Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

slice of life The King of Love Bugs: My Magnum Opus, and a Fandom Love Letter

NavelColt

1328054.png

‘If my kind learned to create love for one another, maybe they wouldn’t have to take it from others.’ ~ Thorax, The Times They Are a Changeling

Hello, MLP Forums. :oh_golly:

For those who don't know me, I was once an active forumite who found friendship and comraderie through this site in its early years. I attended my first fan convention because of this site and fandom, and even now, years after leaving the MLPF staff and existing as a ghost, I retain so many of the friends and acquaintances I made because of this fandom.

After leaving, I began to focus my energy on writing. You see, a character was introduced who quickly rose to become my favorite character on the entire show. It was Thorax, and his role in the show evolved into something that spoke to me, inspired me past the context of an animated show I enjoy. I had a story to tell about Thorax, about the changelings, and the relationships they could now forge in a hive free of tyranny and selfishness.

That was five years ago. Today, I've finished what I set out to write so long ago, and immortalized it in physical print.

IMG_20211012_184920918.jpg

IMG_20211012_185259736.jpg

IMG_20211012_185049430.jpg

KoLB follows Thorax in his new role as the changeling leader, and more importantly, explores the role of 'caring patriarch' that he naturally begins to take on, both towards nymphs and adult changelings of the hive. His gentle, guiding hoof is just what the changelings need as they deal with the emotional immaturity born from feeling emotions rather than stealing them, for the very first time. 

It also follows Thorax's efforts to introduce the concept of peaceful changelings to Equestria, assisted largely by Twilight and the other princesses.

I wanted to share this with all of you, not just because it's a cool FiM-related accomplishment, but because it is the greatest creative accomplishment of my adult life thus far. This fandom inspired my first book, in the same way that it inspired my first fan convention, and so many friendships I otherwise wouldn't have made.

The King of Love Bugs can be found digitally on my FIMFic, and, if you so desire, can be purchased in print from my Lulu page. As a share-only link, please PM me for further information on the book. 

Anywho, that's my rant. This book, now technically fan merchandise, is full of feels and humor, and I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys the changelings, or heartfelt storytelling. :grin:

What a fandom this is, and what a journey this has been. I'm optimistic for what future generations may bring.

Thank you for reading, everyone. :catface:

2557605.png

Header and footer artworks by Circus Cinnamon and primerosepaper, respectively.

• Brohoof 13

Oh yeah, you have an account here. :wau:

It's been the #1 priority on my Read It Later list for a while now, actually. It looks good; I hope to get started on it soon. 

• Brohoof 1

• The topic was featured
1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Oh yeah, you have an account here. :wau:

It's been the #1 priority on my Read It Later list for a while now, actually. It looks good; I hope to get started on it soon. 

A long, long time ago I used to be an admin on here, but it's been so long that I doubt there's almost anyone left who remembers that era. :ButtercupLaugh:

Let me know when you do! :Thorax:

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh wow! I just finished reading that story on FimFiction about a month ago, and you made it into an actual book? Wow, that's dedication, and I can't even begin to know how you did that!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2021-12-23 at 11:22 AM, DPBOX said:

Oh wow! I just finished reading that story on FimFiction about a month ago, and you made it into an actual book? Wow, that's dedication, and I can't even begin to know how you did that!

me too same

• 4 weeks later...
  • The topic was unfeatured