Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

This Movie is Completely Harmless

Misty Shadow

25 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

Like I said I still have no idea what the word woke means so if you're looking to use it again you're just going to lose me. (Scratching my head)

My point is just relax and enjoy the show

27 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Exactly, and most of us are relieved that was the case. Point is, there were reasons for G5 to go full woke before release

Yeah, I think I made it clear there :huh:

• Brohoof 1

MLP isn't the first or last to have sensitive topics in a show directed towards children. Proud Family, and Braceface had more broader, "in your face." pRogResSivE and wOke topics. People just have short memories.

7 hours ago, Star_Quake said:

MLP isn't the first or last to have sensitive topics in a show directed towards children. Proud Family, and Braceface had more broader, "in your face." pRogResSivE and wOke topics. People just have short memories.

Well written and plot relevant sensitive topics ain’t woke tho :orly:

15 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Well written and plot relevant sensitive topics ain’t woke tho :orly:

Actually it would be considered as "woke" The definition of woke means being "socially aware." or just "well informed." 

Supposed "wOkE" topics in media is just bad and lazy writing

9 minutes ago, Star_Quake said:

Actually it would be considered as "woke" The definition of woke means being "socially aware." or just "well informed." 

“Progressive”, as in actual good progressive, not stupid and phony progressive, AKA: woke >_>

3 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

“Progressive”, as in actual good progressive, not stupid and phony progressive, AKA: woke >_>

A more appropriate term for bad progressive writing should just be "Fake Woke."  

6 minutes ago, Star_Quake said:

A more appropriate term for bad progressive writing should just be "Fake Woke."  

To explain woke, I'll borrow words from the book of Dadism. It's when a franchise is worn like a skin suit by a bunch of activists with a savior complex that are detached from reality. And I'll call it woke for the same reason people don't call toothpick fake toothbrush.

3 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

To explain woke, I'll borrow words from the book of Dadism. It's when a franchise is worn like a skin suit by a bunch of activists with a savior complex that are detached from reality. And I'll call it woke for the same reason people don't call toothpick fake toothbrush.

That's not what woke is though? It's a slang term that originated in AAVE and's been around since the 1960s. (Probably) It's original meaning was referring to the discrimination against African Americans. . The word was added to the dictionary in 2017 and it literally  just says someone who is socially connected or aware.

Fake Woke meaning literally is:  Fake woke is assuming moral or ideological superiority through the act of purporting unpopular opinion or socially righteous motives that are factually untrue.

There's an obvious difference between the two. The term "woke" is just being misused, and now has a bad stigma around it.

14 minutes ago, Star_Quake said:

There's an obvious difference between the two. The term "woke" is just being misused, and now has a bad stigma around it.

I guess it's similar to how the word "literally" is also used to mean "figuratively" ("OMG, I literally died when I saw this"). But yeah, "woke" usually is used in the negative sense now. Probably started as an euphemism, I think the same people used to be called SJWs.

• Brohoof 1

16 hours ago, Star_Quake said:

That's not what woke is though? It's a slang term that originated in AAVE and's been around since the 1960s. (Probably) It's original meaning was referring to the discrimination against African Americans. . The word was added to the dictionary in 2017 and it literally  just says someone who is socially connected or aware.

Fake Woke meaning literally is:  Fake woke is assuming moral or ideological superiority through the act of purporting unpopular opinion or socially righteous motives that are factually untrue.

Meanings change. You are now aware of what woke means in regards to MLP. You want it back? Go fight with those who subverted the movement as trying to change the meaning now is meaningless. Perhaps it shall change again, in time.

9 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

Meanings change. You are now aware of what woke means in regards to MLP. You want it back? Go fight with those who subverted the movement as trying to change the meaning now is meaningless. Perhaps it shall change again, in time.

The meaning never changed, it's still the same in the dictionary book. People are just using it wrong

• 4 weeks later...

Took me a while to figure out why you guys were pondering whether this movie was harmless or not, but I think I get it now.

I wasn't offended by the movie like I thought I would be. The movie didn't feel like an agenda at all. That made me happy.

1 hour ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

The movie may be completely harmless, but Earth, according to the latest update of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, is "Mostly Harmless"

30901.jpg

You are not suggesting the franchise is about to be destroyed to make way for a highway, are you?

On 2021-12-19 at 7:42 PM, Stancet said:

Took me a while to figure out why you guys were pondering whether this movie was harmless or not, but I think I get it now.

I wasn't offended by the movie like I thought I would be. The movie didn't feel like an agenda at all. That made me happy.

