Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Have you watched any baseball games?

Allen

Have you watched any baseball games?  

12 users have voted

1. 1. Have you watched any baseball games?

• Yes, I watched some baseball games, particularly live. (Major League Baseball, etc.)
    • No, I haven't watched any baseball games.
  2. 2. Are you a fan of baseball too?

• Yes, I'm a baseball fan too.
    • No, I'm not really a fan of baseball.
  3. 3. Which baseball league do you prefer most?

• Major League Baseball (MLB)
    • Minor League Baseball (MiLB)
    • Other

I started to become a fan of baseball since Houston Astros won the World Series back in 2017. I watched some baseball games, particularly Major League Baseball (MLB), and I prefer postseason at most.

My favorite baseball teams are the Houston Astros, which is my home city's baseball team; the New York Yankees, the team that won the most World Series titles in their franchise history and one of the most dominant MLB teams in baseball history; the Los Angeles Dodgers, which they won the most National League pennants; and the Chicago Cubs, which they won their World Series title back in 2016 for the first time in over 100 years, ending their longest postseason franchise drought to relieve Chicago for that.

This year, in postseason, the Astros have made it back to the World Series once again for the third time in five years, defeated the Boston Red Sox in a 2018 ALCS rematch in six games as a revenge. They will take on the Atlanta Braves in the World Series. I know the Astros are going to be better this time! The Dodgers would have done it again in the NLCS against the Braves in a second straight year rematch since they won their World Series title last year!

I will make a few polls on this thread above if you watched any baseball games and if you are a baseball fan or not. Also, what are your favorite baseball teams if you watched any baseball games, particularly live?

Edited by Allen

The Atlanta Braves are back in the world series.  The bad news is that they're facing the Trashcan Bangers:unamused:  They don't have a chance against these guys:worry:  Fluttershy is on standby to fly in and give Scootaloo another hug:(  They enter the grand stage in Houston, the very city where their NFL counterparts, the Atlanta Falcons, committed the worst choke job:BornAgainBrony: in Super Bowl history, 28 to 3:blink: 

Scootaloo is still terrified of it all:( 

The Astros on the diamond are bound to pull off a gut-risky play similar to the Patriots' Julian Edelman who made a gravity-defying:wau: leap to catch the football, forbidding it to touch the ground and overpowering:sealed: three very exhausted:scoots: Falcons defenders:ithastolookpretty:  

Edited by ZiggWheelsManning

No, I don't even know the rules. I know one guy throws a ball, then another (from opposing team) has to hit it, if he hits it out of the field, his team scores, if he can't hit it, the other team scores and if he hits it, but not out of the field, then something else happens. 

I am hoping the Braves pull it off. The Astros better not win. They took down my Dodgers a few years back and I hope the Braves could avenge the Dodgers this year. I have two teams I like, The Braves and Dodgers. 

I have also watched some Minor League, specifically the Charlotte Knights. I went to a Charlotte Knights game, but it ended with major disappointment...strikeout win with bases loaded... :(

(edited)

The World Series was overwhelming for Atlanta Braves' win against the Houston Astros in Game 6, and won that title for over 20 years. I'll hand out congratulations to the Braves for that. :yay:

I'll see what the next Major League Baseball season unfolds, particularly for the Houston Astros with Carlos Correa's (Astros shortstop, #1) new job as a free-agent for the offseason but the team won't be the same without Correa. :( I wish he's still part of the team in the future baseball seasons.

Edited by Allen
  • Brohoof 1

What's more fitting is Atlanta United, owned under Arthur Blank, won an MLS title in soccer^_^ 3 years ago:wau:  From 1995 to 2021, that's 3 titles right there:ph3ar:  

Another mind blow, the Pittsburgh Steelers had to wait 26 years to win another Super Bowl title:wau:  

I wonder if the Pittsburgh Steelers' existence:mlp_wat: had something to do with this:dash:  

Que Fatboy Slim - Right Here, Right Now:fiery:  

Edited by ZiggWheelsManning
  • Brohoof 1

I've never watched one all the way through. My state doesn't have an MLB team so I never bothered. While I am not big into sports besides GT racing, if it is my state's team, that helps me get into the moment to moment stuff. 

• Brohoof 1

I probably watched about 50 St. Louis Cardinals Games this year on TV. On average, I watch probably about 100 MLB games including playoff games. Still hoping to go to a game next year. We were going to but things came up (aka my broken leg). I also play my fair share of baseball games in the MLB the Show video game.

Edited by Mama Patty Thundersnow

• 2 weeks later...

I've never watched any Baseball Game. It's not popular where I live.

On 2021-11-06 at 2:19 AM, Splashee said:

I still don't understand Baseball. The closest I got to understand it were while watching an episode of Star Trek Deep Space 9.

Was it the 'Take Me Out to the Holosuite' episode ?

On 2021-10-25 at 1:51 AM, Pentium100 said:

No, I don't even know the rules. I know one guy throws a ball, then another (from opposing team) has to hit it, if he hits it out of the field, his team scores, if he can't hit it, the other team scores and if he hits it, but not out of the field, then something else happens. 

On 2021-11-05 at 8:19 PM, Splashee said:

I still don't understand Baseball. The closest I got to understand it were while watching an episode of Star Trek Deep Space 9.

