Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Not 1000 years between G4 and G5.

eventyraren

You know I don't think it has been That long between G4 and G5. Maby just some 300 years. G4 tecnology was on pare with the Industrial Revolution That started in the mid 1700. So it has not been That long.

• Brohoof 4

G4 had a medieval-esque setting that had all sorts of intentional anachronisms from the modern age, like an arcade machine. I'm pretty sure that you are not supposed to be able to measure the exact time period of when G4 takes place. However, it's still very possible for the time gap between G4 and G5 to be about 1,000 years. Not just because of technology, but because of how much of Equestria has changed socially. A LOT had to have happened over a long time for Equestria to go from "friendship is magic" to the complete opposite. 

• Brohoof 3

I thought the 1000 years thing was a direct quote since the movie release?

I still haven't seen it yet, but if it's never been directly mentioned then I am extremely confused as to how this hasn't been brought up sooner :blink:

• Brohoof 4

Part of me is glad the time gap is still ambiguous. Everyone enjoys the thrill of having figured stuff like that out yourself. 

Naturally we need to learn at some point how things changed so much when we left G4, but until it's important it's exciting to keep guessing.

• Brohoof 3

18 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

I thought the 1000 years thing was a direct quote since the movie release?

No it is never said how long it has been. Also Hops Hallo lost all its coller in less then 1 h, and it took Cosy Glow 3 days to drain all the magic in the world. We just want it to be 1000 years. 

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, CloudMistDragon said:

G4 had a medieval-esque setting that had all sorts of intentional anachronisms from the modern age, like an arcade machine. I'm pretty sure that you are not supposed to be able to measure the exact time period of when G4 takes place. However, it's still very possible for the time gap between G4 and G5 to be about 1,000 years. Not just because of technology, but because of how much of Equestria has changed socially. A LOT had to have happened over a long time for Equestria to go from "friendship is magic" to the complete opposite. 

There's also the matter that all the stuff that looks unusually advanced was powered by magic (the staff said as much). Losing magic would have forced them to redo much of their technology from scratch.

• Brohoof 5

27 minutes ago, HedonismBot said:

There's also the matter that all the stuff that looks unusually advanced was powered by magic (the staff said as much). Losing magic would have forced them to redo much of their technology from scratch.

Very true. Actually, that could also mean magic will be less common among unicorns if electricity can do more for them. It takes skill to use magic but not electronics.

• Brohoof 5

On 2022-01-12 at 7:46 PM, Stancet said:

Very true. Actually, that could also mean magic will be less common among unicorns if electricity can do more for them. It takes skill to use magic but not electronics.

There may be less of a drive to re-learn magic if the unicorns adopt all the fancy technology from Zephyr Heights, true. Though I had always though it would have been more interesting to see more sophisticated examples of combining magic and technology than just fancier real-world technology.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2022-01-12 at 7:34 PM, eventyraren said:

You know I don't think it has been That long between G4 and G5. Maby just some 300 years. G4 tecnology was on pare with the Industrial Revolution That started in the mid 1700. So it has not been That long.

You're assuming that pony progress goes in a straight line :P tell that to the ancient greeks who had a friggin computerish thing (ish), only to see Greece and the entire Mediterranean world descend to belief in witches and leeches and nonsense.

Spoiler

Political spoiler :P

Spoiler

You could also tell it to Victorian Brits and Americans who would see the rotten politics of today as a slide towards the past... friggin Boris

Ponies have had severe times before too. Luna emerged as a distant imposing royal because she was banished when times weren't so rosy for pony kind IMO. She wasn't using that royal Canterlot Voice to simper to a reporter about the virtues of cake. It's interesting to think what the dark age might be like between FiM and Gen 5...

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

There's a 1,000 year time gap between Luna's banishment to the first episode of FIM and honestly, from what we do know about Equestria in the old days, it doesn't look like a whole lot changed. Between G4 and G5, the changes seem much more drastic and I can't see that happening in a short time. But then again, in the real world, technology progressed at a snail's pace until the last few hundred years when the industrial revolution began to expedite things. But that doesn't account for the extreme division in pony society, either. So who knows? It's possible we'll never get a specific answer.

• Brohoof 3

The way I see it, there's about two possibilities:

1) A minimum of several centuries must have passed between G-4 and G-5, or

2) The ancestors of Maretime Bay, Zephyr Heights, and Bridlewood Forest were already entirely (or almost entirely) segregated by tribe, even during the G-4 times

Here's what makes me say that:  it was common for families to be of mixed tribes during G-4 (e.g. Sugar Belle and Big Mackintosh), and there would've been (for example) unicorns and pegasi born of earth pony parents pretty often (e.g. the Cakes).  But the implication in G-5 is that a baby of one tribe being born from a parent of another tribe never happened by the time of G-5's setting.  And it takes many, many generations to breed that kind of thing out of a population!

If the real truth is (2), then G-5 could in theory be mere decades after the end of G-4, though we'd need a pretty good explanation for why nopony remembers how things were in G-4.  Considering there was magic in G-4 that erases memories, though, it'd be quite doable, and would be quite the twist, worthy of a season finale or a season premiere in the series.  But I don't find (2) especially likely.

• Brohoof 2