Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I am conflicted about the new generation.

Star Petal

Moments ago, Star Petal said:

You guys think they will keep the "BING BONG" thing going or is this a one time joke for the movie and then 100% of all the unicorns will never do that again whenever someone mentions magic or mayo?

the show maybe.... but the fandom.... depends on the fandom....

• Brohoof 1

I think my biggest GRIPE about the movie is that they made magic come back. I REALLY do not think they should had done that in this movie. Had this been a stand alone movie it would be great, but they need to retcon the ending so that magic didn't come back. I think a whole "mystery" and a "season long adventure' would had been a much better way to resolve this. Maybe all 3 pieces coming together could had revealed a symbol or a set of, I dunno, a clue of some kind that would had given the ponies something to search for together. Maybe they had to uncover what happened in the past that led to them losing their magic in the first place that could had been how they gotten their magic back and they resolve this at the end of season 1. Pegasi flying again would had been ok, but not both of pegasi flying and unicorns getting magic again. If the "superstition" thing doesn't remain, it would be too jarring of a change imo. It would be like all of them forgetting their culture completely which the bing bong thing basically is a part of as well as the pegasi being use to not flying. If it's been thousands of years since any pony flew than actually flying would be a scary thing for many of them which I hope they explore. Unless a villain of some kind or lingering prejudices are around, I don't see where else they can go with this atm since everything is resolved completely. All the leaders are in agreement they are wrong, magic is back, evil doesn't exist, the end? hmm....I dunno. Seems like making magic come back entirely would had been a great season 1 ender to me. Or maybe season 1 will be the first clues they will get to them knowing what actually happened in the past in the first place? Maybe we will start seeing the gaps of history between g4 and g5 and see what happened to twilight and their successors and what happened when the evil trio got out of their stone? 

Were they responsible for this and stellar or whoever took over after her was not prepared? Did the windigos destroy everything but died out themselves leaving the last surviving ponies of each race the only ones left and they blamed each other for the windegos return and destruction which is how thousands of years after the ice age we have today?

Well it’s not fair to say you failed because something you didn’t want happened after you died (?).

Twilight might not be dead, but if she is gone, then the people that came after her are responsible for what happens next.

Twilight had a lot of friends and students, and even if she disappeared, they would have carried on for a while after her. But time erodes all things, and those students would eventually pass on too.

Some generation dropped the ball, but it probably wasn’t Twilight.

• Brohoof 1

I just watched the movie and I can say one thing for sure; the movie did make G4 references but G5 is not the same Equestria as G4.

Might make an own topic for my opinion but to put it short; it's impossible that they know how the mane 6 were looking like when we didn't see any ruines at all. Not to mention the biology of the three races. Just remember the Cakes and their two foals; two earth ponies had a unicorn and a pegasus child

So yeah, the movie was good but to me, it's not the sequel of G4

• 3 weeks later...
On 2021-09-27 at 5:01 AM, Star Petal said:

On one hand the movie was amazing, but on the other hand, this has SERIOUS implications for G4. The story basically means that everything twilight sparkle and her friends did, the royalty, Discord, the school of friendship and all the adventures they went on were basically meaningless. Twilight Sparkle ultimately failed and I don't know how to feel about that. 

There is no real evidence that Twilight Sparkle failed though. The world is ever changing, and Twilight can't live forever. During Twilight's time, there were probably a whole lot of adventures and problems that were fixed along the way. Even her disciples could have succeeded with the Friendship message for years after Twilight was gone, and still the world could easily end up like it did in G5.
I think Sunny managed to get all the ponies back together and all working out in the end, thus getting back that G4 status quo.
Twilight was a princess with wings and all in Season 4 of FIM, and Tirek still almost destroyed Equestria, leaving SERIOUS implications for G4. It was also dealt with, and all is good :)

If we are talking about the whole Friendship message, and the Magic part of it, we will get into a situation where even Hasbro can't go. It is a trademark that was removed even for Equestria Girls (still counting as G4) and Pony Life, and a lot of the toys.

• 3 months later...
On 2021-09-26 at 11:13 PM, FearTheBelle said:

The time of the Mane Six is so long ago that it is considered ancient. Everything in and about a society can change given that much time. The world being broken in G5 doesn't mean the Mane Six failed or that what they did was meaningless. They made the world better in their time, and (presumably) for at least a few generations after. That's far more than most will ever accomplish.

I think this is a good way to look at it for MLP G5. Thanks for the answer.

I don't like the G4 implication in G5, I feel like it might make it difficult to create new stories in the lore, because everything has to fit with the previous generation tradition, at the risk of creating plot holes.