Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why was Pipp not as Important?

eventyraren

I feel that Pipp was the one That was the least important in the movie. Zipp was the one that wanted to change everything and even Hitch at least tried to stop the robot. But Pipp did not really do anything. 

The fact she was one of the first 3 character to be revealed and still not mean anything. 

Edited by eventyraren
Fixed spellings in the title (etc)
  • Brohoof 4

Not every character can have exactly the right amount of screen time. I think they dedicated her screen time to her song, and the end credits.

It didn't look like she did much, but she was there (I think... I mostly saw her because her wings look so fluffy :twismile:)

• Brohoof 5

8 minutes ago, Splashee said:

Not every character can have exactly the right amount of screen time. I think they dedicated her screen time to her song, and the end credits.

It didn't look like she did much, but she was there (I think... I mostly saw her because her wings look so fluffy :twismile:)

Specially adorable when she flaps them :wub:

• Brohoof 2

• The title was changed to Why was Pipp not as Important?

Considering she was the last character of the mane five to be introduced, it would make sense that she wouldn't accomplish as much as the others in the movie. Hitch was introduced from the start of the movie, so comparing his importance to Pipp's isn't really fair.

Also, Pipp did in fact play an important role in the movie because without her, Sunny wouldn't have been able to retrieve one piece of the jewel as it would have been either on the floor in the performance room or in the hooves of somepony else such as a guard. Additionally, Pipp assisted in putting together the jewel in the lighthouse during Sprout's attack, so she was helping in that area as well. Perhaps she didn't accomplish as much as Zipp or Hitch, but she still played an important role and that's what matters.

1 hour ago, eventyraren said:

The fact she was one of the first 3 character to be reviled and still not mean anything. 

I'm a little confused, who were the other two characters that were reviled and how were those three characters reviled?

Also, reviling a character is a morally reprehensible action due to its nature, and I would question the morality of whoever reviles anything or anyone. There is a fine line between criticism and to criticize by insults and abuse.

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, EpicEnergy said:

I'm a little confused, who were the other two characters that were reviled and how were those three characters reviled?

Also, reviling a character is a morally reprehensible action due to its nature, and I would question the morality of whoever reviles anything or anyone. There is a fine line between criticism and to criticize by insults and abuse.

I think they meant "revealed"

• Brohoof 2

Pipp is not a rebel like Sunny, Izzy, and Zipp and is comfortable with the status quo, unlike Hitch who enforces the status quo. The main character is optimistic opposition to the status quo, so her friend enforces it while holding ideals of justified cynicism to balance things out. Even if he was introduced later, he'd still be too crucial to the story. Pipp, before joining the group, just wants to be loved by her fans. It's not just her late inclusion to the group, but lack of strong personal motive that makes her less salient. 

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, I definitely noticed this as well. Throughout all the advertising, it was made out that she would have a very prominent role in the movie and that she would likely have the third most screen-time behind Sunny and Izzy, but in the movie, she actually has the least amount of screen-time. She doesn't really contribute much to the main group, and she lacks any real character development. Her personality seems very bland and one dimensional, with her only real "motivation" being getting her fans back. She also goes from sulking and acting bratty to being happy and friendly very quickly and without much reason. Throughout the movie it seemed like she merely just existed, and that her main purpose in the movie was to just sell toys and not to actually be a very interesting or impactful character.

So as for why this is, I big part could be due to the movie's short runtime, but it could also just be that the writers didn't want to take a little bit of time to develop her a bit. I'm really hoping that in the subsequent special and series she is actually developed as a character, because as of now she unfortunately just seems very pointless and uninteresting.

• Brohoof 3

Pipp's lack of overall importance is one of the reasons I think there was a bit of cut content in the movie. Zipp didn't have that much either to be fair, but Pipp was the most noticeable. The G4 movie had exact same issue with Fluttershy and Applejack, but that didn't bother me as much because those were already established characters.

