Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

AFTER your first day in Equestria

SasQ

There's a couple of threads on this forum in the lines of "You've been teleported to Equestria, what's the 1st thing you do?" or "If you could visit equestria for 1 day, what would you do?", etc.

But I couldn't find any thread that would ask what would you do AFTER that first day, when you've got all your wishes and dreams of meeting your idol ponies come true, did all those things that you ever wished to do, etc., and now you are about to stay in Equestria for the rest of your life :J   What would be the NEXT thing that you do?

I mean, you'll stay here for a while, so you need some place to live, right?

But it's not that the ponies you met will let you stay in their house forever :q  Even Fluttershy will finally tell you that you have to move out, as she did with the Breezies.
So you need some place to live that would be your own. Where would you like to live? In Ponyville? In Starlight's village? In Canterlot? In the Everfree Forest? Someplace else?
If you want to have your own house, will you build it yourself? In that case, where will you find all the construction materials?
If you plan to buy a house ready made for you by some construction ponies, or rent a house, how will you afford it?

So yeah, bits. You need bits… How will you get your bits?
I don't suppose you have much to sell? You've just been teleported here with some magical spell, you most likely don't even have a shirt on your back, neither you own any other belongings (at least not yet).
Where will you get your stuff? How do you buy it? Or maybe you can make it? But where will you get all the resources?
Or maybe there's some special talent that you could use to get bits?
Maybe you're a maker? Or you can fix stuff? Or maybe you can sing?

What would your everyday life in Equestria look like?
What would you do for a living?
What would you do for fun?

Maybe you want to be a farmer and grow some food, as Earth Ponies do? Do you have any experience with that? Or maybe you have some idea of how could you get such experience?
Or maybe you're a Pegasus and you could help other Pegasi with the weather? Do you know how to do that? Will they see you as competent enough to let you do that?
Or maybe you want to become a magic student, like some of the Unicorns? Do you think that you would be good at magic? Reading books, studying spells, experimenting with potions?

These are all valid questions that I don't see many people asking themselves when they talk about being teleported to Equestria. Most of the time they talk about their dreams and wishes, but not very often do they talk what would they do after they accomplished all those dreams, and faced the plain-ness of ordinary, everyday life. (Which ponies in Equestria also have, you know?)

So what are your thoughts?
What would YOU do in your next days in Equestria?
What you do to not end up as a homeless, hobo pony? :J

Edited by SasQ
  • Brohoof 2

19 minutes ago, SasQ said:

There's a couple of threads on this forum in the lines of "You've been teleported to Equestria, what's the 1st thing you do?" or "If you could visit equestria for 1 day, what would you do?", etc.

But I couldn't find any thread that would ask what would you do AFTER that first day, when you've got all your wishes and dreams of meeting your idol ponies come true, did all those things that you ever wished to do, etc., and now you are about to stay in Equestria for the rest of your life :J   What would be the NEXT thing that you do?

I mean, you'll stay here for a while, so you need some place to live, right?

But it's not that the ponies you met will let you stay in their house forever :q  Even Fluttershy will finally tell you that you have to move out, as she did with the Breezies.
So you need some place to live that would be your own. Where would you like to live? In Ponyville? In Starlight's village? In Canterlot? In the Everfree Forest? Someplace else?
If you want to have your own house, will you build it yourself? In that case, where will you find all the construction materials?
If you plan to buy a house ready made for you by some construction ponies, or rent a house, how will you afford it?

So yeah, bits. You need bits… How will you get your bits?
I don't suppose you have much to sell? You've just been teleported here with some magical spell, you most likely don't even have a shirt on your back, neither you own any other belongings (at least not yet).
Where will you get your stuff? How do you buy it? Or maybe you can make it? But where will you get all the resources?
Or maybe there's some special talent that you could use to get bits?
Maybe you're a maker? Or you can fix stuff? Or maybe you can sing?

What would your everyday life in Equestria look like?
What would you do for a living?
What would you do for fun?

