Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

phantompone1148

I think there were a few good interviews on YouTube where this was discussed, or especially what Lauren Faust did when she was asked to reboot MLP. She really had a creative roll, and her name is shown in every intro title sequence throughout FIM. That can't be forgotten, even if more recent Bronies didn't find the show while she was still active in the development of the story, her legacy was there.

A lot of the modern post Season 4 had a lot of more grown-up target stories for MLP, and most of the staff for the show was already understanding the fans more than Lauren Faust ever was. But it wouldn't have gotten that far without her creating the initial story and characters (together with the Internet, 4chan, and the big conversions). Basically, Internet did a thing, and not Lauren Faust.

More or less, we would have gotten something like Filly Funtasia for G4 without Lauren Faust, I believe. Something that would attract some people (and trust me, Filly Funtasia did), but not such a wide phenomena like FIM. Lauren Faust didn't target just little girls, and that was the thing. She was also good at character design, and had the experience to get MLP done right.

Did FIM reach its full potential? No, it was about to, as it was about 80% there when Hasbro started shutting down YouTube channels, kicked out Lauren Faust, pasted wings on poor Twilight Sparkle, cut Season 3 in half, and gave birth to Equestria Girls (which doesn't have the Friendship Is Magic brand at all, just all the characters taken from Lauren Faust).

Where did it end? It ended with the show Pony Life, and was it good? Was it the true vision of Lauren Faust? I don't think so

• Brohoof 4

@Splashee brings up some excellent points. You see, if you read my profile, I joined in October 2012, right when Season 3 was about to take flight. I was able to cram in all of Season 1 and Season 2, and right there, I noticed a huge difference. See, if Faust stayed, I solidly believe we would've had an advocate for endorsing fanworks such as Fighting Is Magic or other huge projects. and Twilicorn would've been saved for much later seasons (and Rainbow Dash would almost certainly get the perfect Wonderbolt episode). Right when Faust left, Hasbro immediately started to put the show in overdrive in a bad way. Twilicorn and Rainbow Power are two excellent examples of how Hasbros high-speed toy line promotion put a damper on the quality of the show . 

But we always have to thank Faust for literally resurrecting MLP from the deep grave. 

• Brohoof 5

Think of the name, "Lauren Faust." She's a trusted name, and her well-earned reputation (in some respects) carried over to FIM. Hasbro trusted Faust to retool it after showing her Princess Promenade. Because Hasbro wanted to improve MLP, the folks carrying it and its direction would've been much more different.

Without Faust, would G4 be a return to MLP's family-friendly roots of the 1980s? Probably.

Do I think it would've gone as popular as it did and reach anywhere close to nine seasons? Unfortunately, I don't.

• Brohoof 2

G4 definitely wouldn’t have been as big as it was. We don’t know what would have happened to the franchise if she didn’t step in. Would it go back to the more adventurous G1? Would it have been more fashion and tea parties? Would it have been a complete swerve? Who knows? But I do things at the very least would have been much more different 

6 hours ago, Courageous Thunder Dash said:

(and Rainbow Dash would almost certainly get the perfect Wonderbolt episode)

While I think RD suffers the most from Faust’s departure, I doubt she would have even become a WB. According to the pitch bible, it sounded like they were going to have a much different endgame for her(guessing either her own flying team or Royal Guard captain)

• Brohoof 2

Considering how noteworthy she is and her involvement being one of the initial main drivers for the expansion of the brony movement, I'd say that it wouldn't be anywhere near as popular and recognized as it is. Although it still managed to attract a sizeable number of fans even after she left, and the quality and character development improved over time, the series is still a continuation of her influence. 

Well this article wouldn't be a thing...and it's one of a few citing Faust and Hasbro and saying "this is the end for creative cartoons"

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/ideas-commentary/the-end-of-the-creator-driven-era-29614.html

...and its articles like this that made the internet want to see it, some to watch MLP:Fim Fail and others to see it succeed. 

• Brohoof 1

lf she hadn't then G4 would've become something completely different. This isn't necessarily a bad thing mind you as what we got was very good and broke a lot of barriers that had previously been unbreakable beforehand.

• Brohoof 1

Then MLP would've been the same level of quality of Newborn Cuties.

In all seriousness, things would've been completely different if Faust wasn't involved.

I mean, you can say whatever you want about Faust, I don't care, but you gotta admit, without her, we wouldn't have Friendship is Magic, period. Sure, there are other people as well, but still.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...