Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc OOC: Champions of Celestia

Silly Druid

CHAMPIONS OF CELESTIA

2761294.png
image source

Welcome to Medieval Equestria. It's 500 years since Luna's banishment, so we're in the middle of the long period of Celestia's sole reign. Despite the stable government and lack of major villain attacks, there are still some issues the princess needs to take care of. And she wants YOU to help her with that.

I'm looking for players for this RP I'm planning. Here are some things you should know about it:

1. It will use some simple tabletop mechanics. You don't have to worry about that now, I will take care of it, and tell you what you need to do to create and level up your character. Here is a summary of the system, the same as I posted earlier in a status update:

Spoiler

You will have 4 attributes (Strength, Agility, Intellect, Charm), and up to 6 skills (which you choose yourself, except one depending on your race). The value of attributes and skills ranges from 3 to 10. During the game, you will take tests, by rolling a die with a number of sides equal to that value (d3 to d10), and if you reach the value required by the difficulty of the test, you succeed. Also you have 2 more statistics: Stamina (the initial value is Strength + Agility) and Willpower (Intellect + Charm), that serve as "hit points" that you can lose due to various events during the game. Between adventures, you will regain Stamina and Willpower, and you will be able to level up your character by increasing the attribute and skill values. That's pretty much it, I don't want the mechanics to be too complex so we can focus on the story instead of "doing the math".

2. I will not be playing as a party member, I'm the game master only.

3. The technology is at a medieval level, so things like trains or airships don't exist yet.

4. The only canon character that appears in the story is Princess Celestia.

5. It will consist of multiple chapters, each being a specific task given to you by the princess. I'm aiming for a wide variety of adventures.

6. All things related to the game mechanics will happen in the same thread as the story (I will post all the game mechanics messages in italics).

If you want to apply, all I need for now is some basic info about your character, it can be a link to its profile if you're using the forum's character system, or some other kind of reference. If there are enough players interested (I need at least 2, but the more the merrier), I will start it in about a week from now. If you have any questions of suggestions, you're welcome to post them here.

Edited by PawelS
  • Brohoof 1

Yay :) would love to join in with this. Here is the adjusted Mango, but happy to tweak anything as needed:

Suggested ability scores 

(Charm) 8

(Strength) 6

(Agility) 6

(Mental skill) 4

Stamina: 12

Willpower: 12

Suggested skills

Persuasion

Performance

Sleight of hoof

Fly

Acrobatics

Pony sense

Suggested backstory

As a young filly, Mango lived with her parents (a mixed earth/pegasi couple) at the base of Canterlot Mountain, flapping her vivid orange wings as she darted and dived around the rivers and roads leading to the young pony capital. Her homestead, which the family named 'Zephyr Heights', is a little part-brick-part-cloud-home that looked out to the Equestrian skies - when she was born there was a vivid orange sunset which is her namesake: Mango Eve. 

One day when Mango was Mango's parents were taken by a stray Roc from Zephyr Heights - it swooped down and would have carried Mango off too if her pony sense (wing flap, ear flutter) hadn't warned her just in time. She sought ponies to help find her parents but it was to to no avail. She mourned them and misses them still but does not mope, believing the best way to honour their memory to be to accept the winds of fate, as they taught her to, and to always be looking forward (albeit she always now has one eye also on the sky. 

At times of sadness, Mango loves to flap over Equestrias roads and waterways - the sound reminding her of her happy foalhood. Mango is a carefree mare and was slow to pick up a skill-set, but she enjoys singing and play-acting and considers herself to be something of an actress. Her short period of fending for herself has caused her to grow up a bit and she is not above taking advantage of a pony for bits so that she can get by.

• Brohoof 1

@abrony-mouse Thank you, that's an interesting character to have in this RP, these skills will surely be useful.

My system works a little different than Tails of Equestria, so the starting attribute scores are lower than the ones you posted. As for skills, you have 3 of them at the start (racial, cutie mark, and an extra one), but you can learn more as you level up. You don't need to worry about that for now, we will get to the character creation part later. :mlp_smile:

I have a question: Does she still live in Zephyr Heights? (Interesting name choice, by the way.)

• Brohoof 1

That's fine - will adjust them as needed once we do character creation.

heh Mango will always be connected to Zephyr heights one way or the other :P but she is not there right now - she's travelling around Equestria 

• Brohoof 1

I am interested, but I'll need all the help setting up my character for this and understanding the ins and outs of how to play. Never done anything like this before.

My OC is Samurai Equine, an asian-style soldier and royal guard who obeys orders from Princess Celestia above all others. He hails from the land of Japone.

He is a unicorn, a swordspony, and a fire mage. His magic and his attacks are fire-based. He typically wears armor into battle. 

4 attributes and up to 6 skills... Attribute value level between 3 and 10... I'm not sure I understand. Am I suppose to assign numbers myself? Is there a pattern or a limit that I'm suppose to observe? I doubt you'd want everyone to start off at level 10 on all attributes.

