Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP: A New Generation: Brony (MLP Forums) Reviews/Reactions/Discussion

Dark Qiviut

MLP: A New Generation (MLP G5 premiere!)  

111 users have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike?

• Pipp Petals *nearing tears*: "It's supposed to be my best show ever. Now it's all over." (I HATE IT! >__<)
    • Hitch Trailblazer: "No, thank you. I got it." *grumbles back at his campfire* (I dislike it!)
    • Zipp Storm: *back to Sunny and Izzy* "Don't tell them you saw me." *glides away* (…meh…)
    • Sunny Starscout: *sings "Gonna Be My Day"* (I like it!)
    • Izzy Moonbow: "Hi, new friend!" (I LOVE IT! :D)
  2. 2. Following this movie, who's your favorite of the Mane 5?

• Izzy Moonbow
    • Sunny Starscout
    • Pipp Petals
    • Zipp Storm
    • Hitch Trailblazer

That was WAY better than it had any right to be! All characters were quite charming and just....GOD, it was so enjoyable! I missed having some pony to look forward to and this really filled a void for me!

I really hope the potential series follows the heart and charm of this. <3

• Brohoof 3

Really like this movie! Has a some flaws, like a kind of weak climax and the resolution is a bit pat but overall the new cast is great IMO ^^. The chemistry is really well established for them, (Though Pipp could use less of the Millennial Gen Z jargon (Make it feel like a "Hi fellow Kids" kind of thing)) and it looks to set up a new series pretty well, though I'm not quite sure what it'll be about. 

Spoiler

Some more spoilery things I wanted to mention.

- I don't think Sunny will be an alicorn permanently. Reason being the toys being pushed out are for an Earth Pony and Hasbro isn't likely to create a short term toy run just to avoid spoilers.

-The Mane 6 at the beginning was really nice. Showing off how their friendship even so long after still influences Sunny

- I also really like the letter thing, because it's literally a small flame of friendship going out to push back against the hatred  and distrust the ponies all seem to share now

- Ending did wrap up a bit too neatly? Like everyone just kind of gets along now. I mean I get it and I suspect the series proper will address things like this but still kind of just ended, bit anticlimactic is what I'm getting at

But yeah overall really good first outing for the new generation ^^

Something something Star Trek TNG. Engage ;P 

• Brohoof 1

Light movie. I mean it was really cool and calm. I think it worked well for the opening something new. I have the impression that there were much bigger plans for the movie, but not enough time to show them. I was also concerned that starting a new generation with a movie might be a fiasco. Well ... it wasn't like that. But the 2017 movie definitely got me more. I'm not saying this movie is less cool but... it's so different. And It's very subjective. We've known the characters for a long time in the 2017 movie. Maybe that's why this is my feeling about this generation. And if I hadn't known mane 6 before, maybe I would have thought the same then in 2017...  but I still need to remember this is only opening. I hope you know what I mean... it could have been endearing, and it sure was a bit, but it still was very good

I wish the new characters had more of their screen time.  More adventure and mystery that was in the G4.  I have the impression that I was only allowed to touch the cake.  :BrightMacContent:When I'd like to eat it whole. Alone. The animation is godlike. I'm looking forward to the coming series so much. I missed that mystical feeling we had in the previous series. Huge world with different lands, dragons, lord of the moon, all season ending antagonists [...] a well-known story of the protagonists and their characters . I hope there will be plenty of them in the episodes and we will get to know new characters more.

I think the series will draw us even more into the world of G5. And I'm glad people liked it too. I have some hopes but I will leave them to myself. (I just don't want anyone to prove to me why some things can't happen but it's good to believe :kindness:)

Well My thoughts and/or opinions on the movie is that it's great. The characters, animals, and critters are actually cute. As of mane 5 goes, well for sunny, she's like the leader of the mane 5. For Izzy, Well she has that nice energy, pretty much matching pinkie pie's energy although she's cute. For hitch, well a little on the fluttershy's side when it comes to animals and critters. For pipp on the other hand, she has that rarity vibe when it comes to spotlights. For zipp, i think half of my thoughts were like rainbow dash's vibe, but i can't place my finger or hoof on it so i'm trying to think and see what she's like a little more.