Maybe you want to be a farmer and grow some food, as Earth Ponies do? Do you have any experience with that? Or maybe you have some idea of how could you get such experience?
Or maybe you're a Pegasus and you could help other Pegasi with the weather? Do you know how to do that? Will they see you as competent enough to let you do that?
Or maybe you want to become a magic student, like some of the Unicorns? Do you think that you would be good at magic? Reading books, studying spells, experimenting with potions?

These are all valid questions that I don't see many people asking themselves when they talk about being teleported to Equestria. Most of the time they talk about their dreams and wishes, but not very often do they talk what would they do after they accomplished all those dreams, and faced the plain-ness of ordinary, everyday life. (Which ponies in Equestria also have, you know?)

So what are your thoughts?
What would YOU do in your next days in Equestria?
What you do to not end up as a homeless, hobo pony? :J

omg!!!!!!!

love your idea

Life in Equestria would suck (G5 probably a bit less than G4, but still bad). A lot.

At first I would probably look for some cheap or free place to live - maybe some unused cave of something.

I would then try to start a business "inventing" human technology, probably augmented with magic and adapted to be used by ponies (a normal gun would be difficult to use with hooves for example). Hopefully it picks up and Equestria (G4) has an industrial revolution.

Or I would somehow persuade Twilight or whoever to let me go through the mirror to EG world, hopefully with a few gold coins in my pocket.

• Brohoof 1

That's the thing about if you went to a fantasy world. No matter how cool it is you're gonna have to get a job and deal with real life crap same as here.

I guess I'd just try to find somepony who would employ me same as here. 

shrug_pony_twilight_modified_by_trollest

• Brohoof 2

Princess Twilight, Rarity and I already have an arrangement. 

My first day in Ponyville would consist of moving in to the Castle of Friendship after learning the ins and outs of Carousel Boutique's new "art division".

Also, I wouldn't need money because I had the forethought to bring my golden egg laying goose with me. :orly:

I’d apply for a magic school (assuming I’d turn into my OC Pencil Pouch) so I could use my horn without worrying about blowing things up or anything crazy. About finding a place to live, though, I’d probably just a hotel unless one of the ponies was willing to rent out a room to me.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
20 hours ago, Pentium100 said:

Life in Equestria would suck (G5 probably a bit less than G4, but still bad). A lot.

Then why is it that so many Humans want to go there anyway? :J

At first I would probably look for some cheap or free place to live - maybe some unused cave of something.

An unused cave, that's an interesting idea…

I would then try to start a business "inventing" human technology, probably augmented with magic and adapted to be used by ponies

That's a really good idea! Of course that depends on how much do you know about how Human technology actually works ;) Because, unfortunately, not many Humans do, which is rather sad :q Also, knowing how something works is one thing, but knowing how to actually manufacture it (i.e. the production technology and know-how, the tools needed, the materials) is another. I know how a car works, but I don't think I'd ever be capable of making one, even a crappy replica, let alone having all the tools required.
And that's another thing: Many people don't think about how much thought and complexity went into their everyday objects, and because of that, they don't appreciate it. Take a drinking glass, for example. Do you know the formula for glass? Do you know what all the ingredients are and what's their purpose? Do you know the process of making glass? Once I've seen one dude on YouTube who tried to make glass, and all he managed to get is a solid piece of ugly crystal that wasn't even transparent, let alone forming it into a desired shape. So yeah, restoring civilization from scratch is not an easy thing, my dude ;J

a normal gun would be difficult to use with hooves

No, we definitely don't want guns in Equestria :eww:

