Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

[Spoilers Ahead!] Much Deeper Than You Think! The Real G5 Movie Villain

Courageous Thunder Dash

Just like the G4 movie, we must look deep into the G5 movie. A few hours ago, I saw a thread floating around asking about the villain of the movie. At first, I thought it was going to be Sprout's mom and Sprout himself. However, this was something much bigger and even deeper...

Ladies and Gentlemen, Fillies and Gentlecolts, I present to you...the villain of the G5 movie...

Spoiler

Fear itself

You see, somewhere along the way, there was something that grew from a seed...a seed of bitterness, jealousy and envy. Every species of pony has its specialty, and that's where the struggle to embrace the differences came into play. 

Essentially, it was a mental battle, a battle to overcome the fear of differences and standing for what you believe. At the moment Izzy showed Sunny her childhood letter, the barriers started to crack. 

Meanwhile, Sprout was overcome by fear as displayed in the angry song, where that fear started to morph into hate and envy. 

The biggest reason why Sunny became a princess was because she overcame all the odds and shoved fear aside. She knew that the only way to restore magic was to reunite the three species using the magic of friendship. 

And there you have it, the G5 movie villain explained. 

Thoughts?

• Brohoof 7

23 minutes ago, Courageous Thunder Dash said:

Just like the G4 movie, we must look deep into the G5 movie. A few hours ago, I saw a thread floating around asking about the villain of the movie. At first, I thought it was going to be Sprout's mom and Sprout himself. However, this was something much bigger and even deeper...

Ladies and Gentlemen, Fillies and Gentlecolts, I present to you...the villain of the G5 movie...

Reveal hidden contents

Fear itself

You see, somewhere along the way, there was something that grew from a seed...a seed of bitterness, jealousy and envy. Every species of pony has its specialty, and that's where the struggle to embrace the differences came into play. 

Essentially, it was a mental battle, a battle to overcome the fear of differences and standing for what you believe. At the moment Izzy showed Sunny her childhood letter, the barriers started to crack. 

Meanwhile, Sprout was overcome by fear as displayed in the angry song, where that fear started to morph into hate and envy. 

The biggest reason why Sunny became a princess was because she overcame all the odds and shoved fear aside. She knew that the only way to restore magic was to reunite the three species using the magic of friendship. 

And there you have it, the G5 movie villain explained. 

Thoughts?

That's an interesting possibility.

This reminds me of what was said regarding the Great Depression: "We have nothing to fear but fear itself." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

I do agree with the OP to a certain extent, but I think that fear isn't necessarily the villain, as the term "villain" pertains to a character rather than an emotion that a character(s) portrays. That isn't to say that fear doesn't play an important part in the movie though. Also, I think that there were various antagonists in the movie, such as Sprout and Queen Haven, which would make up for the lack of a main villain.

Regardless, you have a very good analysis of the movie and the key role that fear plays in it.

• Brohoof 4

I'd say that's likely. Sprout was certainly the antagonist, but was weak in the end. I honestly think that was intentional as the barrier was no single pony; just their broken bond and the barriers they themselves have built up.

• Brohoof 3

Allow me to begin with a little anectote. I've been listening to creepypastas lately and they genneraly seem to have two outcomes: the protagonist overcomes their fear and gets rekt, or they respond to their natura fear reaction and dodge the bullet. They don't answer the knocking on the door; they don't accept the gift of an unnaturally-looking stranger; they don't follow their dead relativne into the woods. Fear allows us to survive. Only broke dregs of society usually accept jobs with a creepy set of rules.

Only a writer who plays the role of a benevolent creator deity can create the dogma where fear is unnatural in their saccharine utopija that hides beneath pesky prejudice. It is not that the protagonist has experienced the truth. They have absolutne faith that fear of a certain group is unwarranted, and all nonbelievers are made small-minded. How to Train Your Dragon portrayed the process much better. Hiccup stopped fearing dragons due to experience. He wasn't some rainbow-haired hipster. Perhaps the story would be more interesting if Sprout was the one who met Izzy and slowly befriended her. The lesson shuldn't be: all ponies good. It should be: Judge each pony individually. I mean, what if they met Cozy or Sombrero instead. Would it justify their way of thinking?

One should take precautions out of fear, but what we saw in G5 movie was the usual smooth brain overreaction for the sake of issue peddling. And on the other appendage, given their learned behaviour, all but Sprout would likely die in a creepypasta. Children shuldn't talk to stranger for a reason. Food for thought. 

