Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why was FIM Season 9 so controversial?

phantompone1148

I do not get why the 9th season was so mixed. I thought it made prefect sense to go down the path it did. The entire point of Twilight's arc was to become something greater than what she once was. Before you say "Luna & Celestia are immortal", it is NOT true. A Twitter post my Meghan McCarthy confirms this. Alicorns aren't immortal, they can just live longer than the average pony.

• Brohoof 1

It was so controversial due to the fact that people thought that FIM would last 10 seasons and maybe beyond. The fandom was shocked at the news and hoped that the writers could and would provide the fandom with a sendoff they would never forget. There were episodes in Season 9 that didn't make the cut (I'm looking at you The Last Crusade and Growing Up is Hard To Do) but with so little time and the hopes of closing out all the arcs that were made throughout the show, it was a stresser. Hence why S9 was so controversial because the writers literally tried to cram so much in because they had gaps to fill, which could've taken at least 1 more season to do so. 

Let's just say that certain ideas didn't go over very well with fans such as the plot twist that occurred during the two part episode that preceded the series finale. lt also didn't help that Hasbro chose to end the series after nine seasons due to no longer having any faith in it.

• Brohoof 2

Being someone who believes the quality of most of the episodes in Season 9 was good and would agree that Twilight's journey ending like it did made sense, that is not the reason for the controversial nature of Season 9. Season 9 is filled with "filler" episodes that could have easily been replaced by episodes that developed the show's last season arc better. The final season arc is complete and utter crap in the eyes of many fans for this reason, even disregarding the controversial bait-and-switch twist that ruined Discord's character for many. 

• Brohoof 4

There's multiple reasons. The fact that it became very rushed because they were trying to wrap up all the characters' stories at the same time but they'd painted themselves into a corner by having so many. Not to mention the way they kind of forced the idea of being ruler onto Twilight, and gave us the stupidest twist of the entire series with the Grogar thing. (I'll never forgive Discord for that.)

I know people like it but I really hate the ending. The song is beautiful but seeing the Mane Six being forced apart from each other for no reason when just one episode ago, they were talking about always being together, really hurt. That went against everything about their friendship for me. Seeing them getting old was very depressing as well. 

I know there are other reasons that other people can probably explain better than me but those ones were mine.

Edited by TomDaBombMLP
  • Brohoof 2

It depends on perspective. I didn't see it as controversial myself, tho I can see why some would. My only real issue was that it was getting obvious that ideas were running dry and that certain episodes just felt more like they belonged to earlier seasons. The quality was somewhat up and down.

That said; we had a number of monumental episodes and lovely ending, so personally, I enjoyed it.

• Brohoof 2

It was supposed to last season that was supposed to wrap this story up and tying up all the loose ends and have a satisfying conclusion, but instead we get an extended version of Season 8.

I could on about so many things wrong in Season 9, but I'm not even gonna bother.

• Brohoof 2

11 minutes ago, JMTV99 said:

It was supposed to last season that was supposed to wrap this story up and tying up all the loose ends and have a satisfying conclusion, but instead we get an extended version of Season 8.

I could on about so many things wrong in Season 9, but I'm not even gonna bother.

I agree. It was the final season, yet it was plagued by filler episodes :dry:

• Brohoof 5

It's the final season so of course it's controversial. It has to give every character some kind of wrap up episode and has to finish up a lot of arcs. Also Twilight becoming ruler of Equestria brings up a lot of the same controversy that Twilight becoming an alicorn did. 

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-12-24 at 1:42 PM, phantompone1148 said:

Why?

Quality wise it has no business being the final season of the show. The Grogar twist was so damaging, it not only completely ruins Discord's character it retroactively ruins all the episodes what were critical to the season's main plot. The final season was massively hyped by both staff and Discovery Family yet the season really comes off like they didn't care at all about it. I really hate to use the word "filler" especially for a show who's biggest focus is on smaller slice of life stuff, but the staff talked about how they couldn't wrap up everything yet there are soooo many episodes in this season that not only had no business being in this season, they have no business existing(246Great, Daring Doubt, Uprooted, She's All Yak, just to name a few). Some major pay offs felt completely satisfied(The main arc+Twilight's ascension+Princess's retirement, Scootaloo's parents). Tons of moments in the season where it felt like they were actively trying to destroy the shows characters with certain episodes(the aforementioned Discord, other examples include 246Great for RD, Dragon Dropped for Rarity), and incredibly undeserved developments such as redeeming characters that were completely unearned(or outright damaging to the show in case of Daring Doubt). Many say it feels like an extension of  season 8 but I actually liked season 8, and there where, save for a couple of exceptions, I feel most of the episodes that mattered actually delivered.

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 5

Season 9 was odd. It was focusing on Twilight moving away from Ponyville, and for her to take over the leadership of the entire Equestria. But at the same time, no one really cared about who took care of Equestria. The focus on the school of friendship and the student 6 didn't really have any effect in the end. It also felt very forced to watch Twilight having to take over without actually wanting to take over? Why can't she just say no? That was just too forced to me. Also, did she become double Princess or something, because she became a princess in Season 3 if I remember correctly?

• Brohoof 3

2 minutes ago, Splashee said:

Season 9 was odd. It was focusing on Twilight moving away from Ponyville, and for her to take over the leadership of the entire Equestria. But at the same time, no one really cared about who took care of Equestria. The focus on the school of friendship and the student 6 didn't really have any effect in the end. It also felt very forced to watch Twilight having to take over without actually wanting to take over? Why can't she just say no? That was just too forced to me. Also, did she become double Princess or something, because she became a princess in Season 3 if I remember correctly?

The whole idea is stupid, Twilight is the princess of friendship, her having a castle in Ponyville works because she lives among the people and can help ponies with their problems there

• Brohoof 4

1 minute ago, xLuneti said:

The whole idea is stupid, Twilight is the princess of friendship, her having a castle in Ponyville works because she lives among the people and can help ponies with their problems there

Absolutely.

Season 9 however, forced her to become a leader of an entire world, but did she ever ask for it? Was it her main goal in life? Season 9 certainly thought so, and I think it made that season really odd, and slightly controversial :awwthanks:

• Brohoof 4

35 minutes ago, Splashee said:

Absolutely.

Season 9 however, forced her to become a leader of an entire world, but did she ever ask for it? Was it her main goal in life? Season 9 certainly thought so, and I think it made that season really odd, and slightly controversial :awwthanks:

It was so clear that she didn’t want to so they absolutely just forced her into it and to live away from her friends! Twi, I know Celestia and Luna are your mentors but can you just say no?!

• Brohoof 4

As many have said, it showed that Discord is still the same conniving puppeteer he was when he first showed up and that he doesn't see anyone other than the Mane Six as people. 

For me, it was the wasted potential. They brought back Grogar, gave him a cool design, nice theme song, and a badass backstory, and then decided not to use him at all and ruin Discord's character at the same time. 

The most painful of all to me was the Legion of Doom. The writers had what could've been the most thought out, organic redemption story of the whole series and wasted that as well. They thought people hated redemptions, but the real problem was that those redemptions were always rushed. They had a whole season showing the Legion growing closer to one another and working together, making us like them and hoping they might have a happy ending, and then decided that subverting expectations was more important than good storytelling. 

• Brohoof 2