Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who would win in a chess match? A mind reader or someone who can see the future?

Denim&Venöm

Who would win in a chess match? A mind reader or someone who can see the future?  

13 users have voted

1. 1. Who would win in a chess match? A mind reader or someone who can see the future?

• Mind Reader
    • Future Seer

Future seer. However it depends on a lot how skilled the opponent is. If he's Grand Master level player the mind reader might have a great chance because they (GMs) tend to think 10 moves ahead. Against the average Joe the future seer because average players only think from 1 to 3 moves ahead while the future seer can see the aftermath of many possible scenarios against them

Well it would come down to who is actually better at chess 

Both would be able to tell the others moves (Granted you mean the MR can pick and choose the thoughts they reads and the seer can specify what future they want to see) but it becomes a game of who can get into a better board position. Just because you k n o w what move is gonna be played doesn't mean you know what they're building up to. Or how versatile and adaptive your opponent is 

You can literally lose chess games in two moves 

So yeah whoever is smarter will win. 

• Brohoof 1

Depends on a lot of things. 

Are the clairvoyant and mind reader playing against each other or are they playing against an opponent without these sorts of powers?

If playing against each other, I can only see this comparison as fair if the mind reader can't simply copy the clairvoyant's ability to see the future by reading their mind.

If playing against regular opponents without powers, presumably we're talking about players at a much higher skill level in order to balance out the advantage of having future sight or the ability to read minds.

And finally, how good are either of these people at chess?

Ultimately I think the clairvoyant wins because being able to plan ahead is an invaluable skill in chess, whereas mind reading would only offer comparatively short term benefits.

• Brohoof 1

I'll go with the mind reader, as someone who can see the future might only be able to see the outcome, not the choices made to determine that outcome, and because the future itself could be subject to change depending on whether free will exists.

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason, I think the future seer would win. :dash: They could easily avoid the moves that they see would lead to their loss. The mind reader could still be fooled if the future seer only decided their next move after they did theirs. Confusing...

• Brohoof 1

• 10 months later...