Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP: A New Generation: Brony (MLP Forums) Reviews/Reactions/Discussion

Dark Qiviut

MLP: A New Generation (MLP G5 premiere!)  

111 users have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike?

• Pipp Petals *nearing tears*: "It's supposed to be my best show ever. Now it's all over." (I HATE IT! >__<)
    • Hitch Trailblazer: "No, thank you. I got it." *grumbles back at his campfire* (I dislike it!)
    • Zipp Storm: *back to Sunny and Izzy* "Don't tell them you saw me." *glides away* (…meh…)
    • Sunny Starscout: *sings "Gonna Be My Day"* (I like it!)
    • Izzy Moonbow: "Hi, new friend!" (I LOVE IT! :D)
  2. 2. Following this movie, who's your favorite of the Mane 5?

• Izzy Moonbow
    • Sunny Starscout
    • Pipp Petals
    • Zipp Storm
    • Hitch Trailblazer

Well after a full watch with a plan to watch it a 2ed time:

• Style:  I really did love the style they did,  it worked super well with the CG and designs of the ponies and world.  Whole, all the characters animation style had a good nice flow,  nothing seemed out of place with the movement and the details!   We could see the ponies where fuzzy,  the designs on the horns of the unicorns added a lot of flare,  and the details of the wings with the feathers of the peggies just made it like the perfect burger all coming together.  They really have brought MLP to a new animation style for a new gen! 10/10
  • Music: I loved most the music,  the opening song Sunny sings really shows off Vanessa Hudgens singing voice super well and sets up who Sunny is off the bat!  Each of our Mane 5 overall just had a good flow and set up song wise.  We had good background music which hit home in setting up a mood for each part of the story,  even more with the unicorns....:  7/10
  • Plot:  Overall the plot is a good strong backbone as we get to explore this new world setting of MLP,  given we get a sense many many gens have passed from the days of Twilight and her friends. Yet my thing is we also get a lot of questions of: What happened to make the 3 ponies tribes part?  What happened to Twilight?   Why do we have a crystals and why did they get made in the first place? Are Luna and Tia still around given they are immortals? Where are the other races like the dragons and changelings and etc? What happened to Sunny's dad?  Hopefully the new series will dive into this,   a few parts did feel rushed a bit but: 8/10

Watched it with @Starforce and @Loud Opinion and it was great fun :)

I would give it a 6.5/10 on the FiM scale, which is actually very impressive given how much I <3 FiM.

Anyhoof... it's been a long time since I've done this...

The good

Some of the new characters. I was warming to Sunny, Izzy and Hitch. The dialogue between them all felt natural and as characters they had an engaging interaction. Izzy and Sunny at the start worked well - both wanting something they can't get at home.

The location characterisations, from music to visuals were all extremely on point - Bridlewood, Maretime Bay, Zephyr Heights all have their own sound and feel.

The voice actors were very good - especially Sunny, Izzy and Hitch, but Pipp was also a good VA.

The songs were fun and good overall. I can't do a highlight so I will just rank them: Glowin' Up, Fitting In, I'm Lookin' out for you, Danger Danger, It's alright.

The animation in general was very strong - eg the scene where Zipp took the ponies to a secret room in the castle with the stained glass lit up in the sun; also the montage where Izzy and Sunny were travelling to Zephyr heights. 

The meh

The story felt thin. It wasn't bad or unsatisfying but it felt like it was the background to the characters/animation. There was no anticipation. 

Pipp and Zipp were a little lacklustre as characters - there was too little to go on with them, although I did like their family with Queen Haven. 

The message felt weak. There was a message about diversity and prejudice/fear of the 'other' but it felt undercooked - the different tribes should have known that they weren't hostile. There was no genuine problem and so it didn't feel at all impressive when the characters overcame the problem. For example, when Queen Haven, and random tea-shop owner Alphabittle meet and give their crystals to Sunny (after taking them back at first???) there is not much reaction from either of them.

The bad

Nothing! There was no point where I was bored or irritated by the movie! 

• Brohoof 4

Rushed, I will say, but that seems to be standard with the series.

I don't exactly know what I was expecting, so it was good in that way.

So will the series keep the same animation quality or do like most and cheapen? (I will note that to me the manes and tails looked good, but the fur...looked like felt)

Music...seemed standard issue for modern movies. 

I'm not a movie reviewer so I don't really know what else to say.

Spoiler

I want to say I seen something carry over, but I'm not sure if I'm just looking too hard at the few scenes or not. I'll have to watch again and look with a fresh mind...but a few places/others claim to agree with me.

Spoiler

I can see where the NYT review pulled from too...hopefully the series doesn't follow...

