Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private Surviving The Competition (1x1 with Dynamo Pad)

Ragland Tiger

@Dynamo Pad

In a dark arcade, a small crowd gathered around to watch a bespectacled blue unicorn at the game console, racking up one of the highest scores any of them had seen.

Spoiler

The  earth stallion she was playing against looked on, and he was not happy.   When the unicorn mare was done. the crowd started to applaud.  She gave them a modest smile, but then her opponent jumped in,  yanked her by her foreleg and shook her.  "There is no way you could scored that high in Tempest without cheating," he growled.   The unicorn felt his hoof dig in to her foreleg.  "N-no! I di-di-didn't ch-cheat!  I-I-I s-s-swear!" she said.  "Pl-please, you-you're hurting me!"

Edited by Ragland Tiger

@Ragland Tiger

In a dark arcade on the outskirts of the city, a small crowd had gathered around inside the building. Even as the building was blanketed by darkness, flashes of light and sounds could be seen illuminating the building. Even if it was brief, it was a spectacle to those inside the building. To onlookers outside of the building, it was as if the building was shrouded in mystery. To who the crowd was gathering around, it was an earth pony stallion and a bespectacled blue unicorn mare. Among the crowd was a blue unicorn stallion by the name of Dynamo Pad. The gaming stallion had watched on as the bespectacled mare was racking up a new high score on game known as Tempest. To Dynamo, he didn't compete as he had signed up for other tournaments. He wasn't all that familiar with the game, but it looked like something he'd give a try in the future. As the unicorn mare had completed her run of the game, Dynamo had given his applause alongside the crowd. He didn't know this mare, but it looked like she had a knack for gaming. 

The celebration, however, was short lived as the earth stallion had jumped into the fray. Dynamo gasped softly as his eyes shrank from the stallion yanking on her foreleg, before shaking her. Dynamo could only look around at the crowd in hopes that someone would jump in to stop the madness that was transpiring. However, it looked like everyone was frozen to the stallion's actions. Looking back, he could hear the mare cry out that he was hurting her. Finding the courage from within, he quickly trotted up to the two to try and defuse the situation. "Um...excuse me? What seems to be the trouble here?" Even though he was scared, he wouldn't allow someone to get hurt if he could do something about it.

(edited)

@Dynamo Pad

"This little snipe is cheating!" said the earth stallion.  "Her score is too high!  No pony has ever beat me at Tempest.  She's passed too many levels!" 

"I-I-I don't eve-even know this g-g-game enough to cheat!" said the unicorn mare.  "Let m-me go!"

Edited by Ragland Tiger

@Ragland Tiger

As he listened to the earth stallion's outburst, Dynamo could only raise an eyebrow in confusion. "I'm not trying to be rude, but isn't that the point of a video game? Anypony could probably surprise you or even others at a game." He tried to explain, while hoping he could get this stallion to release his grip on the mare's foreleg. Even as he heard the bespectacled mare's side of the story, Dynamo was able to put the pieces together. "I don't think she's cheating. If you ask me, then she might have a knack for the game. Either that, or maybe she got lucky. How can you cheat if you don't know much about the game? That just doesn't make sense. So, can't you please let her go? There must be something we can do to work things out, right?"

(edited)

@Dynamo Pad

The stallion glared at Dynamo.  He spoke with guttural rumble in his voice.  "What are you going to do about it, pip squeak?" "Ow!" Bluebell yelped as his grip on her foreleg grew tighter. Tears began to flow from her eyes.

