Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Should we be worried about NFT's and gaming?

WildChildMirai

Hi there, new person here (Or Newpony here), wanted to basically join a forum and thought this was ok.

Admittedly after researching game companies such as EA and Konami getting into NFT's I was wondering if people besides me were also worrying about this since I don't want alot of my favorite games and franchises to get destroyed by NFTs.

At the moment, not only are they wildly unpopular(Ubisoft's in particular is taking off extremely poorly), like to the point where people were rooting for Nintendo when they sent out a C&D to a NFT "fan" project. It's also been shown that not many people owns these things, and have only been traded around by a few thousand people. The only reason these are getting as much attention as they are is because those people are being obnoxiously vocal about it to where they're attracting big corporations to invest. And it's no surprise that the most evil of these corporations(EA, Ubi, Konami) have vested interest in them. Under normal circumstances I'd say it's only a matter of time until the fad dies, but the rampant art and content theft(including Youtube channels becoming NFTs without the creator's permissions) have gotten so bad that it might take more to kill these things

Edited by Megas

3 minutes ago, Megas said:

At the moment, not only are they wildly unpopular(Ubisoft's in particular is taking off extremely poorly), like to the point where people were rooting for Nintendo when they sent out a C&D to a NFT "fan" project. It's also been shown that not many people owns these things, and have only been traded around by a few thousand people. The only reason these are getting as much attention as they are is because those people are being obnoxiously vocal about it to where they're attracting big corporations to invest. And it's no surprise that the most evil of these corporations(EA, Ubi, Konami) have vested interest in them. Under normal circumstances I'd say it's only a matter of time until the fad dies, but the rampant art and content theft(including Youtube channels becoming NFTs without the creator's permissions) have gotten so bad that it might take more to kill these things

I actually asked this because I saw a small youtuber try to plug his video about it on a discord server i'm on and I admittedly am a bit concerned because he made some valid points such as EA wishing to hire people and keywords also included Blockchaining and NFTs, Square Enix also thinking they are the future and even Sega wants to experiment with them.

9 hours ago, WildChildMirai said:

I actually asked this because I saw a small youtuber try to plug his video about it on a discord server i'm on and I admittedly am a bit concerned because he made some valid points such as EA wishing to hire people and keywords also included Blockchaining and NFTs, Square Enix also thinking they are the future and even Sega wants to experiment with them.

I'm very disappointed at how this is even becoming a trend with video games, but not surprised, even by Square getting on board with this despite my Final Fantasy fandom. All game companies are "evil" to some degree, it's our job as the consumer to not be supporting this stupidity. 

• Brohoof 1

I think everyone should be worried about NFTs in general, as those scams are detrimental to not only the gaming industry, but to the economy and potentially to the environment. Worrying about it won't do anything though, but taking actions like letting others know they are scams and collectively boycotting companies that support and implement them into their products would make an impact.

• Brohoof 2

I don't see a big deal with NFTs. As I understand, they have zero impact on the game itself and if someone wants to pay a lot of money for the NFT, why not?

Loot boxes are much, much worse as the games are usually centered around them. So, if the game company wants to do NFTs instead of loot boxes - awesome.

10 hours ago, Pentium100 said:

I don't see a big deal with NFTs. As I understand, they have zero impact on the game itself and if someone wants to pay a lot of money for the NFT, why not?

Loot boxes are much, much worse as the games are usually centered around them. So, if the game company wants to do NFTs instead of loot boxes - awesome.

Because people shouldn't be supporting or becoming complicit in a scam. I stick to my point of the consumer's responsibility to be wise and not fall for the scam, but that doesn't make it right. 

• Brohoof 2

Hm. I have only basic knowledge about NFT and the issues of partnering  it since it may be harmful to the environment and the economic along with the customers itself. so I will try my best to share my thoughts in this. Honestly, it seems every companies not just gaming are doing NFT. I honestly think it takes one responsibility to know not to fall for scammers or choose not to support it by refusing to buy things from the company. Correct me if I’m wrong, The reason companies does it because they gain more money from it and gaining rights to their property. Let it’s benefit both the owner and the creators. Cons too much energy consumption affect the ecosystem.   Of course, to the company’s eyes what’s more important? Money? or the ecosystem? 

i don’t have any hopes for the companies to listen to no-sayers, so my thoughts are if you don’t support NFT, don’t buy or get yourself involved in a company who use NFT. Then again, it will be hard too once majority companies are heading toward NFTs.  I don’t like the idea of NFTs but if something  musics, arts, games, or computer softwares in general are using NFTS, i won’t stop using it because sadly it’s essential.

In a term of worrying about it, I would say just be caution. It’s still relatively new, so as in right now, I wouldn’t panic or go all crazy worrying about it. Since there are many things beside NFTS (worser) that are currently affecting the ecosystem and companies ripping people off from their money. NFT is just one of it.

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Because people shouldn't be supporting or becoming complicit in a scam. I stick to my point of the consumer's responsibility to be wise and not fall for the scam, but that doesn't make it right. 

