Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Best year to be a Brony/EQG fan?

Happydudey

Hey guys! Just wanted to see what you guys thought on this topic. 

As someone who joined the community in mid 2011 I have to say 2014 was easily the best year to be a fan of both series. On MLP's side we got the conclusion to season 4 (which was my favorite season and finale) and we also got Rainbow Rocks (favorite EQG movie or anything). Felt like we kept getting treat after treat in terms of content. I also remember the community content on youtube and art being top notch. Everything was so alive and well during that time, I hope we get to see it come alive like that again for Gen 5! :mlp_icwudt:

• Brohoof 2

• 7 months later...

I'd have to agree on 2013-14. That was sorta when everything peaked. We got a consistent schedule of the first four seasons, new directions taken in the show and it not being too late for somepony new to join. Though I'd also say 2014 was the year the decline started, as that marked the start of the great hiatus, the thing that really curbed the fandom's growth and made MLP more of a passing fad than passionate interest. 

• Brohoof 2

On 2021-09-30 at 2:34 PM, Happydudey said:

Hey guys! Just wanted to see what you guys thought on this topic. 

As someone who joined the community in mid 2011 I have to say 2014 was easily the best year to be a fan of both series. On MLP's side we got the conclusion to season 4 (which was my favorite season and finale) and we also got Rainbow Rocks (favorite EQG movie or anything). Felt like we kept getting treat after treat in terms of content. I also remember the community content on youtube and art being top notch. Everything was so alive and well during that time, I hope we get to see it come alive like that again for Gen 5! :mlp_icwudt:

35 minutes ago, Denim&Venöm said:

I'd have to agree on 2013-14. That was sorta when everything peaked. We got a consistent schedule of the first four seasons, new directions taken in the show and it not being too late for somepony new to join. Though I'd also say 2014 was the year the decline started, as that marked the start of the great hiatus, the thing that really curbed the fandom's growth and made MLP more of a passing fad than passionate interest. 

I agree with 2013-2014 because I joined the fandom the week that "Just For Sidekicks" aired so I wasn't as deep into the fandom as a lot of fans were.

Add to that the LONG hiatus between Season 3 to Season 4 and my hype was at it's absolute peak because I could finally be a part of the fandom

and experience things as were happening instead of just going by people's thoughts on past events. 

Plus Equestria Girls started around that time which, gave me something "of my own" to enjoy that hadn't been critiqued dozens of times beforehand. 

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, TheGleaner said:

I'd have to agree with the early years, judging by the pile of community made content from then.

I agree as well, the fandom was a lot more active and vibrant then. The fandom now is still good but it's much trickier to attract new fans nowadays.

• Brohoof 2

2017 for EQG, and 2012 for FIM.

EQG had a special called "Forgotten Friendship" in 2017, and it had a song in it called "Invisible", and that was mot even the good part about that special! :love:

MLP had all the crazy Bronies in 2012, and content.... A lot of "it is okay to like a TV show for little kids because we have taken over the internet!" videos, which were refreshing and bold to watch :squee:

• Brohoof 3

It's always the current year in my opinion, because that's the point where there is the largest amount of content. For me it's true, since I'm not interested in missable things such as conventions. A show doesn't need to be new for me either. But the number of fan content increases every day, every minute even, which makes the latest point, the present, always the best year (moment) to be a brony.

• Brohoof 3

I have to go with 2013 through 2014.  That’s when my involvement with the forum peaked and also included attending two Bronycons. Some of the members here have truly touched my heart. Lots of fun and I’ll always treasure those days. :adorkable:

• Brohoof 1

2014 probably, especially for EQG. I think it was probably the least drama filled for the main show as well, I was tempted to say 2011-12 but the triple whammy of MMDW, Derpygate and the Wedding sets it back a bit

• Brohoof 2

On 2022-05-11 at 1:55 AM, Sven Glimmer said:

It's always the current year in my opinion, because that's the point where there is the largest amount of content. For me it's true, since I'm not interested in missable things such as conventions. A show doesn't need to be new for me either. But the number of fan content increases every day, every minute even, which makes the latest point, the present, always the best year (moment) to be a brony.

I agree with you 100%. Well said! I have not much to add. Of course the best memories comes from the early years but you're making them all the time. 10 years in the future you are feeling nostalgic about this exact moment

• Brohoof 2

• 2 months later...