Edited by Ragland Tiger

@Ragland Tiger

The way the stallion glared, as well as the guttural rumble in his voice. It was enough to send a few shivers down Dynamo's spine as he took a step back without warning. It was as if he wasn't in the mood to be giving any demands. He flinched as he heard the bespectacled mare's cries, before looking over at the mare. Seeing tears beginning to flow from her eyes had stirred something within the gaming unicorn. Gritting his teeth and narrowing his eyes slightly, he took a deep breath as he chose his next words carefully. "You have no right to be barking demands or act like you own the place. So, you better knock it off, before you get what's coming to you. So, I suggest that you let her go right this instant. If you don't, then I can make sure that the owner of this arcade knows what's going on. I have a good connection with the owner and he even asked me to help out in setting up for some competitions. It's why I didn't compete in Tempest, but that's besides the point." He was essentially bluffing, but he didn't want this stallion to know that. However, Dynamo still persisted as he pushed his words forward. "Either I get the owner and we'll settle this dispute, or we settle this the old fashioned way. We have ourselves a gaming competition between you and I. If I win, then you leave us alone and that will be the end of that. If you win, then you can do whatever you want. How does that sound? If you're in agreement, then I suggest you let her go...now." He unconsciously flared his magic without warning. With how Dynamo put worded things and with his magic, as well. It looked as if he wasn't giving this stallion any demands. 

@Ragland Tiger

Dynamo was surprised that the angry stallion had agreed to the terms. Whether it was due to the earth pony stallion having no way out of the options presents, or if he was confident that he could win. To Dynamo, he honestly couldn't say. He was broken out of his thoughts as the unicorn mare was swiftly flung aside upon the floor. Dynamo rushed over as he tried to check the mare over to make sure that she was okay. "Are you okay? You're not hurt, are you?" He mentally winced as the mare clutched her foreleg. With how she protested about being hurt and seeing the foreleg begin to bruise, it was obvious that she was not okay. Hearing that she wanted to leave, Dynamo nodded in understanding. "Don't worry. I promise that you'll get some help." He reassured the mare, before looking around at the crowd. "Is there a doctor in the house? If not, then where's the medical kit?"

Not so long after he had asked, had the owner, Block Beat, had made his appearance known. "I've got it right here for you, Dynamo. I'll take care of things from here. You just go and make sure this hooligan doesn't cause any kind of trouble here in my arcade." The middle aged pegasus stallion had stated, before turning towards the bespectacled mare. "Are you okay, dear? You took quite a nasty fall. Where does it seem to hurt? Do you have a name?" He started out with questions as he wanted to get a good idea of what he needed to do.

(edited)
On 2022-01-22 at 7:33 PM, Dynamo Pad said:

Not so long after he had asked, had the owner, Block Beat, had made his appearance known. "I've got it right here for you, Dynamo. I'll take care of things from here. You just go and make sure this hooligan doesn't cause any kind of trouble here in my arcade." The middle aged pegasus stallion had stated, before turning towards the bespectacled mare. "Are you okay, dear? You took quite a nasty fall. Where does it seem to hurt? Do you have a name?"

@Dynamo Pad

"M-m-m-my leg -- my l-leg, it h-h-hurts,"  the unicorn mare said.   "M-my na-na-name is b-Bluebell.  Meanwhile, the angry stallion was glaring at Dynamo.  "Well!?" he groweled.

Edited by Ragland Tiger

@Ragland Tiger

"Shh, shh, shh..." Block started as he patted the mare's shoulder, who was now known as Bluebell, to try and keep her calm. Moving to open up the medical kit, he gently lifted her hurt foreleg to check the damage. From first glance, it looked as if her foreleg had changed colors. What was a pure blue, had morphed into a dark purplish color. "It doesn't appear that you leg is broken, but there is indeed some swelling. I can try and stop it from swelling, but we'll definitely need to get you checked up on." He started pulling out a gauze, as well as splint to keep her foreleg steady. As he began to gently, yet firmly wrap the gauze around Bluebell's leg, Dynamo had kept his eyes on Bluebell. He had heard the bespectacled mare mention her name to the arcade owner, but he was more focused on her than of the earth pony stallion. Speaking of that stallion, Dynamo blinked as he turned his attention back towards his opponent. "Oh, that's right. Follow me." He began walking past the sea of the crowd before them. His eyes darting quickly all around to find the perfect game for them to play. After a moment, Dynamo's eyes landed on the perfect game to settle this dispute.

