Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming What N64 and Sega Genesis games would you like to see on Nintendo Switch Online

Will Guide
Message added by Splashee,

The OP wishes this topic to be about the games coming to this new update, and not here to complain about the prices.
Please stay on topic.

EDIT: I want to remind everyone that my topic here is about the games coming to this new update not here to complain about the prices. If you want to discuss about the high price make your own topic and talk about it there. Please keep on topic.

This is the news of the Nintendo Direct that made my jaw hit the floor.

Nintendo 64 game and a selection of Sega Genesis games are coming to the Nintendo switch online. What games are you looking forward to playing and what games do you hope to see in the future?

Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack - Nintendo 64 games at launch 

Super Mario 64

Mario Kart 64

Starfox 64

Yoshi's Story

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

WinBack

Mario Tennis

Dr Mario 64

Sin and Punishment 

Sega Genesis games at launch 

Castlevania Bloodlines

Contra Hard Corps

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine

Ecco the Dolphin

Golden Axe

Gunstar Heroes

Musha

Phantasy Star 4

Ristar

Shining Force

Shinobi 3

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Streets of Rage 2

Strider 

N64 to be added in the future

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (my all time favorite)

Mario Golf

Pokemon Snap

F-Zero X

Kirby 64 the Crystal Shards

Paper Mario

Banjo Kazooie (I never thought I would see this game on a Nintendo system again)

Edited by Will Gazzzze
Clearer point of topic

They're coming for an undisclosed higher price. What a ripoff. NSO has always been a ripoff. They finally add some titles of substance to the service and now they charge more. SMH.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Envy said:

They're coming for an undisclosed higher price. What a ripoff. NSO has always been a ripoff. They finally add some titles of substance to the service and now they charge more. SMH.

Still freaking cheaper than what Sony and Microsoft charge for their online services on a yearly basis. Besides how else are they going to pay to run the service?

4 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

Still freaking cheaper than what Sony and Microsoft charge for their online services on a yearly basis. Besides how else are they going to pay to run the service?

It's cheaper than Sony and Microsoft because it is vastly inferior to their online services. Either way, it's a ripoff to have to pay for it, no matter which console. But everything these days is all about "subscription" services. Excuse me, but aren't we all already paying for an internet connection? If you ask me, paying for NSO is paying for the classic games, as there's nothing else there that we should even remotely be paying for.

What server exactly do they have to pay for? Nintendo's online is run with peer 2 peer.

• Brohoof 2

Out of all the game that we start with I know that Dr Mario 64 was actually one of the few games that never got released on the Virtual Console not on the Wii and not on the Wii U. I only played that game once as a rental from Blockbuster back in 2001 on the original N64. but I've always wanted to be able to play it since I never really got a chance again.

Especially because of the background music known as COUGH and SNEEZE which, as far as I know, were reduced to songs that very rarely are shown, if at all in Dr Mario games after 64.

Cough in English

Sneeze in English

Was genuinely surprised by the N64 games being announced, I thought we weren't getting those for another 6 years, given Nintendo being glacially slow at adding anything worthwhile to the Switch. However, them jacking up the price for it all is utter nonsense. We need to remember that this is all just emulation and nothing more. $20 a year I was able to live with even if the Online service is trash, but now I fear they are going to double that, so $40. $40 a year for a service that doesn't even have the most basic of features is something I doubt I will support. I can't even send a simple message to a friend online in the year 2021 and they expect us to pay more for the service for some extra emulators? Not to mention I already have the Genesis collection and that is a far better deal for my Genesis fix. Nintendo Switch Online is simply a very bad online service as a whole. As in, the actual playing online portion of it is terrible. If we compare say Xbox to Nintendo, I have Knockout City on both Xbox Series X and Switch. The difference between the two is a galaxy apart. The Switch version often almost feels unplayable due to the terrible online. I dread to think how Splitgate will perform when they release it on there. At least that won't require NSO.

Don't get me wrong, I do seriously love that N64 titles are finally being added, but I just can't help feeling a bit jaded considering Nintendo's track record. Plus Nintendo will likely add new games at a painfully slow rate, that's just how they do. In the end, bringing back the Virtual Console still would have been far more preferable to me. 

Now, as for what I would like them to add? Some underappreciated classics like Tetrisphere would be cool to see. Any of the Tony Hawk games though we know that would never happen, yay Activision. Same reason I fear Goldeneye will not make it, but one can hope. Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 would be dope. And just to seriously f**k with some heads; SUPERMAN. Ah yes, that would break the internet for sure. 

On 2021-10-04 at 10:43 AM, Kyoshi said:

And just to seriously f**k with some heads; SUPERMAN. Ah yes, that would break the internet for sure. 

I feel like Superman 64 is one of those legendarily bad games everyone should experience

• Brohoof 2

21 hours ago, ZiggWheelsManning said:

And a very loved Sonic game that includes our favorite chuckling red Echidna is not on that list:bea:  

You do know that they'll be more games in the future

• 2 weeks later...

