Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The worst I could say is that I think they did it a little early. Though her getting wings I don't feel played a part in the show's quality

• Brohoof 3

For later fans, it didn't matter much, but for the 2012-craze Bronies, it really hurt the fandom.

But this is a more personal question. I would say it hurt me quite badly. I was really into MLP when Twilight got her wings pasted (becoming a princess). It didn't seem like it was what the fans had asked for, or where the story were headed. It seemed like a fast way to promo this little event for the hub network:

Spoiler

missamerica.png

To me, and the show in general, she should have stayed a unicorn, or at least said no to being forced to become a princess since she didn't really want to. Friendship is Magic, not forced.

• Brohoof 2

While I thoroughly enjoy alicorn twilight (having started the show when season 2 premiered, I had been personally wanting twi to become an alicorn as I thought it would be a nice finale to her studies)

However... that's not to say I enjoy how it was executed :awwthanks: it definitely felt rushed. Not only was season 3 only 13 episodes, but the finale was also only one episode, with the episode being mostly made up of songs with little real plot development. For being what it is, the finale episode was pretty simple and almost anticlimactic if Twi hadn't earned her wings in the end; kinda like that two-parter (don't remember which season) where the everfree forest vines took over. still, in the end i was super excited and happy about it. i definitely remember the hardcore bronies being super upset though :sealed:

Personally I just think they should've put it off a little more. I'd say maybe at the end of season 5? then we'd have season 6 of her getting used to it, season 7 finding her place as a princess, season 8 living to her full princess potential, and season 9 getting prepared to take over all of equestria. As opposed to her adjusting in season 4, finding her place in season 5, and then... just kind of existing until season 9 with (in my opinion) half-hearted efforts to make new plot points in the seasons (read; friendship school and the student 6. i like the metaphor with them, but still.)

that's just my two bits on the topic :mlp_smile:

• Brohoof 2

I never understood the annoyance, the transition episode was definitely not how it should have gone but her being an Alicorn never affected the show at all honestly, especially when you factor in that if Faust stayed she would have transitioned to one of those anyways. It doesn't make a difference at all.

• Brohoof 1

I've never had any problem with it. She earned her wings :>

I was surprised by how early it happened though, but I expected it very early on it will will happen. And even if like this episode too very much, I wish they would have made a movie about it to give it the time and space this moment deserves.

• Brohoof 2

To me, the worst thing they did was spoil it to the point that it wasn't even exciting. I had a friend who didn't even bother watching it. The promotions for it were horrendous. I have absolutely no problem with Twilight becoming an alicorn. Heck, I'm glad they did it early because it opened so many doors. I was just so disappointed and angry how they went about promoting it. They should've gone with the plot of the episode and the point where Twilight casts the spell and such...ugh...

• Brohoof 5

Just as a side note, even here at MLP Forums, there were quite a heavy discussion at that time, about Twilight's coronation, as can be seen in countless and endless threads in the Season 3 section:
If you want to get a personal feeling, that is representative of the time, you should go have a look (just scroll down past the official episode threads):
https://mlpforums.com/forum/59-season-3-discussion/

• Brohoof 4

I won't deny that it really did just come out of nowhere, but I like how it was presented and didn't mind too much otherwise, it's just Twilight + wings + a fancy new title at the end of the day.

It was fine during Season 4 because Twilight still got to develop as a character in adjusting to being a princess. However, once she got her castle there was little more to do with her character and I found her character mostly flat and boring the rest of the show. She originally was a charming, awkward and nerdy student who we got to see develop and grow, making her a great character. However, once her arc was gone and she was an authority figure she was less interesting, often came off more uptight than charming, and her interactions with the other characters suffered.

• Brohoof 2

Dejavu! Anway. A superficial transformation in the absence of meaningful character development. You could have taken the wings away, and nothing would have changed. I suspect it was the same for spike. Perceived limitations are the catalyst for amazing transformation, soul alchemy. True change. What I got was a pair of extra limbs.

A wasted opportunity. But I wasn't expecting much to begin with. There is a severe limitation to the potentiality of these writers and the formulaic product they are supposed to deliver within this redundant circuit. It is the same everywhere, it is not like the magicians of hollywood would give away any form of true information in their predictive programing. Same garbage, everywhere.

• Brohoof 2

I'm mixed about it. On one hand, it's a great accomplishment for Twilight. On other the other hand, it's way too corporate shilling for me. I still prefer Twilight as a unicorn.

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-01-21 at 7:22 PM, JMTV99 said:

I'm mixed about it. On one hand, it's a great accomplishment for Twilight. On other the other hand, it's way too corporate shilling for me. I still prefer Twilight as a unicorn.

I definitely prefer Unicorn Twilight as well. Although I don't mind her as an alicorn, I would have liked to see her Grow up with her friends Instead of having to move away from them. Not to mention Lauren Faust wasn't even planning to have twilight become an alicorn, It didn't fit with "her" story. It also feels like a marketing scheme to sell more toys, but that's hasbro :yeahno:

• Brohoof 1

I saw that episode on TV, and I never was more disappointed, because I didn't want it to happen, even more considering that Twilight would not have a real occupation, because Celestia and Luna already did the "goverment work". However, in the last season they introduced the "retirement" concept (Luna spent 1000 years in the moon and now wants to retire), to justify her rise as the ruler of Equestria. Such a plot twist, I actually wanted Twilight as a counselor or something related, not literally the new queen.

• Brohoof 1