Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP: FiM is leaving Netflix in January.

CastletonSnob

Why doesn't Hasbro get more criticism for making MLP: FiM less accessible? Between not releasing Seasons 8-9 on physical media, putting Season 9 on Hulu instead of Netflix, never releasing the Friendship is Forever clipshow episodes outside of Australia, not making an MLP: FiM: The Complete Series DVD/Blu-Ray, taking down sites that allow people to watch the show, and letting the show leave Netflix, the streaming service with BY FAR the most subscribers, why aren't more people calling out Hasbro on their decisions?

• Brohoof 3

I really don't like it. I'm not totally sure how to respond here cause I really need my daily ponies. 

1 hour ago, Pentium100 said:

Like some people said, I hope G4 gets a bluray box set. I don't use Netflix so the removal does not really affect me. If Netflix was my only way to watch MLP G4, I would now be ordering a big box of video tapes.

Yep, let's hope for it

7 minutes ago, Fluttershutter said:

This is why people shouldn't depend entirely on streaming sites. You need disks and free sites.

They don't need to "make room" for G5, they just don't want to keep paying for both.

You're right this is financial decision not a technical. 

• Brohoof 2

The good news is that Netflix does in fact remove a messed up collection of G4. No Season 9, no perfect version of Equestria Girls Forgotten Friendship.

But where do people get to know and fall in love with G4 now?

• Brohoof 1

55 minutes ago, Splashee said:

The good news is that Netflix does in fact remove a messed up collection of G4. No Season 9, no perfect version of Equestria Girls Forgotten Friendship.

Guess all that’s left is DVDs

9 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

lt is what it is. Perhaps this means getting that elusive DVD collection that includes every season and episode along with some special features to sweeten the deal.

I hope so! I’d love a fancy dvd set.

Well, that's unfortunate, but not too much of a surprise. I barely used Netflix for anything besides one or two shows I liked, and I didn't watch FiM on Netflix since 1) I already seen the show thousands of times already (well for S1 and 2, and some of 5 anyway) and 2) knowing that show went down, I'm not gonna bother watching it again.

Plus, there's alternatives way to check out FiM than just Netflix, so to me, it's not a big deal.

• Brohoof 1

That’s too bad.  Without a well-used streaming platform, MLP:FiM is going to have an even harder time drawing new fans.  Like Hawks said, I don’t rewatch often, but I liked it being available on Netflix when I wanted to. 

• Brohoof 1

Thankfully I have all the DVDs and BluRays, but that only covers seasons 1-7 of the show, the four major EQG films and Magical Movie Night, along with the FiM Movie.  That still leaves quite a bit that never got an official release.  Thank goodness for sites like watchcartoononline.com.  I do hope the remainder of FiM will get released in some capacity, and I would re-buy the series if it gets released on BluRay.  

• Brohoof 1

13 hours ago, Splashee said:

DVD collections but even this isn't perfect as not everything got released in this manner or at all.

Gee, that sucks. I never used Netflix to watch FiM anyways, but considering how big of a service it is, it definitely feels like a bit of blow.

After reflecting on this matter further, I think this decision is also going to have other adverse effects.  Anyone who greatly prefers FiM to ANG is only going to be more unhappy with the very existence of ANG due to it preempting FiM, at least on Netflix.  That can actually make certain people less inclined to check out the new series, and at worst, could fuel a rift between fans of FiM and ANG.  I like to think that Bronies are at least a little better than some fandoms in that they won't erupt into WWIII, but the fandom has certainly changed since I was most active in it and I really can't say for sure that it won't come to that.  Sure, there will likely always be people who are fans of both, and there will likely be people who can like one while still accepting fans of the other.  I sincerely hope they constitute the majority as I've always respected Bronies for being especially open and accepting.  Also, building a wall between one another would go against the message of both series.  Still, splitting fandoms never goes well in my experience.  Let's hope there won't be serious fallout from FiM's removal from Netflix.  

Not really a big loss, seeing as I stopped watching MLP on Netflix before the pandemic started. Because 1) I knew the show would be taken down someday soon, and 2) I already have seasons 1-5 backed up to a flash drive. 

Because when a show or movie leaves Netflix or other streaming platform, like something posted on the internet, it doesn't "go away" forever, it becomes accessible by other means.

Edited by Sasoriman

Thank goodness we have MLP France:mlp_smile:

No, but seriously, this is bad. Here in my country we only had a couple of seasons available in the first place. We never got Season 9 in any streaming platform as far as I know.

I totally support the idea of the whole series (along with the movies, specials and shorts) being released on Blu-Ray/DVD. I think they could release the complete soundtrack in physical formats as well. I would love a cassette of that! It'd be wonderful. They're sleeping on a good amount of money here. :dash:

It's a very sad and infuriating thing.

On 2021-12-16 at 9:38 AM, CastletonSnob said:

never releasing the Friendship is Forever clipshow episodes outside of Australia

What?!

• Brohoof 1