But yeah, it's quite interesting to think about why there aren't ones already. The gunpowder formula seems to be rather simple for anyone who knows basic chemistry / Alchemy after all, right? And it seems that ponies already have it, because they have fireworks. There's also Pinkie's party cannon. So why aren't there any guns?
I was asking myself the same questions one day, when I was brainstorming for one of my stories, and did a bit of research on the subject, and it turns out that there's actually a long road from knowing the ingredients of gunpowder to inventing guns that work. First, knowing the ingredients are not enough, you also need to know their correct proportions. But even then, gunpowder is just highly combustive, but not an explosive yet. The first uses of gunpowder were for setting things on fire. Like, burning arrows, fire lances etc. It took another century or two before someone put gunpowder into a clay pot and it exploded instead of burning, because of the increased pressure of gases that had nowhere to go. So another step in this development was explosives and grenades. Then someone else figured out that explosion of the gun powder can set heavy objects, like rocks or cannon balls, into motion. So cannons were the next step (and this was actually the biggest turning point in military history, because it changed how forts were designed, going from straight walls of castles to star-shaped forts
;)). The first actual guns evolved from fire lances, things like muskets & stuff. Modern guns don't use black gunpowder though, because it produces too much smoke and pollutes the barrel. Modern guns use white gunpowder which has a completely different formula, based on nitrocellulose.

hopefully with a few gold coins in my pocket

Finally, someone gets it! ;) I was facepalming so much when in "Turnabout Storm" Phoenix was like: "What would I do with all of that Equestrian money? It's useless in my world! I need USDs!", and I was like: "Dude! It's pure gold! You have an entire bag full of gold! And you want to exchange it for some worthless paper instead? That's why you're poor" :q

17 hours ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

I’ll be sure to live in Ponyville so I can be as close as possible to the Mane Six. They’ll be so much to talk about with them, it will take way more than a day.

Nice plan ;) But I think that you need to flesh it out some more. I mean, where will you live in Ponyville, exactly? How will you pay for your room? What will you do to get those bits?

14 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

That's the thing about if you went to a fantasy world. No matter how cool it is you're gonna have to get a job and deal with real life crap same as here.

True that :> That was the entire point of my question ;) However, not all worlds are created equal. In some of them it's less hard to survive. I mean, you don't see many hobo ponies digging through people's dumpsters in Equestria, do you? There must be some reason behind that. Maybe it's easier in Equestria to get a nice job and earn them bits than in Human World? I mean, just go to the Rock Farm and farm some rocks for a while. It worked for Trixie ;) Or go to the mines and try digging up some gemstones and selling them to Rarity, there seems to be plenty of them sprinkled all over Equestria (gemstones, not Rarities ;)). Or maybe do the other thing that Trixie did and arrange some street performance? Working on Applejack's farm and helping her with her work also might be a good idea to get some bits, or at least some fresh food.

Now try any of that in Human World. It wouldn't be so easy, would it? :q  Even street performances seem to be unwelcome, there's immediately police around, confiscating your bits and scaring you away :unamused: Almost as if the entire Human society was designed to be as unwelcoming and hard as possible for people to be able to support themselves, isn't it? :dash:

14 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

I guess I'd just try to find somepony who would employ me same as here.

And what would you like to do? Are there any particular jobs you would be interested in? What are the things that you're good at? (I mean, as your ponysona)

12 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

My first day in Ponyville would consist of

I thing you might have misread the title ;) It's not about your first day in Equestria, but about what would you do after your first day, being stuck in Equestria for the rest of your life :umad:

12 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Also, I wouldn't need money because I had the forethought to bring my golden egg laying goose with me.

THAT'S ILLEGAL! ;o  Nice try though ;>

Edited by SasQ
  • Brohoof 2

30 minutes ago, SasQ said:

Then why is it that so many Humans want to go there anyway? :J

I don't know. I know I would not like to go there permanently. Go there for a vacation, sure, permanently - hell no. At least not without a few rail cars of stuff, but even then I don't think I would like it.

32 minutes ago, SasQ said:

Of course that depends on how much do you know about how Human technology actually works ;) Because, unfortunately, not many Humans do, which is rather sad :q Also, knowing how something works is one thing, but knowing how to actually manufacture it (i.e. the production technology and know-how, the tools needed, the materials) is another.

Not enough to immediately build a working gun or a vacuum tube, but enough to have a jump start on those.

34 minutes ago, SasQ said:

there's actually a long road from knowing the ingredients of gunpowder to inventing guns that work

Yes. However, there is a difference between having to figure out that something is possible and then iguring out how to do it and having a rough idea and refining it. 