I joined this forum on a separate account in 2013, I joined the fandom during the 3rd season of the show, there used to be HUNDREDS of ppl online if not sometimes over a thousand, I found a Skype group here, we were pretty close for awhile, we had weekly discussions about each episode, I made some great friends, I ended up getting really involved in this fandom, unfortunately I wasn't able to attend bronycons until 2016, and 2017, I had a blast, the best part is the music but I would like more than anything to some day reunite with some of those old friends I had made. EQG I will say started getting big around the release of Rainbow Rocks, don't know but I think that was in the fall of 2014, I went to see it in theaters in Cleveland and the Ohio bronies were there. I remember how hype ppl were about reformed Sunset and the Sirens were SUPER popular to cosplay, and ppl were making a lot of Rainbow Rocks artwork/music. Ultimately the fandom was most prevalent from 2012-2017, loyals started leaving, there were Starlight haters, there were ppl that didn't like that all the movie continuity is mixed with the shows. Seasons 8-9 tried, and I actually like "some" of what they did, but at that point what first gave it it's charm had long been gone, they had finished flexing Starlight and at this point just needed a creative but hopefully memorable way to end the show. I am okay with the Young 6 but some ppl thought the school was the final stab that took it down. Anyways, I love everything MLP for the most part, and I just hope they can "some how" generate enough hype for something G5 related that gets the bronies back together for good times..

• Brohoof 2

19 hours ago, KingCorvus said:

I joined this forum on a separate account in 2013, I joined the fandom during the 3rd season of the show, there used to be HUNDREDS of ppl online if not sometimes over a thousand, I found a Skype group here, we were pretty close for awhile, we had weekly discussions about each episode, I made some great friends, I ended up getting really involved in this fandom, unfortunately I wasn't able to attend bronycons until 2016, and 2017, I had a blast, the best part is the music but I would like more than anything to some day reunite with some of those old friends I had made. EQG I will say started getting big around the release of Rainbow Rocks, don't know but I think that was in the fall of 2014, I went to see it in theaters in Cleveland and the Ohio bronies were there. I remember how hype ppl were about reformed Sunset and the Sirens were SUPER popular to cosplay, and ppl were making a lot of Rainbow Rocks artwork/music. Ultimately the fandom was most prevalent from 2012-2017, loyals started leaving, there were Starlight haters, there were ppl that didn't like that all the movie continuity is mixed with the shows. Seasons 8-9 tried, and I actually like "some" of what they did, but at that point what first gave it it's charm had long been gone, they had finished flexing Starlight and at this point just needed a creative but hopefully memorable way to end the show. I am okay with the Young 6 but some ppl thought the school was the final stab that took it down. Anyways, I love everything MLP for the most part, and I just hope they can "some how" generate enough hype for something G5 related that gets the bronies back together for good times..

Nice to hear from somepony who was active with the Bronies during the 2013 era. I can just viewing YouTube at that time, when you started Skyping :wau:

• Brohoof 1

Gosh I loved the 2012/2013 when everything was fresh and new, everyone was so happy about that!  today is still awesome but I've the feeling that the community got really silent

• Brohoof 2

21 minutes ago, Sophie H. said:

Gosh I loved the 2012/2013 when everything was fresh and new, everyone was so happy about that!  today is still awesome but I've the feeling that the community got really silent

Yeah, those were great years. Everyone seemed to enjoy it.

• Brohoof 2

I would say the time between 2012 and 2014. The fandom was full of creativity and the meetups and conventions where fun to visit. I also know a lot of people who say that the rime between 2011 and 2013/14 were the best. 

• Brohoof 1

I say roughly between 2012 and 2015. The basis on which I am choosing this period is that 2012 is when there began an explosion of animation projects, and I am choosing 2015 as the end date for Lullaby for a Princess was the last major animation project I remember the fandom producing. I am choosing fan animation as an indicator because such projects take enormous amounts of time, skill, and possibly money and organization to make. I assuming that such projects would not come about in an insignificant fandom.

While I feel much nostalgia for the very early era of Bronydom of 2011, the fandom was quite small and primitive, so to speak. The fan animation Friendship is Magic Bitch may have been the most advanced animation project for its time. Though, at least from my subjective experience, while it was fairly primitive in 2011, MLPFIM and its fandom were new: I had quite a bit of feeling of anticipation on the potential they had. There was certainly more of a sense of counter-culture back then.

I think now is the best time to be a brony . The show that began this phenomenon may be over, but a new era of MLP has just begun. There is a whole lot of fan content out there, from the past and even now. It would take you years to view or listen to all of it!

On 2022-07-28 at 8:32 AM, Luna the Great of all the Russias said:

I say roughly between 2012 and 2015. The basis on which I am choosing this period is that 2012 is when there began an explosion of animation projects, and I am choosing 2015 as the end date for Lullaby for a Princess was the last major animation project I remember the fandom producing. I am choosing fan animation as an indicator because such projects take enormous amounts of time, skill, and possibly money and organization to make. I assuming that such projects would not come about in an insignificant fandom.

There are still some being made. Did you see "Missing Out" by Minty Root? It came out just a couple weeks ago and it's really, really great.

Edited by Starset Twinkle