Stopping in his tracks, he turned around as he held out a hoof to present the arcade machine to the earth stallion. "Here's how this is going to work. We're going to play a game called Pokemon Showdown. A game to where you make your own personal team of six creatures known as Pokemon. You can build them however you like, to fit whatever play style you prefer. The rules are simple. It's a best of three battle, so whoever wins two out of three will win the competition. We're allowed two legendary or restricted Pokemon on the team as they are very powerful when using them in a battle. It's VGC rules, which means we are doing a double battle format. Meaning that we only bring four Pokemon from our six and doubles means that there are two Pokemon out on the field from both players. Whoever knocks out the other player's four Pokemon twice is the winner. Does that sound good to you?" Judging his opponent, the gaming unicorn felt that the earth stallion would feel that the rules and game would be unfair. "Actually, you know what? I can imagine it's a lot of information to take in all at once, but I want to make you a deal. When it comes to picking my team, I'll let you see all of the moves and stats I put into my team. That way, you know what I have, so there's basically not surprises coming from me. You'll know everything from me, whereas I don't know anything from you. Is that fair?" 

Edited by Dynamo Pad

On 2022-01-25 at 6:57 PM, Dynamo Pad said:

"Here's how this is going to work. We're going to play a game called Pokemon Showdown. A game to where you make your own personal team of six creatures known as Pokemon. You can build them however you like, to fit whatever play style you prefer. The rules are simple. It's a best of three battle, so whoever wins two out of three will win the competition. We're allowed two legendary or restricted Pokemon on the team as they are very powerful when using them in a battle. It's VGC rules, which means we are doing a double battle format. Meaning that we only bring four Pokemon from our six and doubles means that there are two Pokemon out on the field from both players. Whoever knocks out the other player's four Pokemon twice is the winner. Does that sound good to you?" Judging his opponent, the gaming unicorn felt that the earth stallion would feel that the rules and game would be unfair. "Actually, you know what? I can imagine it's a lot of information to take in all at once, but I want to make you a deal. When it comes to picking my team, I'll let you see all of the moves and stats I put into my team. That way, you know what I have, so there's basically not surprises coming from me. You'll know everything from me, whereas I don't know anything from you. Is that fair?" 

"Alright, then.  Lets do this," the stallion grunted as he approached the console.

@Ragland Tiger

"A desperate gamble, but a gamble that needed to be made." Block muttered as he placed the rest of the medical supplies back in the case, before shutting it closed. Even through his muttering, it was loud enough for Bluebell to hear. "It seems he doesn't want to get on that earth stallion's bad side. So, he wanted to make it as even as possible. However, in doing so, he put himself into a big disadvantage. Pokemon is a game where some team members have standard sets. Making them the bread and butter that you'd see on the team. There can be some surprises, but only if you understand how much of a threat they truly are. I just hope Dynamo knows what he's doing." Trailing his eyes, they soon landed on Bluebell, who seemed to be looking at the duo that were about to do battle. "It looks like he really cares a lot about you. Do you both happen to know one another?"

Back with the duo, Dynamo nodded as the earth stallion had arrived at the console. Opting to go first, the unicorn had entered each of his Pokemon one at a time. Allowing his opponent to see the moves, items, stats and ideas of what he had in mind. He'd be lying if he didn't feel nervous about doing this. In truth, it was as if fear was taking root and forming in the pit of his stomach. With his team completed, he stepped aside for his opponent to create a team. Thus, allowing the earth stallion to create a perfect countermeasure against his strategy. Glancing around, his eyes fell on Bluebell, who looked to have been talking to Block Beat. It also looked as if her foreleg was wrapped up, but he still hoped that she would be okay. Knowing that he had a reason to fight and to win, his nervousness settled slightly, but it was still there waiting for him. Once the earth stallion was finished, they both had put their names in to tell who was who. For Dynamo, he entered the name Alolaninetales92, while the other stallion had entered ralf_1060. 

With each battler picking their four of six Pokemon to use, it looked as if things had been going back and forth. Each gamer trying to find an advantage to overtake their opponent. With the earth stallion knowing of Dynamo's information, he easily had taken the first battle. Dynamo closed his eyes as he felt his body beginning to tremble slightly. A clear indication that his idea hadn't worked out and he wasn't sure what else would work. With a best of three, anything could happen. Even a change of strategy each game to keep the opponent on their hooves. However, Dynamo had noticed a few things out of the earth stallion that he'd be sure to capitalize in the next match. Going into game 2, he made sure not to make the same mistakes as in game 1. At the same time, increasing his speed and survivability to overwhelm the opponent in front of him. Leaving his opponent with nowhere to go, Dynamo had secured game 2 and allowed a game 3 to be played. As both players let out their Pokemon, Dynamo made sure to reposition, while also making sure to force his opponent's options. Getting rid of what he considered threats, Dynamo had worked through the motions and finished the battle. Giving him the 2-1 victory and to be declared the winner of the set.