For example - the first steam engines worked in a very weird way - fill the cylinder with steam at low pressure, then squirt some water inside - this cools the steam down, causes it to condense and create vacuum, the vacuum pulls the piston in. They worked, but were so inefficient that they could only be used for pumping water out of coal mines (where coal was cheap). Then later, (I think it was James Watt) figured out that you could have steam at a big higher pressure and use that to push the piston, while doing the condensing part in a separate place, so the cylinder is not repeatedly heated and then cooled. This improved efficiency a lot and allowed steam engines to be used for other things. Then Richard Trevithick built a steam engine that used steam at much higher pressure and, as such, was small and light enough to move under its own power.. George Stephenson then improved on the boiler design by having multiple tubes for better heating efficiency.

So, if I found myself in Equestria, I would go to the blacksmith or whoever and work with him to make a high pressure boiler, similar to that of the "Rocket" instead of going through all the steps that were taken in history.

Similar to how high quality recordings on magnetic tape (AC bias) were made possible essentially by accident. Well, I already know that, so I would not need to first figure it out. I would need to figure out how to attach iron oxide to a paper tape and how to build vacuum tubes that work well enough for audio amplification.

Same with black powder - I already know that it can be used to blow stuff up and push objects out of a barrel, so I would be skipping some steps. Also, maybe some alchemist in Equestria has already invented smokeless powder, but has not figure out that you can use it to blow stuff up or push objects out of a barrel.

I would expect others to pick up on my ideas and improve them, similar to how it happened in history, but faster. 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, SasQ said:

I thing you might have misread the title ;) It's not about your first day in Equestria, but about what would you do after your first day, being stuck in Equestria for the rest of your life :umad:

After my first day in Equestria,

I would be working with Rarity at Carousel Boutique by helping her make designs for advertisements for her shop.  

I would be homeless. The same way I would be homeless in the real world, if it wasn't because the universe has deemed otherwise. I am too tired to give a damn anymore. Besides, a life of poverty can be a powerful catalyst for humility and spiritual realization. Especially, for those who gave ourselves wholly to the pleasures of materialism in previous lives. It is either that, or becoming a tree. And I can't become a tree without my beloved nimueh to tend to my branches and keep dogs from urinating on me.

Been working on this intermittently all day.

I'm going to make the assumption that I'm in the form of my OC, and that it's just me, not this whole forum appearing in Ponyville. I may be a pegasus, but having never had wings as a person, I doubt I can fly immediately.

I think I usually answer the first day's with going to the library to learn about Equestria and its history rather than interrupt somepony's day with a story that sounds insane.

I'm going to hope that I was overlooked and happened to pass out while reading. By default, my first night would be spent in the Castle of Friendship. Unless I went through the marketplace the day before and was given a sample of a new cupcake or something, I haven't eaten anything.

Spoiler

In the 18th and 19th century, people generated a lot less garbage than we do today, but in densely populated areas, removal services were put in place, where "dust bins" would be put out weekly for collection. Dust from burning coal was used as material for making bricks for some time. Organics were brought to pig farms for consumption, and we know there's one on Sweet Apple Acres. The manure is then repurposed for fields. Everything else was either recycled, buried, or burned. In Season 2, Episode 19 "Putting Your Hoof Down", Fluttershy has her path blocked by Bon Bon and Cherry Berry whom are pulling carts filled with Trash.

In short, there are no dumpsters, but their are trash cans to root through. I'm hoping to find a jar with a lid, a decent scrap of fabric or burlap sack, and something I can eat. Let's say I find those, along with some discarded carrot tops, and the stale end to a loaf of bread. I don't want to establish a bad reputation, so I don't root for long and go for a walk towards the end of town to clear my head. I find my way to sweet apple acres, and walk the perimeter, picking up a few bruised apples that have rolled past the fence line. A little further and I find a stream which I use to clean the burlap sack and jar, using the latter to dissolve the stale bread into and drink the slurry.

