Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy (Definitive Edition)

Jon the VGNerd

Remember the original GTA Trilogy for the original consoles? Yeah, this one basically screwed the pooch, in more ways than one. Oh, what's that? Rockstar Games is innocent? Yeah, no. Time for a serious reality check; they're not as innocent as their parent company Take-Two Interactive. Especially since both gaming companies have been targeting the GTA modding community left and right, showing their total hatred for modding included in their older games altogether. By that I mean they're forcibly filing lawsuits against mod authors here and there to ensure that their older games, which also includes GTA V, mod-free (ironically, GTA Online is a massive cheater-fest on PC, with cheat menus being used and said cheaters get absolutely no comeuppance for this), or risk hefty fines and lawsuits by filing DMCAs against them.

The "Definitive Edition" (or so it says) is an absolute travesty in all the wrong ways, which also includes bugs and glitches that were shoved into the game, which also includes the atrocious draw distance for San Andreas, and character models from all three games look cartoon-y in such a bland manner. The worst part are the misspellings and unnecessary censorship being shoved in. Oh, you want to listen to your favorite music in all three games? Too bad! They removed them outright because they can't be bothered to renew the licensed songs, they'd rather be sitting on a throne filled with unspent dollars that had been accumulating in their big, corporate offices. Did I forget to mention that Rockstar Games hired the same, wrong gaming developer that's known for deliberately butchering the San Andreas "remaster" for the PS3 and 360? Yep, you guessed it right. They're back under the name Grove Street Games, because they consider it as a horrible insult to the original San Andreas, or even a mean-spirited joke.

And for GTA 3 and Vice City fans you're in luck, and a bad one at that: Claude and Tommy Vercetti still can't swim at all. Worse, the Saint Mark's area is still dangerous because if you're gonna complete a peculiar mission, you're pretty much dead meat (reference to the Sayonara Salvatore mission). And what about two-player for San Andreas, you ask? Yep, Rockstar Games removed that also, because they think having real-life friends play together are nonexistent. Yeah, go figure. They're not well-known for keeping promises, but don't take my word for it; Take-Two is basically the mastermind of all this. Though even then, Rockstar Games should've brought in Rockstar North instead of hiring an incompetent gaming dev, so basically, Rockstar Games are far from innocent themselves. Oh no, they're just as guilty as their parent company. Did I forget to mention that there's far too many wrong things with their "upgraded" graphics, even if they dt look genuinely amazing at first glance? The "Wasted" background is just an eyesore to look at.

I know what you're thinking, didn't Rockstar Games intervened and told Take-Two to let OpenIV be for people to use? Yeah, this isn't Rockstar Games showing their care to their loyal fans, this is Rockstar Games being pragmatic. They've basically long sided with Take-Two in going full-on anti-modding against the modding community one way or another. In other words, they have long joined the dark side.

Here's one video from TheProfessional of the features that should and shouldn't have included, yet the devs basically failed to keep those promises:

Oh yeah, in a totally unrelated note, Rockstar Games released their "Expanded & Enhanced" trailer for the PS5 and Series S/X not too long ago, which had garnered far more dislikes than likes which shows how out of touch they've become and never issued any and all apology to the fans. Meanwhile, Take-Two's CEO Strauss is enjoying watching all of those negative reactions because he knew that both the Expanded & Enhanced trailer, along with their GTA Trilogy being an absolute flop, would only give his company revenue and show off that greedy smile of his, showing that he's not ashamed of what he's done and isn't sorry about this at all. And here's two videos from LegacyKillaHD, and hoo boy, its gonna be a doozy (because Rockstar Games has fallen from grace and Take-Two Interactive is just relishing on all the hate):

It sucks that these are so poor remasters. I was really aching to finally have GTA on the Switch. The KOTOR rerelease came out around the same time and it that was fantastic 

41 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

A shame, really. I was looking forward for that game :dry:. Man, I’d rather waste money on a WII remaster (Skyward Sword) over this :scoots:

At least Skyward Sword HD has the decency of being a functioning game. I know that’s not a high bar but too many remasters have been coming out in a real poor state as of late 

19 minutes ago, Megas said:

It sucks that these are so poor remasters. I was really aching to finally have GTA on the Switch. The KOTOR rerelease came out around the same time and it that was fantastic 

At least Skyward Sword HD has the decency of being a functioning game. I know that’s not a high bar but too many remasters have been coming out in a real poor state as of late 

Still not getting SS because it’s a WII game, AND it was the last OOT-obsessed Zelda :scoots:. I would have played it if my brother was paying for it, but it appears he lost interest, and I’m wasting for no WII game anymore 

Here's Rockstar Games' pathetic apology attempt found in this link.

Note how they mentioned nothing about their constant aggression towards the GTA modding community, hence their pathetic apology and mentioning nothing about said modding community.

I heard that these remasters became an instant disaster and it's a shame that it ended up happening this way. You'd think more effort could've been done to ensure a better product but I suppose gamers aren't allowed to have nice things.

I've been playing through 3, Vice City and I started a little bit of San Andreas. While I don't think they are unplayable nightmares by any means, the remasters have so many different issues many of which are obvious by this point. GTA 3 in particular has aged so, so poorly and it could have used the so called "modernizations" they said they were going to do, but the three games are barely modernized. They still have outdated mechanics out the wazoo and personally that to me is the biggest sin. There's so many little things they could have done. Being able to swim in the first two games, wanted level decreasing over time (it never decreases on its own once you hit two stars), health pickups healing your vehicle (like in GTA IV), actual free aim as an option without having to fire your gun, being able to flip your car over again like in GTA V, little things like this would help these titles not show their age so much. They also screwed some minor things up like cars exploding way too damn fast.

I do think there are positives for sure, the lighting and reflections are mostly fantastic and the texture work is solid, as long as they aren't going nuts. I am glad the team seems quick to want to update the games to help fix issues, unlike Battlefield 2042 which has just been a total train wreck. I gave up on GTA 3 as it is infuriating to play these days, but I am enjoying Vice City despite its aging skeleton. 

Even with mods, GTA3 did not age too well. The game is like polishing something that constantly rusts - there's too many glaring faults in hindsight.

I'll get the Trilogy one of these days when it's on sale - as of right now, the $60 USD price tag is a bit much with its bugs. I'll hold out until a price drop.

I have played GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas on PC when they came out. Fun games for the time, though if I wanted to play them again, I would just find the old copies and an appropriate PC (if they need Windows XP or whatever).