The earth stallion turned and glared at Dynamo a moment, and then raised his hoof.  But before he could follow through to strike Dynamo, he felt something grip his foreleg, keeping him from moving it.  "What!? What the -," he said looking up to see that a spell had taken hold of his hoof.  "D-d-d-don't you dare hurt-hurt h-h-him," he heard Bluebell's voice say. he turned to see Bluebell sitting up, her horn glowing an almost blinding blue light.  "Y-y-you-you ac-accepted the st-stakes now honor th-th-them!"  The earth stallion looked back at her and then relaxed his stance, and Bluebell released him.  He looked back at Dynamo, and said, "You two will pay for this," and promptly stormed off.  When he was out of sight, Bluebell winced in pain.

@Ragland Tiger

Dynamo breathed a sigh of relief as he was able to claim victory in their battle. He had to admit that some of the ideas he had were risky and that he could have been punished for making such drastic plays. However, it all worked out as he was able to outplay is opponent, in the end. Giving a small smile, he held out his hoof to exchange a hoof shake. "Thank you for the battle." He tried to say as he was trying to be a good sport. It was all he could say, before noticing the earth stallion had begun raising his hoof. As he rose higher than his outstretched hoof, the gaming unicorn raised a brow slightly at what the stallion was doing. Everything soon clicked in his mind as the hoof was raised over the stallion's head. 'You can't be serious, right?' His jaw was unhinged, lowering slightly in shock at his opponent's actions. Closing his eyes, he winced as he was expecting to be hit, but the hit was never to be. Hesitantly opening one eye, Dynamo's orange/amber orb had seen the stallion's hoof floating in midair. What kept that foreleg in the air was a blinding blue light. A light that caused Dynamo's eyes to wince from how bright it was. Drawing the light back to Bluebell, he couldn't help from looking away.

The light had bathed Bluebell in an angelic glow that nearly took his breath away. Seeing her sit up and ordering the stallion to back off had made Dynamo smile softly. Nodding in agreement of her statement, Dynamo was about to retort. It was unnecessary, however, as the stallion had stared at both the gaming stallion and bespectacled mare. Before giving his parting words and stormed off. As the drama the stallion had brought had come to an end, Dynamo sighed as he shook his head in disbelief at the stallion's actions. Looking back over at both Bluebell and Block Beat, Dynamo had thought he had seen her wince, before moving towards her at a brisk pace. "H-Hey, are you okay? How's your foreleg?" His eyes trailed to her mentioned foreleg that was now wrapped in bandages.

@Dynamo Pad

1 hour ago, Dynamo Pad said:

Looking back over at both Bluebell and Block Beat, Dynamo had thought he had seen her wince, before moving towards her at a brisk pace. "H-Hey, are you okay? How's your foreleg?" His eyes trailed to her mentioned foreleg that was now wrapped in bandages.

"I th-th-think I nee-need  to s-see  doctor," Bluebell said, "Th-thank you both s-so much for-for helping m-me.  I guess so-some gamers d-d-don't li-like mares."

@Ragland Tiger

At the mention of needing to see a doctor, Dynamo could only wince. With how the earth stallion had acted, he had hoped that the bespectacled mare would be okay. However, given an earth pony's physical strength, it didn't seem to be the case. "If you'd like, I can take you to see a doctor. I'd hate for you to go alone and to have trouble getting there with an injured foreleg." He offered, before Block Beat had stepped up from behind the duo. "There's a hospital not too far from here. You turn the corner from here and it's a straight shot down the road. I can assure you that you won't be able to miss it." Block chuckled with a shake of his head. "Oh, there's no need to thank me, dear. I'm just glad I was able to get a quick diagnosis of the injury and helped to patch you up. It's better to get a professional to look at it, but better safe than sorry. I just wish I could have gotten that hooligan to leave. He used to be a regular visiting every now and then from out of town. He wasn't always this bad, but I guess the need of winning has gotten the better of him. You can consider him banned from my arcade, until he can fix that attitude adjustment of his." He sighed with a shake of his head. A clear look of disappointment in his eyes. Meanwhile, Dynamo looked over to the mare with a nod and kind smile.