Spoiler

This was often done way back when as a stew thickener, though it tastes far better on its own with milk which could be easily taken by the sick, elderly, or those with bad teeth. I believe they called this "Sop" and is both the origin for Soup and Slop.

I eat the carrot tops along with the apples and some grass. It's not a great meal but I'm full. I hang the jar and sack on a branch to dry, which brings the need of a shelter to my attention. A lean-to of fallen branches with some leaf litter will have to do. It is here when I realize the difficulty that comes with no longer having fingers.

Having a place to return to in the evening, I make my way back into town. Hopefully there's a message board in the middle of town. I'd like to see a map, along with scheduled weather, and potential job postings. I can also check out the help wanted section in a discarded newspaper when I go rooting through bins again in the evening, perhaps catching someone throwing away lunch or dinner leftovers as well. I return to the library for a little more research, as well as borrowing a pencil and parchment to write notes and maybe resumes as best I can? Mid afternoon I'll head off in search of dinner so that I'm ready to settle in for the evening before it's dark.

I'm thinking if I find any cheese, I'll save it as a treat for Winona when I go by Sweet Apple Acres again. Most of the apples should get picked up during the day, and an empty stomach will make those on the trees far too tempting. Bribing the dog will prevent her from alerting a member of the Apple family. I'm hoping to find another jar and burlap sack. I'll wash these in the stream like the others, and use the dry jar to hold my papers, and roll up the sack to use as a pillow. A fruit boxes would be good for makeshift storage, shelving, furniture, and even shelter support. I once build a shed out of old fence posts, reused the old nails and had a rock for a hammer. The following morning I wish to find a job that will immediately put me to work.

Spoiler

It took a while, but my Google search eventually found a line from a book on hearings from 1936, stating that crop pickers were usually paid weekly, sometimes daily, but could request their pay at any point. Rates can be hourly, but similar to today is more based on the quantity of a quality harvest. I think Equestria would have this kind of work readily available. I can provide myself meals and purchase necessary items by receiving pay on the daily for my first week. Week two I could find a room to rent and get paid weekly. After a month, I could have enough saved up to look into finding a more regular job within Ponyville. Another month and perhaps I'd have saved up enough to take the train elsewhere and find another place to live and work. Perhaps the royal guard would be a decent option?

Anyways, that's ye Olde homelessness for you, on hoof.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, SasQ said:

Nice plan ;) But I think that you need to flesh it out some more. I mean, where will you live in Ponyville, exactly? How will you pay for your room? What will you do to get those bits?

Any house that's available. Maybe close to Sugarcube Corner? I can pay, I have money!

• Brohoof 1

Ideally I'd be a unicorn who specializes in the more theoretical and scientific sort of magic that Twilight has expertise in. So, I'd learn as much as possible and become an academic who specializes in research, as well as education for young unicorns who wish to take a similar path. Though I'd try not to be a shut-in like Moondancer was before her reunion with Twilight.

Just in case trouble arrives--and let's face it, powerful villains show up often in Equestria--I'd like to learn ways to use magic for self-defense.

• Brohoof 1

I just realized this would have me screwed. I'm getting a root canal in a few days. Broke my tooth a little over a month ago and I have a temporary cap on it. I feel fine but this is a little time sensitive! It's one thing to forgo your relationships and belongings for the sake of the scenario, otherwise we'd all be miserable wretches. I'm really unprepared for an overdue oral procedure! :sealed:

Would we be able to arrive with what we'd normally have on our person? The card in my wallet wouldn't suddenly provide me an Equestrian bank account or all of my funds in a big money bag, but what of the cash? Could that be magically converted as our bodies have been to fit within Equestria? It's not unusual for me to be carrying between $40-200, as well as pain meds, a candy tin and other random items that come in handy for emergencies. That's just how I am. :laugh:

@Pentium100 @SasQ

Some human inventions would go over well, but Equestria does have some technology that wasn't around for us until the 70s and 80s. It's not highly prevalent, but since it does exist while other things don't appear to, I think it's very likely that some things have been banned.

