Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

*MLP G5 Movie Bad Review PART 1* SPOILERS

Discord the Amazing

Now I am a fan of G4 for a very long time, about 2 generations now, me then my kids so I know what I’m talking about, so first off the introduction was a insult to the mane 6, making it portray in their opinion a generic formula of starting a MLP movie introduction, then doing that to poor rarity and not even include spike! Also twilight and gang would look like they were grown and not younger

image.gif.8795cd2a340f4d4e8537e5fdac65966b.gif

then the fact that friendship between apparently all creatures in equestria are null and void and even preventing them from doing magic?! Hello what about Discord dose his power come from friendship from only ponies?! Of course not! Same goes with other magically powerful villains before harmony And also what are they trying to say! That The Mane 6 are failures and couldn’t keep the harmony! it seems to me G5 is only concentrating on new ponies for merchandising instead of the world that was built already with amazing background stories, characters, animals, plant light just to make another nostalgic cash grab on poor fans like ourselves!…but I do love that it’s 3D animation at least

image.png.dcf91d93c8db01a08c23a94212d1b1d0.png

I'll agree that the 3D looks great, though I will miss MLP being one of the few 2D animated series left.  Overall, I did enjoy the film.  Honestly, there are more reasons than one why the movie shouldn't have been tied to FiM though, and you highlighted one of them.  I don't actually think proper care and diligence was taken in trying to tie the two universes together.  I think it was done largely so the movie could piggyback off of the success of FiM, even if it didn't end up being well received.  But, since it has been well received, that move really shot it in the foot in terms of its ability to stand on its own.  Moreover, as you've so eloquently stated, there are issues with setting said film in an established universe without taking into account all the nuances of said universe.  It has been a great rabbit hole for discussion, sure, but like a deal with the devil, it comes at a cost, and in this case ANG's potential to stand on its own is quite limited IMHO, especially if the new series actually ends up leaning even more into FiM lore.