• Brohoof 2

Here's my thought :D

First thing Izzy is so hyper active and that automatically makes her my sis' fav pony my opinion on her? I LOVE her. Her design is amazing just like all the other character and I really love her personallity.Now onto the movie. There's a particular scene that I love the most. Two words, giant robot! Also my thought one the song? It's WONDERFUL! My fav song is Fit Right In and Danger Danger because those two sounds AMAZING. Everything in this movie is perfect, though, I really want to know what happened to all the other creatures, like the Yaks, the changelings, the seaponies, the griffins. What happened to them? Why does'nt any of those appear in the movie? I think that question would be cleared up if they decided to make a series for this movie.

That's my thought! Thanks for having the time to read this :catface:

• Brohoof 1

As I said last night, ANG had massive shoes to fill. FIM established a monster legacy of not just showing that feminine products can have universal appeal, but also establishing the revival era of family-friendly Western cartoons. With The Last Problem capping this great series off, ANG needed to produce a worthwhile successor. Needless to say, they delivered it in a HUGE way. :D G5 has proven that it can be every bit the worthwhile successor, and I can't wait for the upcoming series. :D

• Brohoof 5

I thought it was pretty good.

I liked all the characters. As expected Izzy was my favorite.

My headcannon is that Twilight foresaw the ponies breaking up and created those crystals and the lighthouse to bring them back together. But like the elements of harmony they needed a spark of real friendship to get them going.

I do wonder if Sunny will stay an alicorn. That had a really temporary look.

I was also looking at the levels of technology. (REALLY glad there wasn't as much emphasis on social media as I expected.) Seems like the pegasai had the highest level of technology then the earth ponies, then the unicorns were the least advanced, which makes sense since they used to rely on magic.

I thought the design on Sprout's big mecha could have been better.

Seemed pretty dumb that the pegasi were ready to arrest their own royal family for some stupid trickery.

And there were plenty of cool little details I'm sure I missed. I especially liked the movie posters outside the theater.

• Brohoof 1

Just finished it after being unable to participate in THE day of hype and uhhhhh

It's a mediocre kids' movie with fun concepts. Not especially good, not especially bad. Still a fun watch anyway. Just what the doctor ordered.

12 hours ago, doomie-22 said:

I'm expecting this to be a short-lived flop. Leaks have revealed they're doubling down on everything that went wrong with G4, and official announcements have made it clear they're all in on the woke stupidity. Combine that with the fact that the discontinuity will help break some rabid fanboys out of their cognitive dissonance and see it for the mess it is, and you have a recipe for a solid crash and burn. Of course, I can't see them admitting that since Netflix makes it easy to hide the real performance numbers and they may be able to get them to manipulate the official ratings as well, but they'll know it's a flop and presumably abandon G5 in short order. Mark my words, it won't do nearly as well, and people will be begging to have G4 back. Why? Because there is no way in hell G5 will be given 9 seasons. It’ll get the usual 3 and call it a day. Replicating the runaway early success and influence of G4 is nigh impossible. But while that's obviously impossible with the current staff, it is possible to build a future MLP franchise that recaptures G4's success. The key is artistic integrity, passion, and a dedicated team just like it was for G4 under Faust.

lol calm down

33 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

I can't wait for the upcoming series. :D

I agree 100%!

Also, Izzy Moonbow is pure joy in pony form, I’ve watched the movie twice now and I can’t stop smiling.

I can’t wait to see where Izzy goes, who she meets and what she crafts in the upcoming series.