• Brohoof 2

• The title was changed to AFTER your first day in Equestria
(edited)
On 2022-01-31 at 7:01 AM, Pentium100 said:

Go there for a vacation, sure, permanently - hell no.

So what is it that you would be missing the most?

At least not without a few rail cars of stuff

Well, there are trains in Equestria, as well as hot air balloons and zeppelins. But even travelling "on foot" (if I may say so) might be easier if you're a horse and you have 4 legs instead of just 2 ;)

Not enough to immediately build a working gun or a vacuum tube, but enough to have a jump start on those.

For sure ;) BTW I think that you might like "Dr. Stone" (in case you haven't watched it yet). It's an anime about restarting the civillization from scratch with science after a global cataclysm.

the first steam engines worked in a very weird way - fill the cylinder with steam at low pressure, then squirt some water inside - this cools the steam down, causes it to condense and create vacuum, the vacuum pulls the piston in.

The first steam engine? :confused: Didn't you hear about Heron's aeolipile? It's been described by Heron of Alexandria in 1st century A.D., but the design might be even older than that.

So, if I found myself in Equestria, I would go to the blacksmith or whoever and work with him to make a high pressure boiler, similar to that of the "Rocket"

Well, as I said, there already are steam engines and trains in Equestria:

latest?cb=20140713001506&f=1&nofb=1

Sure, there were some misconceptions at first about how it should be used ;)

latest?cb=20120630042433&f=1&nofb=1

But ponies figured out the right way rather quickly.

instead of going through all the steps that were taken in history.

True. You can take shortcuts like that if you already know where it all goes and understand the end result, and not having to depend on luck and trial and error.
There's a risk of making something that you don't quite understand if you only know the end result though and not with all the intermediate steps that led to it.
But I'm pretty sure you're aware of that.

Same with black powder - I already know that it can be used to blow stuff up and push objects out of a barrel, so I would be skipping some steps. Also, maybe some alchemist in Equestria has already invented smokeless powder, but has not figure out that you can use it to blow stuff up or push objects out of a barrel.

You seem to have obsession about those guns ;> So let me ask:  Why do you think that it would be a good idea to bring guns to Equestria, a peaceful country with not much crime and violence? Don't you think that guns might introduce some of the problems that exist in the Human World? (To be clear, I'm not against guns myself – they have their uses. But it's a technology that gives a lot of power, so if this power doesn't come with responsibility and reason, and if its availability is monopolized by certain groups who gain power over others that way, it might also be very dangerous and destructive to the society, as we often observe in the Human World. People have to be mature enough for certain technologies to be used properly by them.)

On 2022-01-31 at 7:26 AM, They call me Loyalty said:

I would be homeless.

:D Welp, if that's what floats your boat?…  I mean, that's one way to live your life, for sure. And there's nothing wrong with it as long as that's how you like it. Like the Snufkin from Moomins.
In Equestria, such life is definitely easier than in the Human World, because you can just walk around and live in the woods etc., and no one would
tell you away or arrest you. There's also more ways to get food in the wild: berries on shrubs, apples on wild apple trees, mushrooms in the forest (just avoid the poisonous ones :q ).
Heck, there's also grass. Ponies can eat grass, even if it's not very civilized at their current level of development, but it's still a viable option for a poor homeless pony :q
There's also water in rivers and lakes, rain water is also much cleaner than in the Human World (no pollution etc.).
You can also collect stuff in the woods and bring it to the town market to sell in exchange for bits that you can then use to buy food.
There's definitely more options available than in the Human World where you are pretty much forced to live in a certain way, and once you don't, they make your life as hard as possible to force you to comply :q

Besides, a life of poverty can be a powerful catalyst for humility and spiritual realization.

True that. I'm rather poor myself, and life without much of money taught me to look at things that surround me and think how can I use, reuse, or repurpose them it in a different way for my needs. I look for how can I use the stuff that surrounds me, or make stuff myself instead of buying a ready-made one. So for me, it's definitely a catalyst for creativity. Dunno about spiritual things though, I'm not into this kind of things.