So they talk a little bit about the Nintendo 64 and Sega Genesis games here.

And honestly I know a lot of people will complain about the price hike but it will be worth it in my eyes.

$50. That's actually more than my previous predication and I thought my previous guess was on the high end. Definitely not bothering now. I am not giving Nintendo $50 for some emulators and one of the worst online services of all time. Nintendo is one of the dumbest companies on the planet. If they would have just carried over the Virtual Console, that would have been perfectly fine. I would buy the games I want and get to keep them, boom, simple. Nintendo instead shoots themselves in the foot and then asks us to make up the costs. No thanks. I let my Switch Online membership expire a long time ago and I will not be renewing until they get a f***ing clue.

Edited by Kyoshi

Actually I was told that the expansion pass has a discount so i'll brief in. According to my friend, he said that if you have nintendo switch online, it's already discounted otherwise it's $50 a year. Adding to this comment, someone in my friend's discord server says that it varies depending on how much left on your current plan. the higher the time, the bigger the discount.

Now on to the topic at hand and as of games go, They should really add Super Smash bros 64 into this.

On 2021-10-16 at 9:39 AM, KirbyFluttershy said:

Actually I was told that the expansion pass has a discount so i'll brief in. According to my friend, he said that if you have nintendo switch online, it's already discounted otherwise it's $50 a year. Adding to this comment, someone in my friend's discord server says that it varies depending on how much left on your current plan. the higher the time, the bigger the discount.

Now on to the topic at hand and as of games go, They should really add Super Smash bros 64 into this.

Yeah I came to the same conclusion with the first paragraph. 

Also the original Super Smash Brothers 64 can feel a little bare bones compared to the later stuff

2B94E7FF-5F46-4A05-B1F3-58F59E554A38.thumb.jpeg.39169b7c462310f9c612fafc2667937b.jpeg

Currently where I’m at 

People are saying that the Genesis is the reason for the huge price increase and if that’s true then they shouldn’t have even bothered since there’s already a Genesis collection on the Switch and the a few other games are available in other ways(like Strider and Bloodlines). I was willing to take the hit had the price bump had just been another $10 but $50 is just way too much, especially given Nintendo’s recent track record of drip feed the games only for them to be real shitty, no-name titles. Now if they actually manage to get Goldeneye or Star Wars Rogue Squadron on here I might bite, currently my dumb ass is willing and desperate enough to pay that much to play those games again 

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 2

@Megas

Have to remember that part of the price pays for the Animal Crossing happy home Paradise game which on its own is $25 and enough material to be its own game.

If they just offered AC:HHP separately and just made the new price roughly $10 more than the original pack, since the $10 would pay for both the N64 and the Sega Genesis game, that would be fair enough

To get back on topic: two obscured  N64 games I would like to see come to the system would be Glover where you control an anthromorphized glove to move a crystal transformed into a ball across levels in a platform puzzle game and Space Station Silicon Valley where you can control little microchip taking possession of several different robotic animals with different abilities. I only rented those games from the heyday of Blockbuster but never actually owned them

On 2021-10-20 at 7:34 AM, Megas said:

People are saying that the Genesis is the reason for the huge price increase and if that’s true then they shouldn’t have even bothered since there’s already a Genesis collection on the Switch and the a few other games are available in other ways(like Strider and Bloodlines). 

Fun fact. By next year, there will be four different ways of playing Sonic 2 on Switch. So yeah, it feels a bit redundant. I think it would've been a lot more interesting if they did Dreamcast or even Saturn games instead.

Anyways, the price is a bit too steep for me. There are a few N64 games that I'd love to play on the go, but oh well.

• Brohoof 2

6 minutes ago, Will Gazzzze said:

Okay I'll bite. Which 4 ways will it be done?

First is Switch Online, as we know.

Second is that it's available on the eShop as part of that Sega Ages series.

Third is on the Sega Genesis Classics collection.

Fourth is on the Sonic Origins collection that's coming out on next year. (To be fair, all they said about it that it was releasing on "latest platforms" but I feel that it's a safe bet that it'll be coming out on Switch.

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Cash_In said:

Third is on the Sega Genesis Classics collection.

I have that on Switch but it's lacking Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic & Knuckles

On 2021-10-20 at 7:29 PM, Will Gazzzze said:

If they just offered AC:HHP separately and just made the new price roughly $10 more than the original pack, since the $10 would pay for both the N64 and the Sega Genesis game, that would be fair enough

If Nintendo were smart, this is exactly what they would do, but modern Nintendo is clearly not smart at all. It just feels like they are going out of there way to make everything as irritating as possible with the Switch. To me, Nintendo has 3 main options here: 1. Make the online service actually good (won't happen). 2. Bring back the Virtual Console (won't happen) or 3. Lower the price of this expansion dealio, which I am almost certain won't happen either, because the Switch era for Nintendo is an era of arrogance.