• Brohoof 2

names: Ku•ya

race: Earth Pony

cutiemark: heart with a plus sign 

strength:18

dexterity:14 

wisdom: 16

intelligence: 12

charisma: 10

prefers the tank role 

has street wise 

a big brother kinda guy. 

athleticism is okay.

his cutie mark represent resilience and quick regeneration.

kinda slow to move. but once this truck accelerate, it's hard to stop.

sketch-1641553415304.jpg

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Toshigami Equine said:

I am interested, but I'll need all the help setting up my character for this and understanding the ins and outs of how to play. Never done anything like this before.

My OC is Samurai Equine, an asian-style soldier and royal guard who obeys orders from Princess Celestia above all others. He hails from the land of Japone.

He is a unicorn, a swordspony, and a fire mage. His magic and his attacks are fire-based. He typically wears armor into battle. 

4 attributes and up to 6 skills... Attribute value level between 3 and 10... I'm not sure I understand. Am I suppose to assign numbers myself? Is there a pattern or a limit that I'm suppose to observe? I doubt you'd want everyone to start off at level 10 on all attributes.

in DnD fashion 

strength: is how much you can carry and how strong you swing at things.:mlp_smug:

dexterity: is accuracy and how often you trip or fall.B)

wisdom: is usually street smarts and if one can guess the riddle and what not.:P

intelligence has to do with magic.:yeahno:

and charisma makes you agreeable.... like if you ask someone to give them your money and your charisma  is 50 they're give you their money and clothes.

also this makes your character irresistible and sexy.:pout:

• Brohoof 1

@Toshigami Equine Thank you, we'll get to assigning the stats at the beginning of the RP (these things will be done in the in-character thread, not here). Basically you'll have the base stats depending on your race, and you will be able to add 2 points to your attributes, and choose 2 starting skills (one skill is determined by the race, so you will have 3 at the start). On each level up, you will get 1 more point for attributes, and 2 for skills (increasing existing ones, or getting new ones).

What I want to know is where Samurai is at the beginning of the RP, because if he is a Royal Guard and is already in the castle, then the beginning of the story will be a little different for him.

@Kujamih It's not like full DnD, it's much more simple, but the general idea is similar: things you do can succeed or fail depending on your stats and dice rolls. This makes it more unpredictable than normal RPs, and you'll have to adapt your strategies to the situation that arises. Standard RP is more like telling a story, and this is more like playing a game. Also there are only 4 base stats, Wisdom and Intelligence are combined into one, and Charisma is called Charm.

@Ocean Wavedream We talked over Discord, so I assume you want to join too. If so, we'll have 4 players. I have some other plans for the weekend, so the RP will start on Monday.

@Kujamih We start on Monday. As for the dice rolls, I'll do it for you using an online service. This will make the RP faster, because otherwise it will look like this: you post what you do, I ask you to roll a die, you will tell me the result, and I will tell you what happens. It takes 4 posts to do all this, and when we're not online at the same time, it will take a long time. So it will be like this: you post what you do, and I post the result of your roll and its effect in game, so it's only 2 posts.

The number of sides is the same as the value of the attribute/skill you're using, and these range from 3 to 10, so some of the rolls will use non-standard dice, like d3, d5, d7 and d9.

• Brohoof 1

20 hours ago, Kujamih said:

@Toshigami Equine your character is pretty much hybrid. your stats are all 14.

balanced.

just like nature. the swing of the blade ..... ying and yang...

You're too kind, my friend. :Daydreaming:

20 hours ago, PawelS said:

@Toshigami Equine Thank you, we'll get to assigning the stats at the beginning of the RP (these things will be done in the in-character thread, not here). Basically you'll have the base stats depending on your race, and you will be able to add 2 points to your attributes, and choose 2 starting skills (one skill is determined by the race, so you will have 3 at the start). On each level up, you will get 1 more point for attributes, and 2 for skills (increasing existing ones, or getting new ones).

What I want to know is where Samurai is at the beginning of the RP, because if he is a Royal Guard and is already in the castle, then the beginning of the story will be a little different for him.

All right. Let me know when you have the in-character thread up.

As for where he is, that might be up to you to decide. Most of his time is spent protecting Japone, the Asian part of Equestria. However, he obeys the orders of Celestia above all others. If she has requested his presence for any reason, he'll be there immediately. If she wants to send him official orders through the mail rather than set up a meeting, that's perfectly fine too. It's often expected, really.

• Brohoof 1

14 hours ago, Samurai Equine said:

You're too kind, my friend. :Daydreaming:

All right. Let me know when you have the in-character thread up.

As for where he is, that might be up to you to decide. Most of his time is spent protecting Japone, the Asian part of Equestria. However, he obeys the orders of Celestia above all others. If she has requested his presence for any reason, he'll be there immediately. If she wants to send him official orders through the mail rather than set up a meeting, that's perfectly fine too. It's often expected, really.

it's niponie....:maud:

or was it neighpon....

neighponie...

