Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Raya and the Last Dragon similarities

Plonkett

Is anyone else reminded about Disney's Raya and the Last Dragon after watching MLP: ANG? Like Raya, it has minimal worldbuilding, a quest to rebalance the world's friendship, and a non-villain antagonist.

There are plenty of other stories that follow a similar pattern. Literally one of the seven basic plots called The Quest

Hero learns of a great MacGuffin that he desperately wants or needs to find, and sets out to find it, often with companions.

18 minutes ago, Kujamih said:

while raya ..... no one cares actually..... that's what really killed it.

There's an entire Dragon server that would beg to differ. Just because something doesn't have a television series doesn't make it a bad movie nor something that nobody cares for

1 hour ago, Will Guide said:

There's an entire Dragon server that would beg to differ. Just because something doesn't have a television series doesn't make it a bad movie nor something that nobody cares for

I never said that not having a television series makes anything a bad movie and what not.... I just pointed out that mlp got away with it and not raya.

and a dragon server... sure? the majority can prove me wrong I guess?

when I meant "no one" I just meant the majority. not EVERYONE. heck I thought I was being kind because I know a LOT of people hated raya. the only reason I learned about raya was through hate comments and what not.

9 minutes ago, Kujamih said:

I never said that not having a television series makes anything a bad movie and what not.... I just pointed out that mlp got away with it and not raya.

and a dragon server... sure? the majority can prove me wrong I guess?

when I meant "no one" I just meant the majority. not EVERYONE. heck I thought I was being kind because I know a LOT of people hated raya. the only reason I learned about raya was through hate comments and what not.

Fair enough

2 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

Raya sucks way more balls than ponies. That movie actually had a villain who was in the wrong but everyone pretended that there was no such thing.

The important thing is the villain learning that they were wrong and making things right again. That doesn't make Raya worse than ponies.

16 hours ago, Will Guide said:

The important thing is the villain learning that they were wrong and making things right again. That doesn't make Raya worse than ponies.

Naamari betrays Raya not once but twice, then has the gall to blame Raya for what happened. She never admits her mistakes. She doesn't want to face the fact that there is always a choice. And then they are all friends. Their anti-lesson is bucked up even by FIM standards.

54 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

Naamari betrays Raya not once but twice, then has the gall to blame Raya for what happened. She never admits her mistakes. She doesn't want to face the fact that there is always a choice. And then they are all friends. Their anti-lesson is bucked up even by FIM standards.

lol really? I haven't watched raya yet...due to the pay wall it has..

2 hours ago, Kujamih said:

They somehow came to the conclusion that blind trust is more important than observed behavior, which is also something G5 movie wanted to peddle but thankfully failed. I believe time constrictions are responsible for this blessing. Well, at least in FIM, Sprout doesn't get rewarded for his actions, and calms down when it becomes obvious that he's wrong. He may be a diet coke substitute for a villain, but at least he's not in the way. In Raya, one could easily point a finger and say: yup, that's a villain. But then Disney goes: Um, like, excuse me. Don't you know that everything is, like, relative and, like, there are no villains? Like, all humans are good. You just have to turn the other cheek, bigot.

Now, when it comes to worldbuilding, G5 has an advantage due to G4 already setting the stage. Remove that, and both movies have shallow worldbuilding that's only there to set the story and provide pretty environments. There's nothing else there, which is understandable, given the target audience.

So, yes, the movies have some similarities, but G5 does it better. That doesn't really say much about MLP writers. It just goes to show you how far Disney has fallen.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

They somehow came to the conclusion that blind trust is more important than observed behavior, which is also something G5 movie wanted to peddle but thankfully failed. I believe time constrictions are responsible for this blessing. Well, at least in FIM, Sprout doesn't get rewarded for his actions, and calms down when it becomes obvious that he's wrong. He may be a diet coke substitute for a villain, but at least he's not in the way. In Raya, one could easily point a finger and say: yup, that's a villain. But then Disney goes: Um, like, excuse me. Don't you know that everything is, like, relative and, like, there are no villains? Like, all humans are good. You just have to turn the other cheek, bigot.

Now, when it comes to worldbuilding, G5 has an advantage due to G4 already setting the stage. Remove that, and both movies have shallow worldbuilding that's only there to set the story and provide pretty environments. There's nothing else there, which is understandable, given the target audience.

So, yes, the movies have some similarities, but G5 does it better. That doesn't really say much about MLP writers. It just goes to show you how far Disney has fallen.

I think even without gen 4 it could still work I mean if you look at it on a newbie's perspective. the movie is still interesting.....no wait, I'm gonna try experimenting it with my friends who hasn't watch a single mlp just to be accurate.....

and plus I can tell already that mlp is better than raya due to the reactions it gotten already.

I also remembered that raya's trailer made me cringe.... it was the baby martial artist..... CCCCCRRRRRRIIIIIINNNNGGGGGEEEEE....

are they trying to compete with...boss baby?

1 hour ago, Kujamih said:

yeah but it was already too late... the fire nation already attacked....:yeahno:

What does that have to do with the Movie already out on Blu-ray? 

I still stand by my point that Raya film has its fans and that in Raya, the "villain" realizes they were wrong and start taking steps to making things right again.

1 hour ago, Will Guide said:

What does that have to do with the Movie already out on Blu-ray? 

I still stand by my point that Raya film has its fans and that in Raya, the "villain" realizes they were wrong and start taking steps to making things right again.

no I mean the haters already striked before Disney could make action.... welp that's a fail in their marketing strategy.

the haters have climed their pay wall and has already began spreading the hate! Disney was too late to release their blue rays...

Edited by Kujamih

17 hours ago, Kujamih said:

Then why are you suggesting it sucks. I haven't watched it either but i'm excited to watch

I heard a lot of good stuff about the movie.

The designs, the strong female protagonist who values friendship etc. I heard it had some weaknesses it story tho. 

It is probably not perfect but it seems like a decent film. I've seen people compare it to the wish dragon maybe just for dragons tho idk lol. 

Edited by Stardust

7 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Then why are you suggesting it sucks. I haven't watched it either but i'm excited to watch

I heard a lot of good stuff about the movie.

The designs, the strong female protagonist who values friendship etc. I heard it had some weaknesses it story tho. 

It is probably not perfect but it seems like a decent film. I've seen people compare it to the wish dragon maybe just for dragons tho idk lol. 

yeaup that's the sad reality about it... the haters got to me first..... and based on what they spoiled.... it sucks.... now I don't even want to waste money to find out if it's wrong or not..... u less it's on Netflix..... plus the trailer gave me cringe....

6 minutes ago, Kujamih said:

yeaup that's the sad reality about it... the haters got to me first..... and based on what they spoiled.... it sucks.... now I don't even want to waste money to find out if it's wrong or not..... u less it's on Netflix..... plus the trailer gave me cringe....

I mean thats fair there you don't need to watch all the movies or any xD if it costs especially

I haven't really encountered as much of the hate, just praise for the characters with a tiny bit of critique.

I just thought it tanked because of the lack of theatrical release and the really bad advertising.

But the review rating is comparable to Luca the other popular disney(actually pixar) movie which might be a tiny bit higher. I know you can't always trust critics as they can rate movies everyone hates highly sometimes and vice versa but I think it seemed fair enough.

Though I have seen a bit more fan art of luca, but there is some nice Raya and the dragon stuff too.

I got disney plus atm so I might as well watch it if I have the time lol probably better than new live version Mulan which got a lot more hate for many reasons 

• Brohoof 1