"You're welcome and it's no problem, really. I'm just glad I was able to help when I could. It's not right when bullies like him try and pick on others. If there's one thing that my teach taught me, it's to solve a majority of disputes through video games and not through violence." Upon hearing the bespectacled mare's comment, Dynamo immediately shook his head negatively. "That's not true. I'm a gamer and I like mares." A moment of silence had passed as his words had hung in the air. Blinking in realization, Dynamo blushed in embarrassment as he tried to correct himself. "I-I'm sorry about that. I meant that I like mares like you. N-No, wait. I meant that I'm a gamer who likes mares, but I respect mares who like or play games. Oh, it sounded correct in my mind." Block Beat could only laugh heartily, before shaking his head at the unicorn stallion's smooth performance. Taking a deep breath and sighing softly, Dynamo tried once more. "A-Again, I'm really sorry about that. What I meant is that I'm a gamer and I like mares, as well as those who like or play games. Anyone is allowed to play video games. No matter the gender, no matter the pony tribes, no matter the creatures, as well. Anyone is allowed to play games and enjoy said games if it makes them feel happy. Being able to share in the love of games is something special, in my opinion. I remember seeing you play that game called Tempest earlier. You were pretty awesome at it. Have you played it before, miss? Oh, I'm really sorry, but I don't think I got your name before. My name is Dynamo Pad, but you can call me Dynamo." He says, holding out his hoof for her to take in her good hoof.

@Ragland Tiger

Upon learning that the bespectacled mare's name was Bluebell, Dynamo smiled softly. At the same time, breathing a sigh of relief in his mind as it seemed that he didn't make a fool of himself. "It's nice to meet you, Bluebell. I also wouldn't mind helping you get to the hospital emergency room. The offer to take you still stands and I'd hate for you to go alone. I just hope that your foreleg will be okay and that it's not serious, as well." Moving his hoof up to his face and tapping his chin, the gaming unicorn tried to think of a solution that would help Bluebell walk. Given her condition, she might find herself having trouble walking, or accidentally put pressure/weight onto her injured foreleg. "I-If you'd like, then maybe I can carry you on my back. That way, we'll both go together to the hospital and you won't have to put any weight on your foreleg. Would you be okay with that, Bluebell?" He asks, a light blush dusting his cheeks. He wasn't sure if there was a better idea, but he knew he wanted to try and help make Bluebell as comfortable as possible.

@Ragland Tiger

Even as she spoke, Dynamo had walked over, before helping Bluebell to lift her onto his back. Craning his neck to look up at her, he gave her a soft, yet kind smile. "I promise not to walk too fast to irritate your injury. Just please let me know if there's anything I can do, okay?" Craning his neck once more, he gave Block Beat a wave to let them know that they were heading off. "Thanks for all of your help, Mr. Block. Sorry we have to leave so soon." He gave an apologetic expression, while Block Beat had waved the apology off. "Oh, don't mind me, my boy. Just got and make sure that sure that your girlfriend is safe. I've got plenty of help of taking care of this shop. I still appreciate the assistance." He chuckled as Dynamo blushed from the arcade owner's teasing comment. As the two made their exit of the arcade, Dynamo had made sure to follow Block Beat's direction to the letter. All the while, glancing his eyes upward towards the bespectacled mare, who had asked him a question. "I'm not from around here, actually. I originally grew up in Fillydelphia, but I've recently started traveling to other towns across Equestria. How about you, Bluebell?"

@Dynamo Pad

" I make my ho-ho-home in Canterlot,  but I tr-travel, too," Bluebell said.  "It's part-part of my j-job. I study diff-diff-different histories and c-cultures in many places in-in and out-outside of Equestria.   The princesses or-ordered me to take a b-break, so I'm just hang-hanging around town, and having some f-f-fun.  I di-di-didn't count on getting injured, th-though."