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 5

Overall, it was a good movie. The characters were fun but I wish there had been more screen time for them to develop. It seemed like they were being rushed from scene to scene without any time to breathe. What if Sunny had shown Izzy all of her ancient Equestria stuff and Izzy recognized some stuff? That would have been neat to see. Maybe Sunny told Izzy stories that her dad told her about the mane 6 and Izzy had her own stories that she was told but they were different. The whole thing with the crystals could have been handled better. No backstory about them or an explanation as to why Sunny's lighthouse just so happened to be the place they were to be put together. There could have been some foreshadowing from an old journal or something. There are so many questions that I hope the new series will answer. Also, did anyone else see the Spike doll that Sunny had or the painting of Starswirl? :BornAgainBrony:

Edited by Twilight Luna

Each of the Mane Five has their own unique charm despite having references of their predecessors.
  • Hitch mostly resembles a combo of AJ and FS. Being the sheriff, he was the most studios, lends a hand when needed, and had to resolve his own prejudices.
  • Izzy reminds everybrony of a unicorn Pinkie Pie. Most outgoing, self-assure, and selfless. Stands out the most among the other unicorns. But unlike Pinkie, she kept to herself more and had lifelong ambitions of meeting other ponies, hence keeping the momento.
  • Pipp resembles Rarity. However, Rarity had to climb up the status to be noticed. Pipp already has the privilege by being a princess and celebrity. By landing rock bottom, she became more in common with the common pony than she though.
  • Sunny is the Twilight. But she sometimes doesn't think things through and in reverse, believed in the Magic of Friendship taught by her dad.
  • Zipp has a major difference from Dash: a lack of self-confidence. She wants to fly and constantly tries, but can't. Gliding hurts her, as she knows pegasi can do more.
  • Brohoof 5

Honestly and from my perspective, the movie was pretty good. :fluttershy: Some of the songs (not all of it) l like them, the atmosphere in general, the characters was also good, but on that first scene when they represents the mane six again l was like: "Rarity, what did happened to you?! :blink:" when somehow became evil, but when l saw all the ponies were playing with those figurines, l calm down. Thank Celestia that it wasn't real... :ButtercupLaugh:

Didn't liked that part really much, but the rest of the movie was good at least. :squee:

Of course, l won't forget that moment when Rara opened the door for me, introducing the mane six and seeing my personal favorite pony of all time, Rarity! I still love her so much and she will always be in my heart! :wub:

I will say I think it'll be to this G's advantage that it will be on Netflix. They won't be hampered by network time slots and commercial breaks and can make episodes as long as necessary to execute plots/morals. That was an issue that often held G4 back.

Definitely looking forward to seeing more of these ponies.

• Brohoof 4

After a couple of hours of meditation, a milkshake and a coffee, here are my thoughts. :pout:

First off, I absolutely adored watching the Mane Six in the opening scene, it was a lovely gesture. The 2D animation used there was gorgeous... Too bad that scene ended the way it did, though.

I don't really like the 3D style (not just for this movie, but in general), but I have to recognise that the work done in this movie is outstanding. The effects and animation are nothing short of amazing, while the designs and details in the locations are truly impressive, with Zephyr Heights being my favourite. However, I'm still not a fan of the designs chosen for the ponies. The more I look at them the weirder it gets. :sealed:

I remember how everyone started panicking over this:

"The introduction of new characters and a departure from designs featured in Friendship is Magic and Pony Life is intended to shift the brand’s focus to more modern themes like diversity and inclusion.
The movie’s main character, for example, is an activist working to make the pony world a better place."

I won't lie, when I knew about it I was a bit worried as well, but it didn't end up as nearly as bad I imagined. :)

I had a lot of concerns about the modern technology, social networks, the Internet and all of those things. And while I still hate those concepts being present in the MLP universe, it wasn't too annoying nor distracting here, to be honest.

Story-wise, I have a couple of problems...

The whole adventure wasn't as epic as I had expected it would be and the resolution of the conflict felt way too rushed. 

