Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is the G5 Series gonna stay with the 3D like in the movie or switch to 2D?

phantompone1148

Honestly, I wouldn't even mind seeing them in 3D still. :P I liked the animation in the movie a lot, so I'm hoping that the jump from 3D-2D won't be an awkward one.

With that said, they're probably gonna do 2D animation.

They've takes full work on it since around 2019, I only expect the movie to be in CG and the show to be in 2D. Making the movie was already enough, but the entire series? If they wanted to make even a season it would take years. So, definitely a 2D show.

• Brohoof 1

If they make it 3D, it will clearly be a distinction between older generations and G5. It doesn't seem like the 3D made G5 any less popular, so I would go with 3D. I mean, they already have the world and models from the movie, so why recreate the entire G5?

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like it could go either way with Hasbro, but I hope that the series will end up having 2D animation. While the 3D animation of the movie looked pretty good, I highly doubt that a series would be able to have that same level of animation due to having to spread the budget out amongst many episodes. Plus, I just tend to prefer 2D animation over 3D animation and I feel like the pony character models themselves look better in 2D. Add to that that 2D animation works very well for merchandising, and I think it would overall be a good decision for the series to have 2D animation.

On 21/1/2022 at 21:03, Landi said:

Además, tiendo a preferir la animación 2D a la animación 3D y siento que los modelos de personajes de ponis se ven mejor en 2D. Agregue a eso que la animación 2D funciona muy bien para la comercialización, y creo que, en general, sería una buena decisión que la serie tuviera animación 2D.

And... That's right. I am not a big fan of 3D Ponies (and that kind of animation in general), because I feel like some details are lost.

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-01-10 at 7:40 PM, Splashee said:

If they make it 3D, it will clearly be a distinction between older generations and G5. It doesn't seem like the 3D made G5 any less popular, so I would go with 3D. I mean, they already have the world and models from the movie, so why recreate the entire G5?

G3 was also originally in 3D and animated in Maya, but nobody seems to remember that. It also seems like the G5 movie didn't have that much of a high budget for the 3D animation and yet managed to look good, they stated in multiple interviews that they couldn't afford making clothing for the ponies as it would have cost them too much, yet low-budget productions like Paw Patrol can afford those, so I don't see why Hasbro shouldn't invest more into it considering 3D is the way to go for long series nowadays when you want a low allover production cost as you only need to make the models once.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...
On 2022-01-23 at 6:47 AM, ichigomomomya said:

but nobody seems to remember that

Did it look any good? 3D at that era must have been horrible.

TyT ended up in 2D, and I take it all back. I prefer the 3D. I didn't know they could screw up the 2D designs so much.

On 2022-01-23 at 12:47 AM, ichigomomomya said:

G3 was also originally in 3D and animated in Maya, but nobody seems to remember that. It also seems like the G5 movie didn't have that much of a high budget for the 3D animation and yet managed to look good, they stated in multiple interviews that they couldn't afford making clothing for the ponies as it would have cost them too much, yet low-budget productions like Paw Patrol can afford those, so I don't see why Hasbro shouldn't invest more into it considering 3D is the way to go for long series nowadays when you want a low allover production cost as you only need to make the models once.

I have a feeling the studio didn't have plans to make the actual show or movies in Maya since the 3D was only ever used in promotional material and video games. Even though the 2D animation wasn't all that great either, I'm glad they didn't stick with 3D since it's easy for bad 3D to look creepy.

I am mixed on whether G5 is better in 3D or 2D now. It all comes down to budget, really. I will enjoy whatever had the most effort put into it (man, I miss the 3D from the movie!).