Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

what was the first actual BAD episode of FiM?

phantompone1148

2 hours ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Griffon the Brush Off. The episode started off fine, but the second Twilight accused Pinkie of being "jealous," it went off the rails. Gilda wanted to spend some time with Rainbow Dash, but she also went way too far by being overly aggressive, and Pinkie was right to complain. Its moral about standing up with your true friends is great. Unfortunately, turning GIlda antagonistic undercuts the very moral it was trying to teach.

This.

Gilda was the first side character who rubbed me the wrong way. Rainbow Dash pulling all the pranks at the party was just not a good idea and I don't think anybody truly learned a thing from the ordeal apart from Twilight (who rightfully apologized for not taking Pinkie's concerns seriously). Pinkie deserved better.

• Brohoof 3

On 2022-02-06 at 8:48 PM, Dark Qiviut said:

Griffon the Brush Off. The episode started off fine, but the second Twilight accused Pinkie of being "jealous," it went off the rails. Gilda wanted to spend some time with Rainbow Dash, but she also went way too far by being overly aggressive, and Pinkie was right to complain. Its moral about standing up with your true friends is great. Unfortunately, turning GIlda antagonistic undercuts the very moral it was trying to teach.

Why do you think that undercut the moral? Twilight was portrayed as in the wrong for hastly coming to that conclusion and gaslighting Pinkie Pie, the episode was not trying to say that Pinkie was actually jealous. I actually really like this episode. I think it's funny, I really liked Pinkie and Rainbow bonding, i liked the moral, and I like how it did not do the typical jealousy plotline and made Pinkie in the right. I will concede that Gilda was annoying with her mannerisms and could have been portrayed better, but that's my only issue with the episode. 

• Brohoof 1

I've actually enjoyed every episode so I can not say there was ever a moment I thought that. Perhaps that is because usually when I watched the show I was just hyped for new episodes.

Would always go and get some snacks to prepare for the episode.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94
  • Brohoof 1

On 2022-02-06 at 1:05 AM, xLuneti said:

Lesson Zero. The episode is not that bad but it creates the whole "Twilight goes crazy under pressure" that is horrible for the rest of the series.

Rewatching "Lesson Zero" over the years has lead me to this same conclusion

which, is a shame because it was also the episode that made Twilight Sparkle my favorite pony. 

I've grown to prefer "It's About Time" over Lesson Zero because it feels more relatable. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234

Boast Busters for me. Like many have pointed out in the past, the way Rainbow Dash, Applejack and Rarity act regarding a magic show comes off as being annoying, and Trixie is basically put in the wrong for it despite not even really doing anything until after they started acting out against her.

• Brohoof 1

Feeling Pinkie Keen.

I seriously just CAN'T with this episode. Obnoxious characters and a questionable moral just lead to an overall annoying episode.

• Brohoof 3

On 2022-02-17 at 12:56 PM, Pathfinder of Ash said:

Feeling Pinkie Keen.

I seriously just CAN'T with this episode. Obnoxious characters and a questionable moral just lead to an overall annoying episode.

There's of course the PAIN Twilight receives:( in this episode.  

1 hour ago, ZiggWheelsManning said:

There's of course the PAIN Twilight receives:( in this episode.  

Honestly, that bit of slapstick was probably the only good thing about the episode.

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-02-17 at 9:56 AM, Pathfinder of Ash said:

Feeling Pinkie Keen.

As terrible as the moral, story, and Twilight's characterization was in Feeling Pinkie Keen, I still can't help but love the episode because I find it hillarious 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, horses are weird said:

trixie did nothing wrong and i will die on this hill

Strong agree, she was just performing a show. She had no obligation to be "humble" in that context, and anyone who didn't like her attitude could have just left. Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Applejack were in the wrong in interrupting her show (especially Rainbow Dash with how in-humble she usually is). Boast Busters is such a garbage episode overall, by far the worst in season 1.

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-02-06 at 4:41 PM, xLuneti said:

Explain to me how twilight being crazy and brainwashing ponies is a masterpiece?

I don't like Lesson Zero for not being my cup of tea, but I can explain why it works so well.

1. Twilight Sparkle has various ticks, one of them being organized to a fault. If something isn't organized or out of order, then she overthinks and feels like she needs to correct. Obsessing with Mrs. Cake's cupcakes provides excellent foreshadowing of not just her downward spiral, but every single event from that point forward.
  2. Whereas Twilight descends further and further down the rabbit hole, Spike helps provide a cooler head. When she went to that dark point that required outside help, he alerted Celestia. At the time, it was his best appearance to date.
  3. Twilight's mental breakdown is further accentuated by all the visuals throughout the episode. Not just the illusion of ponies laughing at her, but how much everyone seemed to overreact. Rarity's fainting couch. Fluttershy wrestling the bear to massage his achy back. AJ and RD nuking an old barn on the former's property. Every action by them was over the top and had no connection, but because Twilight's report deadline was today, they accidentally helped her descend into her personal hell.
  4. At the time, Lesson Zero was the show's darkest episode, exploring Twilight's mental breakdown from her own point of view. Like Larson with Return of Harmony, McCarthy sprinkles well-done black humor throughout here, which balances the tone.
  5. Twilight is rightfully portrayed sympathetically. We see the strengths of her character, moments that trigger her signature flaw, and other moments throughout that only worsened the matter. From the very beginning, Twilight thought being tardy was a really big deal, and all she wanted was someone to help her complete the assignment on time. Telling herself to keep her composure didn't work.
  6. The RM5 laughing at her for it only made things exponentially worse. That's why she enacted the "Want It Need It" Spell. It was a last resort: Writing that friendship report on time MATTERS to her, and no one took her feelings seriously. If they spent a couple of minutes believing her and helping her, none of this would've happened. The RM5 share the blame, and rightfully so. That's why they recite the lesson at the end.
  • Brohoof 2

Newbie Dash. In other threads I've said my reasons. The writers absolutely wasted a huge opportunity to make Rainbow's debut as a Wonderbolt the absolute best...and then we get this dumpster fire...from Rainbow being unable to cope with the nickname, which means that hazing was being promoted due to the fact that nowhere did they have Rainbow speak up against. It's one of those "Jump, How high?" situations, which is dangerous for everyone and shows a distorted reality. 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Winter Wrap-Up always rubbed me the wrong way. I wasn't fond of the song and I dislike how they kept abusing Twilight for the sake of a joke, and seeing the ponies melt under pressure towards the end before Twilight intervenes always made me feel kind of uncomfortable. I especially hate the ending joke where Spike was going to FALL INTO A COLD LAKE and the ponies just laugh it off. :glimmer: Just never been an episode I liked, really...:yuck:

On 2022-04-16 at 6:51 PM, Shadowmoth2011 said:

Winter Wrap-Up always rubbed me the wrong way. I wasn't fond of the song and I dislike how they kept abusing Twilight for the sake of a joke, and seeing the ponies melt under pressure towards the end before Twilight intervenes always made me feel kind of uncomfortable. I especially hate the ending joke where Spike was going to FALL INTO A COLD LAKE and the ponies just laugh it off. :glimmer: Just never been an episode I liked, really...:yuck:

I don't hate it, but I do find Winter Wrap Up to be overrated and one of the weakest in Season 1. The world building and song is great, but the episode has nothing else going for it and is otherwise boring.

• Brohoof 1