Edited by TheGleaner

I just watched the movie!

I thought it was fantastic!! The animation, the characters, the locations and the songs were all really awesome!

The Mane 5 are all awesome too! I really do like all of them and It’s good that all of them have something unique about them and they all have message that they want to get across too.

Zipp was easily my favorite of the new characters: Loved her look, had a great voice and I liked her backstory too.

The one thing I didn’t like about it was the “villain”. He just wasn’t that interesting to me and he was kind of annoying too, but hopefully it won’t be a thing in the show.

Is this better than FiM? No, but it’s good that they’re trying to make it their own unique thing while still calling back to what came before.

Lots of things to look forward to with the new generation.

Also… Mayonnaise. Just saying…

I give this movie a 8/10! :ticking:

• Brohoof 3

I loved it. It was a beautiful film. :kirin: As with all great things, I didn't want it to end.

It was everything I wanted it to be. Great characters, good storyline, catchy songs and very funny. And that totally unexpected opening scene with the Mane 6! So good to hear Tabitha, Ashleigh, Tara and Andrea play those roles again!

I'm guessing everyone else noticed the Starswirl picture in Sunny's house?

Edited by Solar Power
  • Brohoof 3

I LIKED! IT'S GOOD! IT'S VERY GOOD!

And I theorize, that nearly 5'000 years may have passed. Since Hitch, confirmed 

Spoiler

That the tales of Twilight and The Mane 6 are/were looked at as fairy tales/folklore.

Edited by bwrosas
  • Brohoof 1

What an absolutely enjoyable experience, which in the end was all that I was hoping for.  Not movie of the year, but it didn't need to be.

I love the style, the 3D animation was so colorful, smooth and full of life.  One thing I really appreciated was the deeper detail that even made it to where not everypony was the same size.  The environments they created were well placed and themed.  Zephyr Heights was breathtaking and not just for the movie, but in general it was amazing to behold.  Even its dungeons looked wonderful.  The increase in technology didn't bother me nearly as much as I feared it would.  If anything, it felt more lived in.  Good or bad?  Hard to tell, but just based off the movie I felt it was mixed into their world well without magic to separate it as easily.

Of course though, the show was stolen by the characters.  In just an hour and a half we got a lot out of these characters.  A lot was put in to develop each character with plenty left over to explore further down the road in the future.  Although I don't think Izzy really needed magic, that horn was already OP.  The voice actors did an amazing job and I really hope they manage to stay on for the remainder of the show.  The humor was fun and kept the pace moving forward.

The music was great, but I'll have to give the crown to Gonna Be My Day.  Not only did it fit the scene to match the character it was about, it had to be stuck in my head the rest of the day.  I enjoyed them all though.

The weakest part, which I don't consider all that bad for what is main stream these days, is the story.  Great first half and the rushed afterwards.  The purpose was served though, it got me hooked and asking enough questions to want to continue with the series for those answers.  Along with wanting to see more of the characters too of course. 

Can't wait for all the theory videos about to come out.  The highlights for me being Sunny's Alicorn status, even though it looks temporary like the Super Pony 3 Rainbow power up the Mane Six had for like a season and a half.   And, the curious mid-credit scene... Earth Ponies getting a magic buff?

• Brohoof 4

Spoiler

Hooo boy! Where do we start from here?

When I first heard about G5 early this year, I was a bit hesitant on it. I feel like it's not going to be as good as G4 and taking the CGI route is something that I'm not really a fan of. Then, I saw the Hasbro's virtual investor meeting with the new look of the ponies, I was a bit mixed on it. On one hand, it looks nice. But on the other hand, the faces looks way too DreamWorks for my liking.

As time went on, I'm slowly starting to get used to it since more character reveals, the animation, and the colorful backgrounds keep popping up. I quite like a little bit more.

Then, the voice cast reveal happened. The casting choice were pretty interesting and we get to hear the voices of the characters. I'm really impressed and it does give me hope that G5 will be in good hands.

Afterwards, we got a Netflix trailer. I enjoyed it and my hope for G5 grew bigger and bigger. Unfortunately, the leaks ruined the hype for everyone, but hey, it's the Internet. What can ya do?

After one and a half month of avoiding spoilers (for the most part), Generation 5 has finally arrived! Before I watched it, I was so nervous because I don't wanted to be hugely disappointed. However, I did get my fingers crossed and hope and pray to God that this movie will be decent(also going in with very low expectations).

Now that I finally watched the movie, and I gotta say, I actually really enjoyed it. I had a fun time watching G5. Not to mention, it left me with huge surprises.