I find quite interesting that the first time Sunny was giving her speech everypony else would hesitate and some would even tell her off, while the second time she tried to convince them, they seemed to be willing to give in. :huh:

And the ending... Oh my god. It made me scream. I suppose I could say that I saw it coming but at the same time I didn't want to believe it. Like... are you for REAL?
I have one question. Why none of the ponies seemed to be surprised with Sunny transforming into an alicorn? They never touched the alicorns issue throughout the movie, which leads me to think that they didn't believe such thing could exist. And if that's the case, then why do they not go crazy once Sunny became one?

Also, look at Sunny's wings and horn. They are transparent and shimmering and don't look like actual limbs. These two factors make me assume that her transformation is merely symbolic rather than a literal permanent change.

By the way, Sprout abused his power by building an army and almost killed innocent ponies just to be seen as the savior of Maretime Bay, and he doesn't get a proper punishment?!?!

Those three little ponies at the mid-credits scene... could they be the Cutie Mark Crusaders of this generation?
What are those marks on the ground that spark?

WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN?

I guess the most heartbreaking thing of the movie was finding out Sunny's father died and that he couldn't witness her daughter accomplishing her mission. It brought some tears to my eyes.

I have a hell of a lot of questions regarding characters and locations, which I for surely hope they mention in the upcoming series, or even the special. For now, I can only say that it was a good start. Good, but not great. In my opinion it could've been way better.

About the music... well, I will say that the only song I tolerated was "Fit Right In". :yeahno:

6/10

So yeah... it's either that or it's that I still can't accept that G4 ended (nostalgia feeling hit me hard today) and I will learn to appreciate this movie a lot more eventually. I don't know, only time will tell.  :grin:

Edited by Pearly Marshmallow
Removed the spoiler tag
  • Brohoof 2

I was excited all throughout work to watch this movie when I got home 

:muffins:

Overall: I thought it was good! It wasn’t great but it was definitely good. I give it a 3.5/5

Animation: Stunning. This was a beautifully animated film. The backgrounds were gorgeous and the attention to detail on the ponies is something that will never cease to amaze me.

Humor: This film had a lot of moments that made me laugh. Most of the jokes hit.

Music: The songs were pretty good, much better than I had anticipated! My favorites are Fit Right In and It’s Alright. The song I didn’t like, though, was Angry Mob, as It just felt a little too silly to me. I think that it would have been better if they made it more serious/fear-inducing. I think that his intimidation level with this song should have been put on that of Scar’s from The Lion King in Be Prepared.

Characters: 

• Hitch was and still is my favorite character. He is the best.
  • I realized that I like Izzy! She wasn’t nearly as annoying as I thought she was going to be, a step down from Pinkie Pie’s hyperactivity and zaniness. She is more oblivious than annoying which is something I can deal with. I don't love her but I like her more than I originally did.
  • I felt indifferent toward Sunny and I still do feel that way. I knew exactly the kind of character she’d be when the movie’s story was revealed…She is Twilight minus the stubbornness to make friends. We all knew that, though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • I ended up liking Zipp as well. I was so worried she would be a straight up Rainbow Dash copy but to my (pleasant) surprise, she wasn’t.
  • The only character out of the main cast I disliked was Pipp. I just didn’t find her interesting. She was just sorta there.
  • I liked the mama’s boy relationship Sprout had with Phyllis. It was funny! But Sprout as the villain? I didn’t love that. He should have been depicted as much more intimidating.

Random: 

• I noticed that we didn’t get an explanation as to how ponies hold things. They literally just place their hoof onto something and it sticks, was really hoping to get clarification on that because it's just bizarre. 
  • I also really wanted to see the main cast of G4 in this animation style and I am honestly bummed out that we didn’t get that. A quick flashback would have sufficed...
  • Why were Sunny's wings and horn made up of a magic aura? Why weren't they physically a part of her body?
  • Why does Pipp have super fluffy wings?
  • Why are cutie marks on only one side of the pony?
  • How did this segregation occur?
  • Why are animals attracted to Hitch?
  • Brohoof 6

I went into it trying not to compare it too closely to G4. G5 already has its work cut out for it living up to all the expectations. And, despite a few minor initial misgivings, I liked it, probably more than I expected to.