The field is set up like a diamond:

Crowd.                 Crowd.             Crowd

Outfield.                 Out field

2nd

Crowd      3rd.      ◇        1st.      Crowd

Home

Crowd(audience)

One team is on the field, the other wants to hit the ball and run around the bases. The ones on the field wants to throw the ball so the other team can't hit it 3 times in a row(3 strikes) and do that 3 times(as 3 strikes = 1 out, 3 outs= a switch of sides). There are usually 9 rounds, or innings, unless there is a tie(which then I believe its whoever scores first wins, and who is where is chosen by a coin toss)or both sides decide to quit early  

If the other team does hit it, then they have to beat the other team(field) to first base, and the field team has to get the ball to first base before the one who hit it gets there for an out. After first base the team running around the bases has to be tagged with the ball(not thrown at them, as in chased) for it to count as an out, unless they are running from 3rd to home, then it works either way(like first or tagged), unless they can run back to third, if there is no one else on base.

One successful round around the bases counts as a point.

One can run as far as one dares, as in they can run to first then to second then to third on one hit, or first to second, or all the way around, just as long as they don't get "out". You can also "steal" a base by running to the next one when they are pitching, as long as you don't get out.

If you hit the ball to the left of the line between 3rd base and home or to the right of the line between 1st and home, it counts as a foul and you have to hit again. Fouls can count as strikes, up to a total strike count of two, so one in theory can hit fouls forever.

If you don't swing at a pitch and the umpire judges the pitch as unhittable,  it counts as a "ball" and then if you get 4 "balls" you get a free pass to 1st, usually called a walk, as...well they can't get you out, so no reason to run to the base. If there is some one on 1st,2nd, and 3rd or 1st and 2nd, all get to move to the next base the same as the one who got walked, and in the case of the one on 3rd, he gets to walk to "home" and it counts as a point.

If you hit it past the outfield, it is considered a "home run" and you and anyone who was on a base gets a free pass to home plate. You still have to go around all the bases, you can't just walk back to the dugout.

The dugout is where each team sits while they are waiting at bat (trying to hit the ball) and where the extra players sit when they are on the field. It is usually a couple feet lower than the field, thus "dug out" 

I think I got that correct, it's a basic explanation,  but it isn't that complicated in the first place. Any questions, tag me and ask, and if those were supposed to be sarcastic replies...well you got an explanation anyways. 

Edited by TheGleaner
  • Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, TheGleaner said:

I think I got that correct, it's a basic explanation,  but it isn't that complicated in the first place. Any questions, tag me and ask, and if those were supposed to be sarcastic replies...well you got an explanation anyways. 

thanks. It is more complicated than, say, basketball (the most popular sport in my country) or (European) football. 

1 hour ago, TheGleaner said:

If the other team does hit it, then they have to beat the other team(field) to first base, and the field team has to get the ball to first base before the one who hit it gets there for an out. After first base the team running around the bases has to be tagged with the ball(not thrown at them, as in chased) for it to count as an out, unless they are running from 3rd to home, then it works either way(like first or tagged), unless they can run back to third, if there is no one else on base.

If I understand correctly, when the player is running from home plate to first base, the other team can throw the ball at him (or the first base). If they manage to hit before he gets to first base, he's out. when he's running from base 1 to 2 and 2 to 3, the opponent who has the ball, has to catch him and touch him with the ball. If he's  running from  base 3 to home plate either way works.

I assume the player gets to, say, first base and stops. Someone else comes to hit the next ball and if he does hit it, this player runs from base 1 to 2. So, at one time, there may be multiple people running between bases. Do the opponents need to stop them one by one (throw the ball to first base, then the second etc) or does getting one player "out" stop everyone?

• Brohoof 1

20 hours ago, Pentium100 said:

If I understand correctly, when the player is running from home plate to first base, the other team can throw the ball at him(*1) (or the first base). If they manage to hit before he gets to first base, he's out. when he's running from base 1 to 2 and 2 to 3, the opponent who has the ball, has to catch him and touch him with the ball. If he's  running from  base 3 to home plate either way works.

I assume the player gets to, say, first base and stops. (*2) Someone else comes to hit the next ball and if he does hit it, this player runs from base 1 to 2. So, at one time, there may be multiple people running between bases. Do the opponents need to stop them one by one (throw the ball to first base, then the second etc) or does getting one player "out" stop everyone?(*3)

I marked where the responses go in the quote.

(*1) No. They have to chase after him and tag him, they can't just throw it at him...baseballs are hard and have a reasonable weight to them. They're about as heavy as a grapefruit(but a tad bit smaller) and have very little give, about like a golf ball in a way(but much bigger than a golf ball). That's also the reason why when they are at bat they have to wear helmets(at least semi professional and up do) , one misthrown pitch or a pop fly(where the ball is hit so it goes straight up, not on purpose) and that would end up being a concussion. 

(*2) they can keep going, if they think they can make it to second or third, and can always run back to the previous base if they are being chased.( example: they start running to second from first and then they begin to get chased from the direction of second, they can run back to first and be safe, as long as they don't get tagged).

Force out, I think is the word I was looking for(when throwing a ball to a base gets you out, usually because you have no where else to go).

(*3) they have to get each one individually out, and it's part of the game, to hurry up and decide what's the best route to take to get someone(s) out. Sometimes they figure "forget the guy on first, get the guy running from second to third" or similar.  Everyone keeps going. 

Edited by TheGleaner
  • Brohoof 1

On 2021-11-30 at 12:11 AM, ZiggWheelsManning said:

We still have to be aware that a work stoppage may deny us MLB games next year:sunny:  

I just heard it that there is a lockout in Major League Baseball right now upon the expiration of the Major League Baseball's (MLB) collective bargaining agreement (CBA) last Wednesday. The 2021 baseball season's over by the way with the Atlanta Braves won the World Series. With the lockout going on, we don't know when this work stoppage will last, as that would lead to the first set of MLB games for the 2022 baseball season being cancelled, especially after the expected regular season start date. :(