First off, the animation. The animation was GORGEOUS! It was crisp, it was clean, it was so beautiful. Massive props to Boulder Media on that one. The character movements are amazing as well. It was fluid, fast, expressive, and full of life. They kept it horse like without being too cartoony. They give the characters expressions without being too over the top and distracting. It's a nice healthy balance.

Secondly, the characters. I love ALL the Mane 5. Sunny, Izzy, Hitch, Zipp, and Pipp did end up becoming my new favorite characters in the MLP franchise. The movie did a good job of giving the characters their chance to shine equally. Sunny was basically Twilight, but filled with wonders, hope, optimism, and want all pony races come together. Izzy could've been a huge Pinkie Pie clone, but her charming bubbly personality kept a smile on my face. Hitch was pretty fun and he had a great mix of Applejack and Fluttershy in terms of his honesty and being a animal lover. Zipp does give me Dashie vibe, but in a way feels natural. In her whole life, she wanted to fly, but the magic was gone, she stuck with the alternatives to make her feel like flying like the wires and the air blower. Honestly, I really do feel bad for her because she really loves to fly just like Dashie. As for Pipp, I was really worried that movie was going to make her a obnoxious token social media star, but thankfully they tone it down for the most part and I can tolerate her a bit.

All of the other characters are pretty cool. Sprout was definitely the hammiest character in the entire movie, but he was fun to watch. Alphabittle was great. Phyllis does have that Applejack feel and I do like her. Queen Haven was pretty fun. Argyle was a great dad character, though I knew from the beginning he's gonna be dead, but I still like him. Plus, the voice actors were very amazing, too. Massive applause to them.

Third, the plot. The plot was pretty simple, but execution was solid and well told. Sunny's dream was she want all pony races come together. As the movie progress, it kept building up and building up until near the end, which I'll get to later. It kinda reminds me of the FiM pilot in which Celestia tells Twilight to makes some new friends and while fighting off Nightmare Moon. It's a great throwback but give it a fresh new take. I really enjoy it.

Fourth, the humor. The humor was very spot on. It does have the classic FiM witty humor which I love. It very well timed, very well paced, and overall pretty funny. Also, thank god there is no meta humor in this movie because I would cringe if they did that.

Fifth, the nerdy Easter eggs. Even though Gen 5 take place in same universe as G4, but in a far far distant future, there are some G4 Easter eggs in this movie that I did catch like the Main 6 figures, cutie marks, glass stain window of Twilight, Starswirl picture, The Wonderbolts poster, Elements of Harmony poster, etc etc. If you are a huge G4 brony, then you are gonna LOVE the references in this movie. Especially the Main 6 made a cameo in the beginning of the movie, with the original voice actors to boot.

Sixth, the songs. While the songs are not Daniel Ingram quality, but there good songs on their own. My favorite is Gonna Be My Day and Fit Right In. They're very catchy, super upbeat, and it fit very well for MLP. The Alright song is a close second favorite since I like the 'na na na' part. Danger Danger was pretty fun since it does have that Nirvana feel to it. Everything else was meh or alright.

Finally, what do I think of the climax? Damn. I don't know what to think of it. We all know the Zephyr crystal and Bridlewood crystal, but I never expected a third one from Sunny's home. The part were Sunny gave up and put away her Mane 6 figures kinda broke me since she love the Main 6 throughout her life, but once she found out that there is a third crystal from her dad, I was choked up a bit because it was like the last piece of her dad shared a bedtime story with Sunny before he died. Now, it's the final price to bring all pony races together, and make her daddy proud. If that's not touching, then I don't know what is.

As for Sunny-corn? Well, I'm not surprised. I was spoiled due to the leaks, but the more I do think about it, I actually don't mind it at all. In fact, I think it was much better handled than Alicorn Twilight. Sunny wasn't like a full fledged alicorn, but more of a power up. At least it didn't ruined the dynamic of the Main 5 since Sunny is still a Earth Pony. Maybe we'll get an special or an episode of the G5 series that continues where Sunny learns to controls her powers, but we'll see.

Overall, I really enjoyed this movie. It's cute, it's fun, and it does feel like MLP G4 that I remember from the early days, but doing it's own thing. Although, there a couple of issues I had with like the predictable moments, and the unanswered question about the ponies being separated, but everything else is decent.

I'll give it a 7.9 or 8 out of 10. Solid recommendation and I'm looking forward to G5 special and the series on Netflix.

Edited by JMTV99
  • Brohoof 4

well, this picture from the official comics became rather funny today :mlp_icwudt:

image.thumb.jpeg.8399407785165e4ee6a9dac2c601eccb.jpeg

Spoiler

Check Lucina all the way to the right. Her original VA, Laura Bailey, voiced a background character in the movie :mlp_icwudt:

I was hesitant was at first, but I was pleasantly surprised of how much fun this movie is. Not great or amazing, but it was decent.