I didn’t feel either, but there were legitimate concerns that would be the case prerelease, starting with the very first thing they did to promote the movie “activism” and “diversity” as selling points the beginning of the year. I believe the concerns were toned down since they made no further woke selling points afterwards, and promoted the movie itself. 

I just happen to have watched a video on why modern movies suck

9 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

I didn’t feel either, but there were legitimate concerns that would be the case prerelease, starting with the very first thing they did to promote the movie “activism” and “diversity” as selling points the beginning of the year. I believe the concerns were toned down since they made no further woke selling points afterwards, and promoted the movie itself. 

I just happen to have watched a video on why modern movies suck

I actually know about this video. I haven't seen it yet because truthfully, most movies have been bad throughout history, just for different reasons in different eras. 

I'm actually surprised My Little Pony has kept the wokeness as low as it has. There is a conservative movie critic named Matt Walsh who did a review of the most woke moments in children's cartoons, but was surprised MLP kept away from the preachiness and stayed in the subtle area. I very much appreciate that.

• smile 1

Mdr I do not understand the purpose of this topic, mlp is a cartoon that addresses themes found in reality, the film of G5 is not the only one, this kind of subject is much discussed in the G4, the fact that the 3 races of pony is divided, or that the fear lets people talk and other, are subjects that I think it is important to address to the youngest so that they understand the world, and the fact of loving each other despite our differences, that we are all the same, Sunny is indeed an activist since her goal was to bring together the 3 races, but this was not the case in her village, she was seen as the local madwoman, I don't see how that's wrong, and why some people feel offended, I think it's me who misread the article, clearly you're taking the head for nothing nowadays, and even for children's programs, the modern movies are also very good, and the old movies some too, the new generation and has its message to report, the film was not political, after I imagine that they take a little content of our real world and is inspired, me I found the idea well, because after all I do not see too much what they could have done more brief

• Brohoof 3

7 hours ago, Vivooush said:

Mdr I do not understand the purpose of this topic, mlp is a cartoon that addresses themes found in reality, the film of G5 is not the only one, this kind of subject is much discussed in the G4, the fact that the 3 races of pony is divided, or that the fear lets people talk and other, are subjects that I think it is important to address to the youngest so that they understand the world, and the fact of loving each other despite our differences, that we are all the same, Sunny is indeed an activist since her goal was to bring together the 3 races, but this was not the case in her village, she was seen as the local madwoman, I don't see how that's wrong, and why some people feel offended, I think it's me who misread the article, clearly you're taking the head for nothing nowadays, and even for children's programs, the modern movies are also very good, and the old movies some too, the new generation and has its message to report, the film was not political, after I imagine that they take a little content of our real world and is inspired, me I found the idea well, because after all I do not see too much what they could have done more brief

Everything you said is fine, and none of that is the reason people were nervous about A New Generation, if I'm understanding you correctly. 

We are currently living in a very strange time when everything seems to be political or interpreted as political. Even professional athletes have made their sports politically charged, so people can't even watch their favorite games without someone declaring their politics to them. Now, the reoccurring fear amongst everyone is that My Little Pony, like a host of other animated shows, will feel the need to start preaching a certain political narrative and sacrifice its own quality and enjoyability in the process. 

Now, I'm politically conservative and I won't toot my own horn anymore than I think I have to. I'm saying that because having prejudice against people based on who they are is agreed to be wrong on both sides of the political aisle. That's why even we can enjoy My Little Pony because it's a story about how ponies learned to live with one another despite their differences. However, there is a narrative in today's politics that continuously says that despite how far we've come it's still not enough and we should only be more ashamed of ourselves for not reaching the arbitrary heights they want society to have reached now. This is the narrative that continues to grow louder throughout today's media, calling lots of people hateful if they are not onboard, and unintentionally creating the same kind of divides they say they want to fix. Therefore, seeing a cartoon that is relatable like My Little Pony, that encourages us in a positive direction without shaming anyone, is a welcome relief.

Anyways, I'm not here to get into a really deep discuss on such things. I've tried to explain the important points while keeping specific issues vague so we don't have to be anymore political than necessary, but I hope that's a healthy summary of what people were afraid My Little Pony could have become, which thankfully it didn't.

• Brohoof 1

The only way the movie can harm you is if you are allergic to furry ponies or glitter.

Anyway there's a few ways the movie could be improved for me if I wasn't already a fan, and many ways that if I wasn't a fan I'd want it to be better, but it's staple pony fair. The worst thing about the movie is waiting for more Gen 5! Bring on the series!

• Brohoof 3