Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if School Daze was the first episode of MLP: FiM and the student 6 were our mane 6?

Denim&Venöm

Instead of getting Return of NMM and introductions to the main 6, we basically get the plot of School Daze as our first episode of FiM? Celestia sends Twilight to oversee the opening of a new school in ponyville set up to foster bonds between ponies an the other mystical races of the land. We still get Neigh Say's xenophobic stance and strict methods of schooling, with Twi complying at first so as not to disappoint her mentor, but seeing the school falling apart, goes with her heart and helps run it how she sees fit. Neigh Say leaves as reoccurring antagonist, Celestia praises Twi for thinking for herself and others first and promotes Twi to a student teacher/ teachers aide role to both learn the magic of friendship as well as help spread it to new students. 

So this would set up MLP as a slice of life/ high school show with a fantasy twist right out the gate, putting the more adventurous aspects on the back burner. There would be a far more diverse cast and Twi would be promoted to almost a big sister role rather than audience stand in. Somebody a bit more wise and capable than the student six, but still has learning and growing to do herself. 

How would this version of MLP have fared back in 2010, abandoning the saccharine tea parties of G3  and the adventurous aspects of G1 and instead going the magical slice of school life path instead? How would tossing in themes of discrimination, xenophobia and critiques of modern education have flown in a children's program's first two episodes? Would toys of the student six have sold well back then? And would older fans have gravitated towards the student six and Twilight as much as the mane six ponies?

• Brohoof 4

The Student 6 would be nowhere near as hated, that's for sure. However, if the show had started with that kind of plot, I don't think it would've been as popular. Nowhere NEAR as many people would've been turned off by a plot like back in 2010 as opposed to 2018 or heaven forbid, current year, but ponies and school...there's a good reason why I doubt starting the show off like that would've made the show the same hit it was with the original pilot. They already had an MLP show like that, My Little Pony Tales. It only lasted one season and a perceived retread probably wouldn't make it big. 

• Brohoof 3

It'd be an interesting change that's for sure, and I'm pretty sure that the Young 6 would be seen differently as well given that they had more time to get character development. Though I doubt it would be as exciting or have a lot of hype since this would mean it has a similar formula to other high school cartoon shows, which plenty of other shows had already taken and used. Besides, doesn't Equestria Girls already use the high school plot?

P.S. I have a feeling they have to do something the title as well even if the franchise is called My Little Pony. If the show includes other creatures, I don't think it'd make sense for the title to only be about ponies if it'll also include griffons, changelings, dragons, etc.

Edited by Reality Check
  • Brohoof 1

It is unlikely the show would have focused on a main cast as diverse as the young six, considering the name of the series.
The idea of discrimination and xenophobia seems interesting, but I don't know whether the complexity of such issues could be adapted to the intended demographic, while being intellectually appropriate to older audiences. Also, you forget that an important aspect of the show is escapism. Some people do not want the complexity of real life issues or politics in their entertainment. And would rather have that saccharine to sweeten their lives instead.
As I said, the nature of co-existence across different races and cultures is complicated, due to the subversive and exploitative nature of individuality over unity consciousness. Human beings are competitive animals prone to their own animalism, regardless of culture or race.
I am not sure the fans would have gravitated towards the student six. As they stand in the original show, they seem bland and pointless to me. But if they were used with interesting narratives focusing on their origins, cultures, interactions, differences and conflicts with one another, then there is chance they would have been more popular. But the show is still called my little pony. So, I am not sure the equine lovers would have been as thrilled with said diversity cast disrupting the original homogeneity that gave origin to the brony term.
No clue about toys and merchandising.

• Brohoof 3

"What if School Daze was the first episode of MLP: FiM and the student 6 were our mane 6?"

The title would be "My Little Pony: Whoa! I'm Like, the Only One Starring: Sandbar and Friends". 

• Brohoof 5

definitely would not watch it because of how much I hate the Student Six. Their whole existence and the concept of the School of Friendship was appalling already so to have an entire show stuck there with bland, paper-thin characters with all but one not even being ponies would've bombed immediately. It's called My Little Pony, not My Little Pathetic Non-pony Student!

• Brohoof 1

20 minutes ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

definitely would not watch it because of how much I hate the Student Six. Their whole existence and the concept of the School of Friendship was appalling already so to have an entire show stuck there with bland, paper-thin characters with all but one not even being ponies would've bombed immediately. It's called My Little Pony, not My Little Pathetic Non-pony Student!

and in that other dimension we meet another tom who likes the student six and hates the mane six..... dundun duuuuuunnnnn!!!

If that was the case, I most likely wouldn't have even bothered to watch any more of the show, and just deem it a bland children's show. The main reasons I become so interested in FiM, asides from Equestria, were the main six and the simple, but rich premise of the series. Both of these aspects would most likely be absent from this alternate version of FiM. The last two seasons of the show are easily my least favorite in the series, so if that was the entirety of the show I wouldn't have ended up watching or liking it.

As for the whole of the franchise, I highly doubt it would become anywhere near the popularity if it went that route. First off, its main cast would predominately be a set of teenagers in a high school setting rather than the interesting group of adults with jobs and career goals that the fandom fell in love with. It would just be the "same old" school driven kids show that is so prominent in the genre. Secondly, people would likely get bored by getting taught the same lesson in very episode, especially if it was done in an obnoxious and preachy way. Plus, the show would loose that escapism that so many, including myself, loved about the series. In addition, Neighsay being the re-occurring villain would be stale and obnoxious, not interesting and original like FiMs variety of villains. Finally, it wouldn't even really feel like My Little Pony anymore. The pony focus of the show played a major part in it becoming a phenomenon, and without that the fandom wouldn't be the same.  My guess is that the series wouldn't have made it past three seasons (if even that) if it started with School Daze and the Student Six.

• Brohoof 4

Yes please. ALL MY YES. I personally wish they should of been introduced earlier in the show. Like, sheesh man.

I really don't give a flying feather if I'm the only one on the forums that like them.

As I said before, I'm extremely "odd", but it is what it is.

Edited by Ocean Breeze
  • Brohoof 1

Personally I think it would've given some spice to the show that it needed. I love the Mane 6, but the Student 6 added an element that I always craved and wish was explored in more depth.

• Brohoof 2

For some reason, I still think 4chan would have made this the biggest show in the entire world no matter what story it had. Cute ponies, or cute creatures, didn't matter. It was a media revolution that was going to happen, no matter what.

I am glad it was Rainbow Dash avatars on the internet, and not Yona. Maybe a Yona with rainbow colored hair would have worked? Anyways, the ponies like Twilight Sparkle and Princess Celestia would still have made the difference (like they did), no matter if School Daze was the first episode.

• Brohoof 2

I highly doubt Friendship is Magic would be getting the same attention throughout its run if the Student Six were the main focus from the very beginning. A show called "My Little Pony" isn't going to last if it starts with a vast majority of non-pony characters.

• Brohoof 4

Then we might as well called the "My Little Creature" show if that were to be the case.:ButtercupLaugh:

In all seriousness, if they went to that direction from the beginning, then I wouldn't check out the show in the first place. It would've been My Little Pony Tales 2.0, except with creatures, and even more bland and boring. Plus, it would've been a in-name only reboot if they kept the "Pony" name in the title.

Edited by JMTV99
  • Brohoof 3

• 4 months later...