The characters were cute, reasonably well designed and had, along with a lot of plug & play aspects, some nice subtleties as well.

The plot was fine. I don’t need half a dozen different plots competing with each other just to make the movie feel more ‘epic.’ That definition of epic, which is grossly overdone in movies and TV these days, only convolutes the main story and character development. Keeping it simple always works best, and it worked well here.  

It had some clever writing and characteristics that we’ve seen before, and the songs overall were decent. I didn’t see Daniel Ingram’s name in the credits (and was too lazy to rewind and check) and it would be a loss not to include him in this. Not all the songs were classics but I liked them in general, and really loved two.

The sort-of villain works for me. Funny, unexpected and workable. And by the time the movie was over I was wearing a pretty good smile on my face. I don’t know how consistent it’ll be as a series, but I’m definitely going to watch. It’ll never have the instant connection of G4 (which had me hooked in about three minutes flat), but taking it on its own merits it still has enough quality to justify its existence. 

• Brohoof 1

I hated it, it gave no backstory on how or why the magic disappeared, Where is twilight? The ending was really weird, why did no one comment on Sunny’s transformation? I thought it was impossible for that to happen to an earth pony, and the thing with sprout was really random, the music sucked. What happened to all the other places in Equestria? What happened to Flurry Heart? She was just a baby in G4, so where is she now? Did the mane six’s work go to nothing? The 3 races do not like each other and are fighting, where are the windigos? Why does everyone seem like they don’t know what alicorns are? Princess Celestial and Luna ruled of VERY long and were alive for VERY long so why isn’t it the same with Twilight? Also the Canterlogic place gives a monsters inc feel to mlp it’s kinda ew. Apart from that my least fave is The purple Pegasi (I forgot her name) and my fave has got to be Hitch.

• Brohoof 1

I'll preface this by saying I didn't compare the movie to G4 at all, and I won't. No matter how perfect they could have made it, there was no way the movie would ever live up to the magic of G4 and all the memories we made with it. FiM was its own thing, and so is G5. Not to be cliché, but G5 the start of something new; thus, it will take time for it to develop its own magic, and for us to make memories with this new generation.

Anyway, I'm rambling. On to the movie.

I thought it was pretty good. If I'm gonna nitpick, the ending wasn't as climactic as it could have been. It just seemed a bit too sudden to me. That's something I noticed throughout the whole movie; a lot of scene changes and big emotional moments happened too fast. Even a short two-second addition could've helped blend everything together.

To use the ending as an example, after the lighthouse falls over, Sunny immediately seems like she knows the answer. If for a brief moment she looked lost in thought, or maybe an expression showing she'd suddenly figured it out, then it would have flowed better. But she's just stone faced the whole time. That kind of thing is a minor detail throughout the rest of the movie, but at such a pivotal moment, it's a little immersion-breaking.

Also, I don't like how they completely glossed over Sunny becoming an alicorn. I think it fits that she became one, but it barely gets acknowledged in any way. It's just kind of, "Ope, Sunny is an alicorn now. Let's wrap up and go home, nothing special here! We see alicorns all the time!" It doesn't taste good after a mildly weak climax (imho). Becoming an alicorn is a huge deal, and it should have been treated like one.

I do also wish we could have gotten a little more backstory on what happened to Equestria, how it seems almost all memory of the princesses got erased, why did the windigos not show up, etc., but I can understand why they weren't included in the movie. They've got plenty of time to explain all that in the future media they've got planned for the series.

But like I said, I'm nitpicking. It was a really cute movie overall, and I loved it (especially Izzy- her voice acting and character design are on point, and she's so funny). I can't wait to see where G5 goes.

• Brohoof 4

SPOILER ALERT!

