Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

YouTube exclusive 2D G5 animation coming this spring.

CastletonSnob

I think it will be small-scale low-budget animated shorts, but it will still be interesting to see the G5 ponies in an animated 2D style. Possibly something similar to the new Strawberry Shortcake cartoon that releases on YouTube. Hasbro's priority is definitely on the 3D specials and series itself.

It could also be something extra simple like Flurry Heart's Heartfelt Scrapbook. In any case, I'm looking forward to the new content, whatever it is!

2 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Please, let it be Toon Boom horses :fluttershy:

Yes, PLEASE let it be the Toon Boom style animation. Part of me is happy with this news, given my preference for 2D, and part of me has been spoiled by the excellent 3D animation from the G5 movie. Since the Toon Boom style was what we saw at the start of the movie, I wouldn't even call something close a downgrade. 

• Brohoof 2

15 minutes ago, Zoom Jetstream said:

Well that certainly is interesting. I wonder why it is exclusive to Youtube though...

It's a good decision. It allows the animation to be seen by potentially BILLIONS. YouTube has a LOT more viewers than Netflix.

• Brohoof 1

As much as I love 2D, I need to complain about the 2D designs as soon as we see them :worry: (hopefully not)

Like, ponies can look really cute (like Pony Life) and be really bad animation, but that is not what I am worried about. It is just, all the 2D drawn G5 ponies have had designs that look as fake as the rotoscoped 3D model they were going after. The design for G5 is clearly not made for 2D at all.

• Brohoof 3

My biggest worry is that the voice actors for the main cast may or may not be consistent between the movie, specials and the Gen 5 show itself. :lie:

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 2

29 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

My biggest worry is that the voice actors for the main cast may or may not be consistent between the movie, specials and the Gen 5 show itself. :lie:

Considering how high profile the cast was, it’s a possibility we should strongly prepare for

• Brohoof 4

12 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Unfortunately Hasbro has been pretty anti-union lately when it comes to their shows. And given that G5 had some pretty big celebrity VAs I think we should brace for it

——————————

as for my thoughts on this, I’m not too big on the 2D art style in the promotional material. It’s not the worst but they feel bland and corporate. I hope that the art here is going to be better 

• Brohoof 3

21 hours ago, Splashee said:

The design for G5 is clearly not made for 2D at all.

Not sure I agree. They look a LOT like the hasbro toys, down to only having the cutie mark on one flank to cut down on printing costs.

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-11-11 at 7:54 AM, Megas said:

Unfortunately Hasbro has been pretty anti-union lately when it comes to their shows. And given that G5 had some pretty big celebrity VAs I think we should brace for it

——————————

as for my thoughts on this, I’m not too big on the 2D art style in the promotional material. It’s not the worst but they feel bland and corporate. I hope that the art here is going to be better 

Exactly my thoughts.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer by far the quality of the film for the G5, it changes and I attach better to the pony like that, they were really beautiful, a bit like the Pixar, the quality was very nice, I would not like that the style becomes again like the G4 or other, another quality I do not know 

Anyway I can't wait to see how it's going to be, the wait is so long, they shouldn't have released the movie so early, I can't wait anymore, at least a preview