Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Where does the movie rank among the other MLP movies?

Denim&Venöm

Easily the best, though if I'm being honest both the 86 and the 2017 aren't exactly high bars to pass, the first was kind of a bad, glorified episode while the 2017 movie was a by the numbers, average movie and a glorified premiere/finale(btw I do like the movie). Honestly the only real competition imo was Rainbow Rocks given it was actually kind of a game changer, it had to do a lot more do win people over(which I think it did since Sunset and the Dazzlings wound up being fan favorites)

• Brohoof 2

Well, if we're just considering FiM films, G5 knowns both 2017 and Rainbow Road out of the park. As for EqG well...harder to say. I considered Friendship Games to be the best followed closely by Rainbow Rocks, but if I am being honest I still prefer G5 over them as well.

That said I definitely need to rewatch ANG for it to properly sink in.

• Brohoof 1

To me, My Little Pony: The (2017) Movie is as good as it gets. I loved that movie so much I can’t describe it. So it takes the top spot far ahead of the others.

This new G5 movie wasn’t bad, but it’s really hard to compare with the EqG movies because the latter still has the classic G4 personalities, even if they are in a human form alternate universe. On one hand hoof, the EqGs, as much as I liked them for the aforementioned reason, fail to live up to standard for the very reason that they’re not ponies, but what I consider a pretty cheap and obvious attempt for Hasbro to market a line of human spin-off toys. That being said, they’re still decent movies on their own two legs. G5, if I put aside all prejudice for the worlds of G4, was a nice movie on its own merits, so I’m going to rank it as roughly equal to the EqGs, but not the 2017 MLP movie.

Taking the G1 into consideration, I liked that early stuff quite a bit; they had more teeth than I expected when I first started watching them. Not enough to rank them above the modern movies, but solid. So my rankings (in general order) are:

2017 MLP Movie,

G5/EqG, 

G1.

• Brohoof 2

Definitely in the top two. None of the film's songs have the power to beat "Open Up Your Eyes" from 2017 but the film overall is fresh and intelligent and fun and a terrific opening into the world of G5.

• Brohoof 1

Shockingly, it just might be better than the theatrical G4 film. That may have something to do with how we all underestimated "the little pony that could" thanks to the movie's marketing encouraging skepticism, but the movie, love it or hate it, was the perfect prelude for the new generation. A clean, fun exposé of everything we needed to know about the new world and new characters, it was doing its best to be just that, and that's why it worked. :coco:

• Brohoof 1

I'd have to say that the 2017 one is above this one as watching it again, the g5 one just feels rushed, more rushed than the standard rushed of the others.

Its been a while since I've seen the others so I'd have to watch them again. 

• Brohoof 3

It's definitely better than all the EQG movies and the G1 movie for me, but it is a lot closer when compared to the 2017 movie. Both movies I'd consider okay, mid-tier movies. They definitely have some issues, but are fun enough to make them worth watching. I think for now though, I'd say the G5 is bit better, because it overall had a more fun feel to it. Given time and rewatches, this opinion could change though, this is just how I feel having just watched the G5 movie for the first time.

Compared to the MLP the Movie 2017? That's tough. I say the G5 movie was better because the voice actors made it better. But in share animation quality and colors, MLP the Movie 2017 was far better.

But the cheeks on the ponies matters the most. And they actually has less cheeks in the G5 movie, so yay :yay: G5 movie is better.

Also, Michael McKean could have voiced all the ponies in G5, and I still would consider it better than the G4's movie :wacko:

• Brohoof 1

I do prefer the later Equestria Girls movies because of my preferences but the G5 movie is definitely better than all of the pony themed MLP movies.

• Brohoof 2

Honestly,

I would rank "My Little Pony: A New Generation" over MLP 2017/Roadtrip and under the Equestria Girls movies due to personal bias/favoritism. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

It's my second favourite. I think I like Rainbow Rocks just a tad more, but I still loved this movie a lot.

My current ranking is Rainbow Rocks > G5 > Friendship Games > MLP (2017) > Legend of Everfree > Equestria Girls.

Edited by Cash_In
  • Brohoof 2

The only movie better than it was Rainbow Rocks, and that's because its songs were a thousand times better than anything in MLP before or since

It's better than the 2017 movie simply because that movie was made late into the series run and there were so many things that had to happen to make the villains work despite the Main 6 having Discord and Starlight on their side, but whoops, they were strangely absent for no reason...

It's a good intro to the world and characters and I'm curious to see where they'll go from here

Honestly the 2017 film and the 2021 one both have their pros and cons with the general story being a slightly weak link in both, but wind up being very good despite it. I like the dark gritty large-scale exploration atmosphere and feel of the G4 film but the modern vs magic Onward-like vibes of the G5 one too. It's hard to directly compare them. I was disappointed by the G4 movie at first in theaters but came to like it a lot more after a few watches while this one I adored right away. Will give the G5 film the edge but will have to wait for the initial excitement to wear off to know for sure.

Even harder to compare to older gen and spinoff films... the G1 films are cool and the G3 ones, some are pretty good, but don't quite compare to the newer ones. I dislike EqG so won't even get into those.

Hmmm...well, it's definitely up there.  It's better than Rainbow Roadtrip, but that's largely because that film feels more like a special, extended episode than a movie with full production values.  It's definitely better than the G1 movie, and I don't think I need to elaborate on that.  The G3 movies are just cringe and I definitely don't think I need to elaborate on that.  The FiM movie had to hold back on its lore and characters to be more welcoming to newer audiences, whereas this new movie doesn't feel as though it was held back in any way, by virtue of it being able to build its own lore from the ashes of the old.  Both movies feel a little rushed in places. 

I think the FiM movie still wins out though.  Characters aside (as the FiM does have the unfair advantage of starring a familiar cast), it has cat people, sky pirates, Hippogriffs, a Unicorn with a broken horn, a magical villain, and a bigger variety of locations.  ANG just doesn't have that stuff.  Sure, it works with what it has, and as a result is able to tell a more focused and grounded story, and I do appreciate that.  I do also like the idea of a more modernized setting.  However, the world of ANG just doesn't feel as vibrant or exciting.  Still, when talking strictly about MLP films, I did enjoy it enough to consider it my second favourite Pony movie.  

When the EQG films are added into the mix though, things get more complicated, as I think I like some of those better too, especially Rainbow Rocks.  In fact, if I want a modern world fix, EQG works just fine for that.  At least ANG is many, many times better than MLP Tales.  Good writing and variety of races and locations helps.

At the end of the day...I think ANG does what it needed to do.  It references the Equestria we're all familiar with just enough, but otherwise establishes its own world, lore and characters.  It's definitely far better than the cringe I was anticipating.  That's not to say there aren't cringe moments, but they're mostly entertaining cringe.  I think it's a good movie.  I think a huge part of what kept me watching was my fondness for the previous generation though.  Still, props to this new movie for doing the impossible by making me like a MLP product that isn't FiM or EQG related as much as I do this film.  I respect it.

• Brohoof 3