@Ragland Tiger

As he listened to her description of her job, Dynamo's jaw dropped in amazement. Even as he kept his eyes on the road, they would occasionally look back towards the bespectacled mare. "That's actually pretty interesting. It sounds like you get to travel a lot across Equestria. Even learning about different parts of history and cultures sounds pretty cool, in my opinion. Is the different history and cultures based on ponies, or can this research involve traveling to other parts of Equestria. Sort of like the Dragonlands or Griffon Kingdom?" He had learned about the different creatures back when he was in school, but not much was fully known about them. Upon the mention of the princesses, however, he stopped in his train of thoughts. "Wait a minute. You work for both Princess Celestia and Princess Luna? That sounds incredible and a huge honor. Do you go to them whenever they have a mission for you in regards to your job? Unless they send you a letter, or something along those lines. It's always good to take a break every now and then, so coming to the arcade is a great choice." He smiled, before the smile slowly faded at the mention of her getting injured. "I'm still really sorry about that happening. Most gamer's aren't all that bad, to be honest. There are just those that can't accept when someone is good at the game, or has a hidden talent for it. I just hope that bully will learn his lesson." He was being hopeful, but in his head, the gaming unicorn felt that the earth stallion would be stubborn to no end. One could only hope if the bully would eventually turn over a new leaf, but only time would tell.

Edited by Dynamo Pad

@Dynamo Pad

A short time later...

Twilight's  hooves pounded the ground in a full run, with her heart beating hard.  She was practically frantic with worry.  Spike clung to her neck to keep form bouncing off her back.  "Twilight, don't panic," he said,  "You know what happens when you panic!" Twilight spoke rapidly. "Panic?Me?panic?Wahtareyoutalkingabout?I'mnotpanickingWhywouldIpanic?It'sonlymyadoptedsisterbestfreindforeverinthehospitalememergencyroominpainfromwhoknowswhat!"

And then, when she, Spike, and Luna arrived at the hospital entrance, she gasped to catch her breath.  "Okay, okay. Let's be calm." she said trying to be dignified when she walked in and approached the front desk.   Spike rolled his eyes. When the receptionist asked, "May I help you," Twilight blurted out, "BluebellshrubWhere'sBlubellshrub?"  "She's very worried about Miss Bluebell," Luna said in a calm voice, "we all are."

@Ragland Tiger

A short time later...

Dynamo and Bluebell had managed to find the Canterlot hospital, due to Block Beak's guidance. After arriving, Dynamo briskly made his way up to the front desk to alert the ponies on staff that Bluebell was hurt. Explaining in as much detail of the events that had happened, but only adding anything when Bluebell had explained the situation. Once the doctor had came to wheel Bluebell away for examinations of her foreleg, Dynamo had moved himself over towards a nearby chair. Taking a seat, he sighed softly as he allowed the previous events to unfold in his mind. So much had happened in only a short matter of time. Even though he didn't want to blame himself, he still felt as if he could have done something. 'If I was only a bit faster and if I was more confident, then maybe...' He was broken out of his thoughts as someone had burst through the front door. Ears perking, Dynamo raised his gaze from the floor to the pony in question. Blinking in surprise, he was momentarily taken aback from her speaking so quickly. Almost as if she was in a sort of panic, that he didn't realize that there was also a dragon sitting on the mare's back. It wasn't until that the name Bluebell was mentioned from the other pony with them that he sprung to life. Getting out of his seat, the gaming unicorn had taken a step forward towards the trio that had just arrived.

"Um...e-excuse me. Did you happen to mention Bluebell?" He asks, hoping to gain their attention of the three.

On 2022-02-20 at 7:10 PM, Dynamo Pad said:

It wasn't until that the name Bluebell was mentioned from the other pony with them that he sprung to life. Getting out of his seat, the gaming unicorn had taken a step forward towards the trio that had just arrived.

"Um...e-excuse me. Did you happen to mention Bluebell?" He asks, hoping to gain their attention of the three.

@Dynamo Pad

"You know Bluebell Shrub?" said Princess Luna.

Edited by Ragland Tiger