Especially, for those who gave ourselves wholly to the pleasures of materialism in previous lives.

Materialism is not necessarily a bad thing – our bodies are material, our world is material, so ignoring this fact won't get you too far in a material world :q (hey, maybe that's the reason for your poverty?)  Materialism is bad when it consumes you, when you focus more on material stuff and its value rather than on other, more abstract / spiritual stuff like friendship, love, being a good person etc. But it all depends on what you do with material things. Take a look at Rarity: she's pretty materialistic if you ask me ;> She loves shiny things, sophisticated things, high-class stuff. And he might be greedy at times ;) But she balances it with her Generosity, giving back to the society and supporting other ponies whenever she can. It wouldn't be possible for her if she wasn't a business pony, would it? :q Even if she still could be generous, her gifts and help couldn't be as significant.

It is either that, or becoming a tree.

Well, that could be arranged… :J  Remember those trees at the bayou that give you Swamp Feaver? :q

And I can't become a tree without my beloved nimueh to tend to my branches and keep dogs from urinating on me.

Hahah this probably wasn't supposed to make me laugh, but it did :ButtercupLaugh: I wonder if Fluttershy considered that when she said that she would like to be a tree :q

Edited by SasQ

5 minutes ago, SasQ said:

So what is it that you would be missing the most?

There are some people I care about IRL, I would miss them. I also would miss my stuff - my music collection, my movie collection, the equipment to play it, my car, even my house. 

To me, Equestria would be a nice place to visit and see the sights, but for me to go there permanently, well, it would suck. A lot. G5 would suck a less, but still above the "acceptable suckage" level.

I also think that some people who would be the first in line for a one-way trip to Equestria (especially G4) would find that it is not as good as they think, because they do not consider the negative aspects. This is not aimed at any one person in particular, just a thought. For example, would you be OK with leaving everyone you ever knew behind and never seeing them again? Parents, friends, significant other, children? Would you be OK with them never seeing you again? Would you be OK with no cellphone and no quick access to information and no fast way to communicate? A lot of Bronies are young people (younger than me) and a lot of young people are kind-of addicted to their phones, so... Or, for example - you go to Equestria, meet your favorite pony and the pony decides to have nothing to do with you or turns out to be a lot different than in your imagination. Or it turns out that ponies are incredibly racist against humans (well, they were racist against a zebra).

10 minutes ago, SasQ said:

Well, there are trains in Equestria, as well as hot air balloons and zeppelins.

You missed my point. Let's say someone warned me that, say,in a year, I would be transported to Equestria (G4 time, tough it would't really matter if it was G5, probably better), but I can take as many "portable" things as I want (I can't take my house, but anything that can be moved). I would have to prepare multiple shipping containers with all the equipment, tools, spare parts, fuel, oil, printed documents etc. That's what I meant "a few railcars of stuff".

14 minutes ago, SasQ said:

The first steam engine? :confused: Didn't you hear about Heron's aeolipile? It's been described by Heron of Alexandria in 1st century A.D., but the design might be even older than that.

OK, "the first steam engine that was actually used to do real work". I don't think Heron ever figured out a use for his invention other than showing it off to people for entertainment.

18 minutes ago, SasQ said:

You seem to have obsession about those guns ;> So let me ask:  Why do you think that it would be a good idea to bring guns to Equestria, a peaceful country with not much crime and violence?

Well, it would probably take me less time to figure out how to make a working gun than something more complicated. If the guns have demand, I could make money by licensing the patents and, as such, have money to do the more complicated things. 

I'm pretty sure figuring out how to make a working primitive gun would be easier than figuring out how to make an electric generator and a working tape recorder., but I would need to show that I can do something and I would need money, so...

As for the need for them, well, Equestria probably does not sell meat in shops (maybe the Griffons have it, but it would probably be expensive to import), so I would have to figure out which animals in the Everfree forest taste the best. I would rather hunt with a gun than with a bow and arrows.