Still, if the game company decides to sell NFTs that have no use in the game, I can choose to not buy them and my experience is not affected in any way, unlike when they make games centered around loot boxes - in which case I have three options - not play the game (maybe the game has an interesting story and I would want to play it), play the game with a bad experience (because the game is trying its hardest to push loot boxes) or spend lots of money on the loot boxes.

If someone wants to buy a NFT to "have something unique" it's not much different that "limited edition" stuff. If someone buys a NFT as an "investment", again, it's not that much different than buying a brand new comic book or some "limited edition" stuff wit the intention of selling it for more later.

Now, if the game companies start integrating NFTs into the game itself, then I will start disliking them, but then again, it won't be worse than loot boxes.

On 2022-01-16 at 8:07 PM, EpicEnergy said:

I think everyone should be worried about NFTs in general, as those scams are detrimental to not only the gaming industry, but to the economy and potentially to the environment. Worrying about it won't do anything though, but taking actions like letting others know they are scams and collectively boycotting companies that support and implement them into their products would make an impact.

It can be hard to boycott a company when you're only a singular voice, but if people like us can get our voice heard maybe they would listen, the only problem is that outside of one video, most of the explanations of what an NFT is can be way too freaking long.

And even that one video i'm thinking about is only half explaining what NFTs are and reporting what companies are getting involved.

On 2022-01-17 at 4:52 AM, Pentium100 said:

It might be because of a snowball effect, but if people like EA are willing to nickel and dime you for cash in any way, you better believe they'll somehow give NFT users an unfair advantage somehow, and SEGA is just now experimenting with this stuff if the fan backlash doesn't stay.

On 2022-01-17 at 4:53 PM, TBD said:

Hm. I have only basic knowledge about NFT and the issues of partnering  it since it may be harmful to the environment and the economic along with the customers itself. so I will try my best to share my thoughts in this. Honestly, it seems every companies not just gaming are doing NFT. I honestly think it takes one responsibility to know not to fall for scammers or choose not to support it by refusing to buy things from the company. Correct me if I’m wrong, The reason companies does it because they gain more money from it and gaining rights to their property. Let it’s benefit both the owner and the creators. Cons too much energy consumption affect the ecosystem.   Of course, to the company’s eyes what’s more important? Money? or the ecosystem? 

i don’t have any hopes for the companies to listen to no-sayers, so my thoughts are if you don’t support NFT, don’t buy or get yourself involved in a company who use NFT. Then again, it will be hard too once majority companies are heading toward NFTs.  I don’t like the idea of NFTs but if something  musics, arts, games, or computer softwares in general are using NFTS, i won’t stop using it because sadly it’s essential.

In a term of worrying about it, I would say just be caution. It’s still relatively new, so as in right now, I wouldn’t panic or go all crazy worrying about it. Since there are many things beside NFTS (worser) that are currently affecting the ecosystem and companies ripping people off from their money. NFT is just one of it.

I wouldn't say that musics, arts, games, or computer softwares are essential per say (Unless your field absolutely requires it), I recommend going retro with your selections (Ok maybe harder with computer softwares but you get the idea) until they cave about NFTs and essentially leave them alone

• Brohoof 2

13 hours ago, WildChildMirai said:

I wouldn't say that musics, arts, games, or computer softwares are essential per say (Unless your field absolutely requires it), I recommend going retro with your selections (Ok maybe harder with computer softwares but you get the idea) until they cave about NFTs and essentially leave them alone

Very true,  but let say maybe in the future if every single companies and software companies decided to use NFT, it would be much harder to avoid it, unfortunately. Right now, I never go beyond being super technical or advance when it comes to technology usage such as, computer or mobile phones. Since I'm a bit of a Technophobic, I like to keep it simple for myself.  My laptop is only use for work like Microsoft, excel, ects. Plus it’s only been two years since I switched from a flip phone to a smartphone, so I only use my smartphone for calling and playing mobile games and trying to avoid using lots of apps.  Even so, I'm not much of a gamer anyways. So it's already easy for me to avoid NFT as in right now. Can't say for everyone else though depending what they do with their technology usage. 

On 2022-01-19 at 11:35 AM, TBD said:

Very true,  but let say maybe in the future if every single companies and software companies decided to use NFT, it would be much harder to avoid it, unfortunately. Right now, I never go beyond being super technical or advance when it comes to technology usage such as, computer or mobile phones. Since I'm a bit of a Technophobic, I like to keep it simple for myself.  My laptop is only use for work like Microsoft, excel, ects. Plus it’s only been two years since I switched from a flip phone to a smartphone, so I only use my smartphone for calling and playing mobile games and trying to avoid using lots of apps.  Even so, I'm not much of a gamer anyways. So it's already easy for me to avoid NFT as in right now. Can't say for everyone else though depending what they do with their technology usage. 

Here's hoping that NFT's can die out soon since it seems some companies are buzzing off a bit.

• 1 month later...

Welp, apparently I've seen two commercials promoting NFTs on TV. It's only a matter of time when every thing will be under NFT.:maud:

On 2022-02-23 at 10:30 AM, TBD said:

Welp, apparently I've seen two commercials promoting NFTs on TV. It's only a matter of time when every thing will be under NFT.:maud:

Tempted to post my friends video right here cause of how much he's worrying about NFTs and gaming.