Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you be okay with it if the show went this route?

Plonkett

Since the movie was basically about bringing friendship back together, how would you like about the show being closer to G3, but still keeping the spirit of G4? The episodes would mainly be about exploring the personalities, interests, and relationships of the main characters. The only kinds of antagonists being more akin to Trixie, Flim Flam brothers, and Iron Will, and not having any real villains. It still having writing quality that would appeal to fans of the previous show. It could still have two parter episodes with more of a plot, but only with medium stakes. Would you watch the G5 show if it was like that?

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, vgmaster9 said:

The episodes would mainly be about exploring the personalities, interests, and relationships of the main characters. The only kinds of antagonists being more akin to Trixie, Flim Flam brothers, and Iron Will, and not having any real villains.

So, like the anime Lucky Star (which is one of my favorites)? That would be great.  I did not really like the "big villain" episodes of FIM anyway, I liked the middle of season episodes more...

EDIT: As long as there's no romance or at worst it's not very prominent (between background characters or something that I could easily ignore).

Edited by Pentium100

Lore =/= action & adventure. That said, they'd fail at both adventure and SoL anyway. The problem is that they still wanna preach and you need to have fun stuff in SoL. Like dark lord works at McDonald's kinda stuff. There's usually romance involved and fish out of water situations. You know, the usual human fare that's not connected to tools used to catch lions in Scottish highlands.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, I'll take ANYTHING over pretentious fanfiction bullshit. I want G5 to go back to basics by not focusing too much on G4, take notes on what the previous generation did wrong and make it better.

The biggest problem I had with G4 is that they were trying to had their cake and it eat it too by having too many unnecessary plot elements that just me feel frustrated and confused. Not to mention, full of inconsistencies and continuity errors that left G4 a complete mess. Too many different directions by different people and not on the same page didn't help matters after Faust left.:yuck:

• Brohoof 1

I would be fine with the show staying with the regular G4 formula, day to day adventures and fun interactions, but I do want to touch upon events in the past as well, maybe building up to something quite important.

• Brohoof 1

Eh, though I wouldn't mind, I'd prefer to see them fighting actual villains with fight scenes akin to the battle with Tirek in Twilight's Kingdom. Friendship is Magic was oversaturated with slice-of-life stuff, in my opinion.

• Brohoof 2

On 2021-10-05 at 1:42 PM, Megas said:

Honestly, yes. I actually felt the heavier focus on lore ended up being more detrimental to G4

I'm sure you can still have some focus on lore. Can also have the main characters explore new places.

On 2021-10-05 at 6:42 PM, Megas said:

Honestly, yes. I actually felt the heavier focus on lore ended up being more detrimental to G4

Yup. The quality of the show went south when they started focusing more on lore and worldbuilding than the characterisation which was the show's strength. MLP was always better as a slice of life show focusing on interpersonal relationships.

• Brohoof 2

I hope that there isn’t any “big villain” stuff. It’s not the sort of plot we need these days—a big, overwhelming evil hearkens from a past of black-and-white morality that this world needs less of. 

But do have rich worldbuilding too—integrate it into the character arcs and you have a winning combination. 

3 hours ago, RulesofRarity said:

Yup. The quality of the show went south when they started focusing more on lore and worldbuilding than the characterisation which was the show's strength. MLP was always better as a slice of life show focusing on interpersonal relationships.

I agree. Don't even get me started on the fan pandering....

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-10-08 at 3:07 PM, JMTV99 said:

I agree. Don't even get me started on the fan pandering....

It got completely out of hand in the later seasons. There was no reason that there should've been an entire episode dedicated to background ponies or an entire episode about addressing fan critcisms especially legitimate ones!! The best episodes of the show were the ones that were fun and delivered good themes like cutting off toxic friends but those episodes became rarer and rarer as time went on. 

5 hours ago, RulesofRarity said:

It got completely out of hand in the later seasons. There was no reason that there should've been an entire episode dedicated to background ponies or an entire episode about addressing fan critcisms especially legitimate ones!! The best episodes of the show were the ones that were fun and delivered good themes like cutting off toxic friends but those episodes became rarer and rarer as time went on. 

Yeah, I agree. I mean it's okay to showcase some fandom references once in a while as a cute little joke, but not to the point you have to constantly shove it down our throats every single season.:yeahno:

Edited by JMTV99
  • Brohoof 1

On 2021-10-05 at 1:31 PM, vgmaster9 said:

Since the movie was basically about bringing friendship back together, how would you like about the show being closer to G3, but still keeping the spirit of G4? The episodes would mainly be about exploring the personalities, interests, and relationships of the main characters. The only kinds of antagonists being more akin to Trixie, Flim Flam brothers, and Iron Will, and not having any real villains. It still having writing quality that would appeal to fans of the previous show. It could still have two parter episodes with more of a plot, but only with medium stakes. Would you watch the G5 show if it was like that?

I think that would work very well, if written right. I personally wouldn't mind the show introducing new villains, since G4 had awesome ones like Chrysalis, Tirek, Nightmare Moon, formerly Discord, and etc., but as long as the writers introduce villains that are different and original from the antagonist of G4, and fit with the way G5 is built up.