There are some issues I had with it, but everything else was spot on. If you're a fan of MLP G4, you're gonna love this movie. If you are a casual who is not experience with MLP, check it out and give it a chance.

I'll give it a 7.9 or an 8 out of 10 stars. It's a fun, cute, and enjoyable film.

• Brohoof 2

So, the climax and ending! Comments under the tag!

Spoiler

I don't know if Sunny becoming an alicorn's permanent or not, but if she is, there's reason for her to become one, and she more than earned it. Throughout her entire life, she believed her late father that unicorns, pegasi, and Earth ponies lived in harmony and honored that memory throughout. Whereas everyone turned away from the Magic of Friendship and was taught bigotry, she refused to let the propaganda conquer her. She lived her open-minded philosophy by example and turned out to be right. When leaders representing each tribe began to believe her at last, the crystals activated and turned their trust to her.

• Brohoof 4

59 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I didn't really understand the ending.

Reveal hidden contents

How/was Sprout punished for his actions?

Will Sunny Starscout randomly become an "alicorn" from now on? 

Yeah, I was bugged about that, too. Hopefully the G5 special and the series will answer that.

58 minutes ago, abrony-mouse said:

G1 pony in G5 in the angry song? What do you think?

image.png.65c595521f886f7523e51067331389aa.png

Sorry, I couldn't resist lol.

• Brohoof 1

I enjoyed it but it wasn't as good as I was expecting it to be. Some of the characters didn't really appeal to me as much. The animation felt weird to me as well and I hope that it Isn't used in the actual G5 show. It was an okay movie didn't catch my attention too much though so I'd probably give it a 6/10 

The best characters to me  are: Izzy, Sunny and zipp although I'm not a fan of her design.

The characters I didn't like as much is: Hitch, sprout and pip

Edited by Alpharius
  • Brohoof 2

It was so light-hearted and jovial. I couldn't say anything bad about it. I just really missed the mane six. Wished the Windygos would have been mentioned or explained. And... well *sigh* Twilight..... 

• Brohoof 1

Finally watched it and really liked it. Zipp was unsurprisingly my favorite but I liked most of the new cast, though I was impressed with how much I liked Hitch, probably my second favorite if the bunch. Ending does feel pretty abrupt. That said I think this is probably the best MLP movie so far, which probably isn't saying much since it's honestly not a high bar, but I do mean it sincerely

• Brohoof 2

Just finished watching the movie. Far surpassed my expectations in the writing department, I could not believe it. The pacing of the plot was phenomenal, every character had actual development and growth, and there were very few jokes I didn't find funny. I'm definitely giving the show a chance now! They really did an awesome job capturing the magic of Friendship is Magic with this! :squee:

• Brohoof 1

It was a pretty cute movie and it had some funny gags, but it felt like there could have been more lore. They never explained what the great divide was all about, and while I know that kind of tension normally comes without much reasoning, it would have been nice to know if there was some battle or other sort of calamity that brought about all the stereotypes.

Originally Zipp was my favorite, but they barely touched her sciency side and she didn’t do anything that made her too attention-grabbing in my opinion. She seemed to be the only mane character who didn’t get as much attention. Hitch was previously one of my favorites and he still is since he’s very adorable and charming, just like his voice actor.

I’m hoping that once the show begins, they’ll have time to go into the lore a bit more and develop the characters that weren’t on the screen for very long. G5 has potential, and while I don’t think it’s great yet, it didn’t strike me as being bad or boring.

I will also say that the best part about the animation is how fluffy and dynamic the manes are :wub: Makes you actually want to work a brush through them! It was also interesting to see the messy mane styles, too. Would’ve been more authentic if hairs were flying around or if some ponies had twigs, leaves, etc. in their manes, though.

• Brohoof 4

5 hours ago, Will Guide said:

Although isn't me or did they steal the character design of the father from Pixar's Onward along with his belief that the Magic would return and have him killed off early on to make Sunny's father? Lol.

1434C0B3-D62A-4591-ABC2-6BEEC822C202.jpg.3db846471f64056b17489fa3781aa6f8.jpg

medium.jpg.98cac231d806c73cce398b54cd72536e.jpg

Seriously they look like they could be each other's counterpart

EDIT: just so we're clear I'm not saying this like a bad thing. I'm just saying it's quite the coincidence

Dang, I can just imagine the awkwardness when Pixar confronts Hasbro about this one day

• Brohoof 2