Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Are you a casual gamer, or a completionist?

LionPonyNerd

personally I’ve collected PlayStation platinum trophies for 5 years now. It all started when I randomly decided to get the platinum trophy for ‘Hatsune miku project diva F’ because project diva is one of my favourite games series. 

I enjoy 100% completing my games because I feel I get more hours out of the game and get to challenge myself in a way I normally wouldn’t. My usual route is to play the game normally then go for the platinum afterwards if I enjoyed the game enough. 

what about you guys? Do you also like to fully complete your games or are you a more casual gamer? Or maybe you’re somewhere inbetween, let’s discuss  ^_^

• Brohoof 4

I am definitely a completionist. I will not feel satisfied with my gameplay until I have completed the main story, every side quest, gathered every item, reached the highest rank, etc.

• Brohoof 3

I'm a causal gamer.

I try to complete games to the best of my ability but that's only happened three times for  me with modern games and "trophy hunting". 

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 3

Depending what games. For non-mobile game, I'd often go and complete it. Mobile games don't required that at all so casual. 

• Brohoof 4

I get the trophies that are doable. Or if working on the trophy is fun. But mostly I think it is a waste of time to spend so much time on a game. I would rather play many games at less than 100%, rather than get 100% on one.

But I usually try to get 100% of the game itself, not counting the trophies.

• Brohoof 4

Depends. If side quests are too much of a hassle, or the rewards aren’t worthwhile, I tend to skip them. I don’t have the time I used to have. Achievements are a waste of time by default for me. I’m actually surprised I got platinum in MGSV :huh:, AND I’VE NOTICED YEARS LATER :lostit:. Then again, there’s no multiplayer nor bullshit achievements in that game :mlp_icwudt:

• Brohoof 3

I would consider myself a casual gamer. Most of the time I complete the game, but I do not go for 100% achievements and such. If the collectibles or whatever add to the story, then I'll try to get them. IMO games should be fun and entertaining. Usually getting those last achievements or whatever is not fun or entertaining, so I don't do it.

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Depends. If side quests are too much of a hassle, or the rewards aren’t worthwhile, I tend to skip them. I don’t have the time I used to have. Achievements are a waste of time by default for me. I’m actually surprised I got platinum in MGSV :huh:, AND I’VE NOTICED YEARS LATER :lostit:. Then again, there’s no multiplayer nor bullshit achievements in that game :mlp_icwudt:

This is pretty much me. I'm neither a casual gamer nor a completionist. I just do the side quests and post-game quests that truly interest me and will help me get stuff I care about. I like admiring the amount of games I've completed most. Also, how did I never know you played MGSV? :Tempest:

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, CloudMistDragon said:

This is pretty much me. I'm neither a casual gamer nor a completionist. I just do the side quests and post-game quests that truly interest me and will help me get stuff I care about. I like admiring the amount of games I've completed most. Also, how did I never know you played MGSV? :Tempest:

Weird, I was rather active in a MG thread back in 2015 to early 2017 :huh:? Anyway, I stopped playing after early 2017, due to a lower internet connection, and I was only aiming for the nuclear disarmament ending, but gave up. 

• Brohoof 2

I suppose I'm a completionist, but not so much the trophy/achievement hunting type. I don't care much about those. It's more like I have a thing for collecting as many goodies as possible and scouring areas for items. I love exploring. Gotta check every room in a building and every nook and cranny of a dungeon. It makes for more playing time than simply following the story and rarely deviating. Plus, I've found that there's a lot you can learn about a game's world if you're diligent about talking to every single NPC... and occasionally they'll give you items that you otherwise wouldn't get.

Very casual. I don’t have the patience or desire to try to get everything. I will try to get some extra achievements if they are particularly fun or give good rewards but otherwise I don’t really care. I also tend to speedrun through content so I miss lots of stuff, but I do it sorta unintentionally, I’m just excited to see what’s next!

Really depends on the game. If it's a game that I'm really into, I might just go out of my way to complete everything. If it's a game that I'm not into, I'll beat it, but after that I'm not playing it again.

I definitely more casual when it comes to completing games. I never really cared too much for achievements or trophies. The only time I cared was when I completed that 10,000 gamerscore challenge on Xbox last year. 

• 2 months later...

I'm a completionist for the most part. That's what I enjoy about games. :) I don't feel any joy when doing something "just for fun". But unlocking things and achieving things is different. Getting 3 stars in each cup in the Mario Kart games, unlocking all drivers and kart parts - I enjoy these things. But as soon as everyhting is done, there is nothing left and it's not fun anymore.

Things I don't do is something like...leveling up to Level 99 in RPG's (not counting Pokémon). Basically maximazing the numbers just for the sake of it. I also hate fishing, it's something I never completed in Majora's Mask 3D. :coco: And completing a game like Animal Crossing is...oof. I tried, but I lost interest after 195 hours. :sealed: Imagine playing a game for almost 200 hours!!! :crackle:

I guess that's also a reason why I avoid a lot of modern games: They are too grindy and repetitive. Or walking from A to B stuff. I really like more linear games. Because here, every moment feels special and fun. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1

Both, depends on the game. I’m a completionist if I know when the definitive end to a game will be but if it’s something like Animal Crossing that doesn’t have an end (and takes up way too much time), I just play it causally. There’s quite a few games I wanted to complete but just haven’t been able to.

• Brohoof 1