Edited by Kujamih
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I posted some detailed information about my system here:

You can read it if you want to prepare for the start of this RP tomorrow.

Edited by PawelS
  • Brohoof 1

kuya, lvl1

earth pony 

Main stats.

STR=4

AGI=3

INT= 3

CHA= 4+2

Sub stats

Sta.= 7

WP=9

skills:

1. Inner Strength: explained in the reference guide*

2.Pony Sense: .....? @PawelS ?

3.Healing: .....? @PawelS ?

4. Second Wind: gain back half the max stamina when reaching zero (once). resets when [resting\sleeping] for the "whole {night}." undisturbed. *if so will attack the waker of dreams*

5. Horse Up: when receiving buffs or stamina or cancelling a de buff or a bad situation, gain 1 stamina.

6. Quick Movement: adds INT stat to AGI. but lose 2 stamina in doing so.

• Brohoof 2

Okay, if I understand the system correctly...

Attributes:

4-4-4-4

Although if I could make request, I'd like to subtract a point from Intelligence and give it to Charm. Samurai Equine isn't dumb, but he focuses more of his education on magic and battle skills, not so much a broader range of knowledge. I'd say he has charm because he's a character with a big heart. Feel free to reject the request. It just feels right to me.

---------------------------------------

Energy:

Max Stamina is 8; Max Willpower is also 8. Makes sense, I guess. He is rather defined by his fighting spirit and his ability to never give up.
He's the the kind of pony that would keep finding the will to stand up and keep fighting, no matter how badly hurt he gets.

Skills:

Unicorn (4), Magic (3), Fighting/Combat (2), Teleporting (1), Magic Sense/Magic Detection (1). Not sure if Weapon Mastery would be a skill as well, or if it would be an extension of the physical Figthing/Combat skill, so please let me know. I hated to give Fighting/Combat a lesser number, would have preferred to make it even with Magic, but I suppose my OC would know way more ways to magically use, summon, and/or manipulate fire than he would fighting skills (he is basically a fire mage).

Did I set the values correctly?

Edited by Samurai Equine
  • Brohoof 1

@Kujamih

Pony Sense allows you to predict that something bad will happen to you and to avoid it.

Healing is the ability to make any member of the party regain some Stamina and cure some harmful effects like poisons. One use per rest.

I assume Pony Sense is your cutie mark skill and Healing is your extra skill, is that correct? (You will be able to learn more skills on level up.)

@Samurai Equine

Attributes: OK, I will make it 4-4-3-5.

Skills:

"Unicorn" is actually Telekinesis (moving things with magic), that's what most unicorns can do. (Let me know if Samurai shouldn't be able to do that.)
I think Magic is too general, can I change it to Fire Magic?
You will be able to increase the skill values on level up, so it will be possible to make them even.
You have only 3 skills at start, so the other ones you mentioned you will be able to learn on level up. Weapon Mastery is OK.

I will start the RP soon. In the first post you'll see your current stats, and I'll update them when they change.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Kujamih said:

@PawelS I know abit about samurai equine. he is more of a sword mage... he enchants fire on his weapon and cast some basic fire bolt I guess...... he is more sword though telekinesis can help with his weapon reach.... 🤔

oh a JEDI..... What do you think of "Padawan Equine" ey @Samurai Equine:mlp_smug::toldya:

• Brohoof 1

Yay RP live - here is the final mango

Mango Eve

Ability scores 

(Charm) 5

(Strength) 3

(Agility) 5

(Mental skill) 3

Stamina: 8

Willpower: 8

Skills

Racial: Flight 4

Cutie mark: Pony sense 4

Acrobatics 4

Suggested backstory

As a young filly, Mango lived with her parents (a mixed earth/pegasi couple) at the base of Canterlot Mountain, flapping her vivid orange wings as she darted and dived around the rivers and roads leading to the young pony capital. Her homestead, which the family named 'Zephyr Heights', is a little part-brick-part-cloud-home that looked out to the Equestrian skies - when she was born there was a vivid orange sunset which is her namesake: Mango Eve. 

One day when Mango was Mango's parents were taken by a stray Roc from Zephyr Heights - it swooped down and would have carried Mango off too if her pony sense (wing flap, ear flutter) hadn't warned her just in time. She sought ponies to help find her parents but it was to to no avail. She mourned them and misses them still but does not mope, believing the best way to honour their memory to be to accept the winds of fate, as they taught her to, and to always be looking forward (albeit she always now has one eye also on the sky. 

At times of sadness, Mango loves to flap over Equestria's roads and waterways - the sound reminding her of her happy foalhood. Mango is a carefree mare and was slow to pick up a skill-set, but she enjoys singing and play-acting and considers herself to be something of an actress. Her short period of fending for herself has caused her to grow up a bit and she is not above taking advantage of a pony for bits so that she can get by.

• Brohoof 1