• Brohoof 1

you know... fear needs to be planted...who planted the fear?

who is the villain? we still don't know who the villain is!

Izzy blamed that the unicorn might have something to do with stealing their magic.. why?.... cozy glow?

there was also a drawing of Sunny's dad of a corrupted heart.

I took a second look...and the corrupted heart look so ominous ....

@HereComesTom @Starforce @EpicEnergy @Courageous Thunder Dash

Technically fear is not a bad thing on its own since without being able to feel fear we could end up doing something that could get us killed. Pixar's Inside Out taught me that. It's too much of a negative emotion that makes it a bad thing. Heck, feeling nothing but joy all the time is also detrimental to one's mental health. A little fear helps us be cautious but too much fear would make us paranoid

20 hours ago, Kujamih said:

there was also a drawing of Sunny's dad of a corrupted heart.

I took a second look...and the corrupted heart look so ominous ....

Okay seriously where's your proof that it's supposed to be a corrupt heart?

• Brohoof 1

What we saw in the movie was more akin to social media hivemind and knee-jerk reactions. The only reason it is an issue is because everyone has the mentality of a five-years-old.

Spoiler

I almost found it was interesting when I thought that Sprout's mom was profiting from the fear and that Queen Haven (someone took my commentary on the G4 princesses being more celebrities than rulers and made it worse) used the whole flying thing for status in reality. But I suppose they couldn't come up with an analogous situation with the unicorns and dropped the whole thing only to forget it. Or maybe I just had put too much credit in the writers.

EDIT: You know what? I'm being pedantic here. I'm not wrong, and I do thing that they could have done better, but it is not wrong to say that fear was the problem.

Edited by Metemponychosis
Thought some more.
  • Brohoof 1

27 minutes ago, Metemponychosis said:

What we saw in the movie was more akin to social media hivemind and knee-jerk reactions. The only reason it is an issue is because everyone has the mentality of a five-years-old.

Hide contents

I almost found it was interesting when I thought that Sprout's mom was profiting from the fear and that Queen Haven (someone took my commentary on the G4 princesses being more celebrities than rulers and made it worse) used the whole flying thing for status in reality. But I suppose they couldn't come up with an analogous situation with the unicorns and dropped the whole thing only to forget it. Or maybe I just had put too much credit in the writers.

but who told those five year olds!? some idiot planted that in their mind.... I say it's discord!! :laugh:

54 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

Okay seriously where's your proof that it's supposed to be a corrupt heart?

IMG_20210926_031110.jpg.18925481251e907243fecd8350f43464.jpg

it has dark oozing thing coming out of it.... pretty much a 1o 1 basics of how to make things ominous creepy and evil.

or maybe those 3 combined together protects us from the darkness that wants to crawl inside our hearts...hmmm...

still there is darkness. showing there is a villain out... and the darkness was able to creep inside the ponies heart!... reason why we have the movie....

6 hours ago, Toastypk said:

I gotta add, that motto, "When we're scared, we're prepared!" Just evoked all sorts of wrong.

Indeed. That motto has wrong written all over it. When fear comes in, we must look past it to get to the goal. That’s what Sunny showed. Of course it was a grind. Of course things were hopeless, but the satisfaction comes from realizing that things are bigger than what you think and rallying up others to help you overcome. 

• Brohoof 1

I never really saw Sprout as "the villain" of the movie. He only becomes "the villain" out of petty jealousy for Hitch and to impress his mother. His mother was the one who encouraged him to become the way he was. Plus, going too far with controlling every pony with fear would never have worked if they weren't already controlled by fear in the first place. So yes, fear is indeed the real antagonist of the movie. 

1 minute ago, CloudMistDragon said:

I never really saw Sprout as "the villain" of the movie. He only becomes "the villain" out of petty jealousy for Hitch and to impress his mother. His mother was the one who encouraged him to become the way he was. Plus, going too far with controlling every pony with fear would never have worked if they weren't already controlled by fear in the first place. So yes, fear is indeed the real antagonist of the movie. 

To me Sprout was more of a victim. It seems that everyone was a a victim of that fear. I expected that their leaders would be using that fear to their own benefit because it seems too naïve of all of them to simply believe 'their own lies', if you will. But I guess that the real villains were the ponies that let the whole thing start. Long ago.

• Brohoof 1