Edited by TheDarkMare1939
  • Brohoof 1

I could see it being very slice of life, but with more plot, kind of like the FiM episodes that focused on friendship lessons rather than the overarching plot.  I don't think the world of the film has enough going for it for us to see epic battles, and if other races are reintroduced, they probably lost their magic too and need to reclaim it (good luck convincing the dragons and griffons to embrace friendship).  In lieu of there being an exciting world to explore, the show would either have to be about restoring it to its former glory, or just be slice of life.  Dr. Wolf's idea of exploring why the world turned out the way it did is also a possibility, and would probably be the most engaging plot-wise, but would also run into the problem of ANG being even more of an extension of FiM to the point where it doesn't have enough of its own identity.

If the series does go the purely slice of life route, I think work needs to be done to flesh out the characters.  While I could watch the Mane Six for hours, I don't feel the same way about this new cast just yet.  Sure, there is story potential to be had, and I hope it's handled well.  As I'm not sure who Sunny is outside of her pursuit of friendship with other races, maybe a good route for her character is discovering who she is now that she has realized the goal she dedicated her life to for so long. 

One thing the world in this new series has going for it that's different than FiM is it's in a more modern setting.  Sure, so does EQG, but this is a world where magic has been reintroduced on a large scale.  Ponies who have lived their entire lives without magic now have it.  They live in a post-modern capitalist world where they have gotten by with current technology.  I can imagine it might be interesting to figure out where magic fits in.  At first it may just make everyday tasks more convenient, especially for Unicorns.  Pegasus ponies can probably get to work faster now.  Earth Ponies may have to discover the ins and outs of their magic because it's less self-explanatory, but they probably feel more alive now than they ever did.  There is potential here for a take on fantasy that I wish were more common.  I'll certainly miss the more supernatural elements of FiM, but in lieu of that I really hope this new series embraces what sets it apart from its predecessor.  

Whatever happens, this new series is guaranteed to be in the top two MLP series.  I just have my doubts that it will turn out nearly as good as FiM.  To be fair though, FiM is amazing and set the bar exceptionally high.  I don't see this new show being as exciting in the long term, but that doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable in its own right, so I'm crossing my fingers that it will be.  

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

That would honestly be the best case scenario for me! Just seeing the characters do cute, wholesome things while also developing their personalities and strengthening bonds with each other. I want to see much of Hitch vibing to music, more of Sunny delivering her smoothies to the ponies of Maretime Bay, and Izzy making neat crafts for her friends! I also really want to see some moments of development for the bond between Pipp and Zipp.

• Brohoof 1

I'm pretty flexible when it comes to what I like to watch since my main focus tends to be on the voice talent so I'd accept whatever direction Hasbro takes with G5.

Yes, I would be okay with that. Super evil villains can make a show more epic, and add elements of heroism, but what I really care about in a show is this stuff:

* Love/kindness/care/friendship/etc.

* Emotionally impacting content (where the impact feels good to the viewer, because they empathize/sympathize, are joyful about it, or something)

* Interpersonal relations

* Uplifting content

* Clean, wholesome content

* Good examples

* Morals

* Cool fantasy magic (ideally not just simple magic, nor spiritual magic)

* Lots of worldbuilding

* Color (I like bright colors; they make a show more entertaining and uplifting)

* Music/singing

You can probably tell by now that I like making lists.

Edited by zinto

• 3 weeks later...
On 2021-10-10 at 11:59 PM, AlbaTross said:

I could see it being very slice of life, but with more plot, kind of like the FiM episodes that focused on friendship lessons rather than the overarching plot.  I don't think the world of the film has enough going for it for us to see epic battles, and if other races are reintroduced, they probably lost their magic too and need to reclaim it (good luck convincing the dragons and griffons to embrace friendship).  In lieu of there being an exciting world to explore, the show would either have to be about restoring it to its former glory, or just be slice of life.  Dr. Wolf's idea of exploring why the world turned out the way it did is also a possibility, and would probably be the most engaging plot-wise, but would also run into the problem of ANG being even more of an extension of FiM to the point where it doesn't have enough of its own identity.

If the series does go the purely slice of life route, I think work needs to be done to flesh out the characters.  While I could watch the Mane Six for hours, I don't feel the same way about this new cast just yet.  Sure, there is story potential to be had, and I hope it's handled well.  As I'm not sure who Sunny is outside of her pursuit of friendship with other races, maybe a good route for her character is discovering who she is now that she has realized the goal she dedicated her life to for so long. 

One thing the world in this new series has going for it that's different than FiM is it's in a more modern setting.  Sure, so does EQG, but this is a world where magic has been reintroduced on a large scale.  Ponies who have lived their entire lives without magic now have it.  They live in a post-modern capitalist world where they have gotten by with current technology.  I can imagine it might be interesting to figure out where magic fits in.  At first it may just make everyday tasks more convenient, especially for Unicorns.  Pegasus ponies can probably get to work faster now.  Earth Ponies may have to discover the ins and outs of their magic because it's less self-explanatory, but they probably feel more alive now than they ever did.  There is potential here for a take on fantasy that I wish were more common.  I'll certainly miss the more supernatural elements of FiM, but in lieu of that I really hope this new series embraces what sets it apart from its predecessor.  

Whatever happens, this new series is guaranteed to be in the top two MLP series.  I just have my doubts that it will turn out nearly as good as FiM.  To be fair though, FiM is amazing and set the bar exceptionally high.  I don't see this new show being as exciting in the long term, but that doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable in its own right, so I'm crossing my fingers that it will be.  

Your ideas for what MLP G5 should be like sounds great. I consider these ideas to be the best take on it.