• Brohoof 1

She did bring the Crystal back to them so that was her main contribution. But yeah, I feel bad for her in a way because although she's gorgeous, she wasn't given enough to do. Just be a social media pony. (I can't believe I just said those words.) :sealed:

• Brohoof 2

She motivated Sunny to beat Alphabittle and retrieved the Pegasi Crystal even though she was (very justifiably) angry at Zipp because she knew it must be important for something.

I don't get where this idea that she contributed or did nothing comes from.

• Brohoof 1

I feel like she was important to the movie with her big song and providing the means to get the Pegasus crystal, but once she joined the group and on the run, she wasn't as important and was sort another one of the group.

One episode or movie can only fit so many plot points, and this film was already packed.

Pipp represents a link to the attitude that most ponies had: Complacency and being okay with how things were. She had everything she wanted. That had to be taken from her before she’d assist in changing things.

On 2021-09-25 at 11:25 PM, Reality Check said:

Nah, I think Pipp is the least favorite among the mane 5. (A bit ironic considering she's meant to be a social media star) Though that's not to say I hate her, or Zipp for that matter. In fact, I think they're pretty cool characters

Though I think the lack of favoritism might be because they got the least amount of screen time out of the mane 5 in the movie, cause I've noticed that their interactions with the others is somewhat scarce, Pipp especially

I already explained why I think Pipp is not as important in the movie in another post. She didn't have any major interactions with the others (Zephyr Heights barely counts), almost giving her the same vibe as a background pony would

I also think that it's because the way she got along with the rest of the mane 5 was a bit unnatural, how she was quickly ok with joining them after they destroyed her fame. It also doesn't help the fact that excluding her sister, they were ponies who should be considered as strangers to Pipp

• Brohoof 1

I think Pip was important because she showed how loss of power and status effected her and her sister. She had some emotionally powerful scenes with Zipp and I felt she had more depth in her bond with Zipp just from facial expressions than I initially thought. Pip contributed to finding the jewels and putting them together. She just needs more development. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think Pipp, as a character, has potential but they didn't really give her much character outside of the fact that she was deemed a celebrity pony. Hopefully moving forward they will flush out her character more and give her more depth. 

• Brohoof 1

That's a good question., it baffles me a little. I'm also gonna agree with some other people in here that Zipp was also not very focused on. Perhaps they'll get more scenes and hopefully their own episodes when the series starts. Maybe it's kind of like in G4 how Twilight was the main focus of the series, with the addition of the rest of the mane 6 getting their own episodes. Sunny seems to be the main focus character in G5 so far, it makes sense. 

• Brohoof 1

I get the feeling that Zipp and Pipp were made preemptively for the upcoming G5 series; their role in A New Generation... hardly existed. The story would have worked just fine with minor alterations if you just kept Hitch, Sunny, and Izzy. Not to say Zipp and Pipp are necessarily bad, even if they feel like underbaked Dash and Rarity, but I imagine their role will be considerably more important in the upcoming G5 series.

On 2021-09-25 at 11:32 AM, ExplosionMare said:

Personally I feel like Zipp didn’t get much screen time either since she was relatively quiet during most of the film. It’s an important part of her personality but it also gives her less of a chance to do anything

I agree.

After Pipp had her big song she was basically like Applejack and Flutterdshy in the Gen 4 movie where they had nothing to do and this upset

me because I was looking forward to delving deeper and learning more about her character.

That being said, you have to leave the audience wanting more. 

2 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

That's a good question., it baffles me a little. I'm also gonna agree with some other people in here that Zipp was also not very focused on. Perhaps they'll get more scenes and hopefully their own episodes when the series starts. Maybe it's kind of like in G4 how Twilight was the main focus of the series, with the addition of the rest of the mane 6 getting their own episodes. Sunny seems to be the main focus character in G5 so far, it makes sense. 

Plus, you can't expect them to flesh out everypony right away or there wouldn't be a need for the new Gen 5 series. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 2