Spoiler

So I found a way to watch the movie and I really like what they did with the movie. I loved the cameo of the Mane 6 and the bond between Sunny and her father. I was thrilled to hear the old voice actors on the old Mane 6. This movie feels like MLP FIM but also it's own thing. Sunny's activism at Sprout's mom's presentation of the safety equipment made me cringe but I love how the movie is showing kids and adults there is a right and a wrong way to do activism regardless oho good one's intentions are. Sunny learned to practice what she preached instead of just preaching to other ponies. The unity and metaphors for racism/ableism in the movie are pretty tame and not overly political with direct references to our world, similar to how the first Land Before Time movie by Don Bluth handled racism among types of Dinosaurs, the line about Sunny having "tiny brains" reminds me of how Cera said Longnecks had small brains. I like how members of each pony race tried to save each other from Sprout's machine because they valued each other's lives as the machine threatened to crush them all. I thought Sprout should be certified insane for the whole movie. Sprout has a ton of bizarre mommy issues.  

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Pearly Marshmallow said:

After a couple of hours of meditation, a milkshake and a coffee, here are my thoughts. :pout:

Hide contents

First off, I absolutely adored watching the Mane Six in the opening scene, it was a lovely gesture. The 2D animation used there was gorgeous... Too bad that scene ended the way it did, though.

I don't really like the 3D style (not just for this movie, but in general), but I have to recognise that the work done in this movie is outstanding. The effects and animation are nothing short of amazing, while the designs and details in the locations are truly impressive, with Zephyr Heights being my favourite. However, I'm still not a fan of the designs chosen for the ponies. The more I look at them the weirder it gets. :sealed:

I remember how everyone started panicking over this:

I won't lie, when I knew about it I was a bit worried as well, but it didn't end up as nearly as bad I imagined. :)

I had a lot of concerns about the modern technology, social networks, the Internet and all of those things. And while I still hate those concepts being present in the MLP universe, it wasn't too annoying nor distracting here, to be honest.

Story-wise, I have a couple of problems...

The whole adventure wasn't as epic as I had expected it would be and the resolution of the conflict felt way too rushed. 

I find quite interesting that the first time Sunny was giving her speech everypony else would hesitate and some would even tell her off, while the second time she tried to convince them, they seemed to be willing to give in. :huh:

And the ending... Oh my god. It made me scream. I suppose I could say that I saw it coming but at the same time I didn't want to believe it. Like... are you for REAL?
I have one question. Why none of the ponies seemed to be surprised with Sunny transforming into an alicorn? They never touched the alicorns issue throughout the movie, which leads me to think that they didn't believe such thing could exist. And if that's the case, then why do they not go crazy once Sunny became one?

Also, look at Sunny's wings and horn. They are transparent and shimmering and don't look like actual limbs. These two factors make me assume that her transformation is merely symbolic rather than a literal permanent change.

By the way, Sprout abused his power by building an army and almost killed innocent ponies just to be seen as the savior of Maretime Bay, and he doesn't get a proper punishment?!?!

Those three little ponies at the mid-credits scene... could they be the Cutie Mark Crusaders of this generation?
What are those marks on the ground that spark?

WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN?

I guess the most heartbreaking thing of the movie was finding out Sunny's father died and that he couldn't witness her daughter accomplishing her mission. It brought some tears to my eyes.

I have a hell of a lot of questions regarding characters and locations, which I for surely hope they mention in the upcoming series, or even the special. For now, I can only say that it was a good start. Good, but not great. In my opinion it could've been way better.

About the music... well, I will say that the only song I tolerated was "Fit Right In". :yeahno:

6/10

So yeah... it's either that or it's that I still can't accept that G4 ended (nostalgia feeling hit me hard today) and I will learn to appreciate this movie a lot more eventually. I don't know, only time will tell.  :grin:

I agree that I do not think the wings and horns are permeant like Twilight's wings since her wings and horn are obviously not attached or flesh like Twilight's. Sunny was simply magically representing 3 kinds of ponies while Twilight was physically an Alicorn. I think the reason these ponies were not surprised by the magic wings and horn is because they are already shocked the other pony races aren't smelly, gross and evil so an extra alicorn isn't anymore shocking than the other pony races. Sprout should be locked up in a mental institution. He's a psycho. 

• Brohoof 3