when I need support.

I believed in it back when I was a christian, but now, it just seems just like a mindset someone would put on a person to keep them cheerfully awaiting their demise.

I believe nothing will happen, and we'll just rot in the ground.

Nope, I've been an Atheist for awhile. The idea of infinite nothingness sounds good to me, and I'm perfectly okay with my life being worthless in the long run because there's no appeal to any sort of "forever" to me. THAT sounds like a hell, honestly.

It sounds morbid, but I swear I see all this really really positively. :3

• Brohoof 1

Not really, I seriously don't want to believe my soul will forever be attached to this world, I mean if there is even such a thing as a soul.

Edited by SrFrog

Honestly, I find the idea of an afterlife a lot scarier. I'm not talking about being judged for sins or anything, just the idea that I would live for eternity. I think it's safe to say I would get infinitely bored eventually.

Nope, death being the end is a lot more appealing to me. I won't be around to have any opinion on it either way once I experience it anyway :P

Edited by Evilshy
  • Brohoof 3

sounds so meaningless to think that nothing will happen after you die, and that you'll just rot away after death. not that i have any idea at all what happens after you die, but that there's something more to dying other than 'you'll die and rot away from the earth' honestly sounds a lot more better to me, imo.

sounds so meaningless to think that nothing will happen after you die, and that you'll just rot away after death. not that i have any idea at all what happens after you die, but that there's something more to dying other than 'you'll die and rot away from the earth' honestly sounds a lot more better to me, imo.

Just because it sounds better doesn't make it true. I do agree that it would be great to have an afterlife of some kind, but that doesn't make it practical.

I don't believe in an afterlife, and in fact I really don't even believe it is possible. Our consciousness is chemicals interacting in our brains. There's nothing more to it. It's sad and all, but that's just the way things work. I don't think it makes us 'meaningless'. To me, the fact that I don't have an afterlife and all I have is this very short time of consciousness pushes me to be a better person and do more, because I know that the only 'afterlife' is people living after me and what the world will be like for them.

Edited by Envy

Not religious at all, but yeah, I do believe in a afterlife. I didnt use to, but because of my job and the amount of people I have been with at the time of death, my opinion has changed.

I do hope there is a afterlife, and that when my time comes I will be greated by all the people and animals I have lost. Would be nice wouldn´t it?

Then again, if there is just nothing, I will never know. But for now, I like to think that way, I dont think about death anyway, comes to us all and noone has survived life yet ^_^

Despite my rejection of organized religion, I would like to believe our existence is more meaningful that some several year stance on a tiny dot in the universe. Obviously I cant prove anything, but nothing after death just seems way too grim for me.

Yes, I do. I've explained elsewhere in greater detail why I believe in an afterlife, so I'll avoid being redundant.

To me afterlife is just a way that allows certain people to better cope with the idea of death

As far as religion goes, if you believe the teachings of an afterlife is simply a way to cope with death, then you do not know what religion is. There is more to religion than simply believing in the possibility of a happy ending.

Of course, you didn't directly mention religion, but considering a majority of afterlife beliefs come from religion, I shall assume you were referring or at least including religion into that statement.

There are numerous accounts of resuscitated people describing what sounds very much like an afterlife. Whether it is heaven/hell or a phenomenon the brain goes through while it dies, it can easily be interpreted as an afterlife.

• Brohoof 1

I think it would be nice, but I don't think anything happens after we die.

Eenope. To me afterlife is just a way that allows certain people to better cope with the idea of death.

I'd be glad if I did, I'd like to, but it just doesn't seem too... logical.

I believe nothing will happen, and we'll just rot in the ground.

^I agree with these posts

I don't really believe in an afterlife. I think when we die, we're dead and that's it...we just rot in the ground. Sounds kind of bleak, but I like to be realistic.

As far as religion goes, if you believe the teachings of an afterlife is simply a way to cope with death, then you do not know what religion is. There is more to religion than simply believing in the possibility of a happy ending.

Of course, you didn't directly mention religion, but considering a majority of afterlife beliefs come from religion, I shall assume you were referring or at least including religion into that statement.

There are numerous accounts of resuscitated people describing what sounds very much like an afterlife. Whether it is heaven/hell or a phenomenon the brain goes through while it dies, it can easily be interpreted as an afterlife.

I did perhaps refer to the Christianity side of afterlife, Heaven and Hell as I felt it was the most well known. However, I posted what I believe and that is that the afterlife is a way to deal with the ever-engulfing parasite that is death. There is no proof to determine that an afterlife is real for no groups of people who have "seen the great beyond" have any evidence to back it up, nor is there any evidence to disprove the idea of an afterlife. I merely wished to state my own opinion because, in my eyes, the idea of Christianity's heaven is to show that if you do good in life then you get rewarded in death, which is a very odd way to get rewarded. I still stick to my belief that without proof then the afterlife cannot be proved/disproved, however I don't see a real means of an afterlife. As Crispy said, "I was nothing prior; I'll be nothing after" so if you were nothing before birth then why are you something after death?

Yeah. I'm Christian.

I believe in heaven, hell and purgatory. (I don't know if purgatory counts though...)

the idea of Christianity's heaven is to show that if you do good in life then you get rewarded in death

Like I said, there is more to the belief in heaven than simply a place to get rewarded for your life's work.
  • Brohoof 1

Personally I don't concern myself with whether there's an afterlife or not. Verily, I do think upon it but more in the sense of the philosopher that I am, always coming up with a thousand possibilities to what the afterlife is like if it truly exists. At the same time, I don't deny the existence of the Christian God, as I've felt his touch, but neither do I feel the need the follow that God just because he does exists (There is much I disagree with within his teachings) so I still consider it a reality that there is some form of afterlife but whether that is the only afterlife is a mystery. On top of that I still play with the thoughts within my mind that maybe the Christian God is deceiving the entire world and he's doing it so well that the Christians make it sound like he cannot lie (They literally tell me this: That God does not lie to us, like the devil) which to me sounds like the perfect deception as easily as it sounds like the perfect soothsaying.

So my answer is yes and no but I don't dwell on it because I refuse to spend my life preparing for an afterlife when there is so much to enjoy in life that I more than likely won't get to do in the afterlife.

• Brohoof 1

I was dead an infinite amount of time before I was born and I will go back there and forever be at peace along with the people who already died, the people who haven't been born yet, and most of all, the infinite amount of people who never will exist.